Yuri/GL/wlw book club - Reading: アステリズムに花束を 百合SFアンソロジー

I’m a dumbass :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

umlimited options :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I would also be more interested in manga. I don’t really have enough time to commit for novels anytime soon

3 Likes

Yay, GL book club! Definitely interested.

Fellow wanikaners might be aware, but the LGBTQ+/GSRM Book Club is starting はなものがたり… uh, this week apparently :sweat_smile: it’s supposedly also wlw/GL, if anyone is interested!

4 Likes

I didn’t know actually!! Lol
I was planning on nominating it too :rofl:
Guess I’m gonna have to settle for one of the other dozen things I was looking at :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I read the 裏世界ピクニック novel series.
I really liked it but the romance part is really slow, if that’s an issue with anyone.

3 Likes

I would guess that really slow romance can be considered ambiguous :thinking:
We’ll see in the nomination polls I guess lol
since there seems to be a preference for manga rn it might not even come up unfortunately :sob:

1 Like

Well, I for one definitely want to read 異世界ピクニック! Love a good slow burn.

3 Likes

Here are a couple recommendations for yuri manga I read and enjoyed (not formal nominations):

And here are some on my plan to read list that I don’t know much about:

6 Likes

I enjoyed that one - it had a clear premise, with realistic characters (meaning they have their faults and make mistakes); I remember some people having mixed opinions about it, but I think it’s a great (not subtext) yuri story.

I did start this one, but dropped it halfway (I think back then due to irregular updates?). It’s a good story, but strong in angst/drama, so you need to be prepared for that before starting.

Love that one.

I haven’t read the rest but I’ll check them sometime; thanks for the recommendations!

4 Likes

So is it nominations period now, or are we waiting on that?

1 Like

I was planning on waiting 3 days to see how many people join up (since I see that it keeps going up, I thought it’ll stop with 4 lol)

Since the nominations are very obviously going to be either unlimited or 3 (probably the former at this point lol) I don’t see any reason that we can’t start throwing some nominations in right now, just keep it moderated so that there will be space for anyone coming in late :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Title: アステリズムに花束を 百合SFアンソロジー | L30??
Book type: Anthology / Short story collection
Available formats: physical / ebook

Summary - Japanese

百合とSFをテーマにした
世界初のアンソロジー

百合――女性間の関係性を扱った創作ジャンル。創刊以来初の3刷となったSFマガジン百合特集の宮澤伊織・森田季節・草野原々・伴名練・今井哲也による掲載作に加え、「ゲンロン 大森望 SF創作講座」出身の新鋭女性作家、櫻木みわ&麦原遼による共作「海の双翼」、《ソ連百合》として話題の南木義隆「月と怪物」、『元年春之祭』の陸秋槎が本書のために書き下ろした本格SF「色のない緑」、『天冥の標』の完結後第1作となる小川一水の宇宙SF「ツインスター・サイクロン・ランナウェイ」の全9篇を収める、世界初の百合SFアンソロジー。カバーイラストは『ハーモニー』やSFマガジン百合特集のシライシユウコ、ブックデザインは〈コミック百合姫〉や『やがて君になる』などを手がけるBALCOLONY.が全面監修。

Summary - English

Yuri and Science Fiction
the world’s first anthology of yuri and science fiction

Yuri - a creative genre that deals with relationships between women. In addition to works by Iori Miyazawa, Season Morita, Haruka Kusano, Neri Banana, and Tetsuya Imai from the SF Magazine Yuri Special, which went into its third printing for the first time since its first issue, this volume also includes “Umi no Soubu Wing” by Miwa Sakuragi and Ryo Mugihara, two new female authors from “Genron Nozomu Omori SF Creation Course”; “Moon and Monster” by Yoshitaka Nanki, which is being talked about as “Soviet Yuri”; and "Gennen Harunokai The first yuri SF anthology in the world, this volume includes nine stories: “Green without Color,” a full-fledged SF story written for this book by Riku Shusa of “Harmony”; and “Twin Star Cyclone Runaway,” a space SF story by Ogawa Issui, the first work after the completion of “Tenmei no Mokuteki”. The cover illustration is by Shiraishi Yuko, who has published “Harmony” and SF Magazine Yuri Special, and the book design is fully supervised by BALCOLONY. who has worked on “Comic Yurihime” and “Yattekimini ni naru”.

Content warnings

None I know of

Reason(s) for nominating: Someone else on the forum mentioned this and I was intrigued. I love short stories and it will give me exposure to multiple authors I haven’t read before.

*Note: I already submitted feedback to have this book recategorized on the site from Novel to Short Story

11 Likes

Title: 白と黒~Black & White~
Book type: manga

Summary - Japanese

大手銀行、光洋みやこ銀行・海外機関投資家営業部に勤務する白川ジュンコ。
部内では人望厚く、エリート候補とも見られている。ある日、法人営業部から黒田カヨが異動してくる。
彼女もまたエリート候補、海外大学出身でバイリンガルという強者ぶりで、彼女の教育担当を任命されたのをきっかけに、白川も気に食わないのか、お互いとキャリアを巡ってヒートアップ!?
時にはマウントを取り、時には共同戦線を。いつでもお互いに対して、会社の中でも遠慮なくキャットファイトどころではない、手も出る足も出るし物理的に噛みつく!
成果も人間関係も、全ては彼女らの踏み台か?彼女らが互いに向ける感情は?当事者もわからない気持ちの始まり……!?
これまでにない新感覚社会人バイオレンス百合、堂々と開幕!

Summary - English

Shirakawa Junko is an upstanding employee of a high-level bank. Her colleagues all respectfully admire her…except for Kuroda Kayo, a colleague who’s transferred to her department. Shirakawa is supposed to train Kuroda, and it does NOT go well. These women have a bizarre love-hate relationship that results in either violent office attacks or angry lesbian sex. When a sinister conspiracy seems to be afoot at their bank, can these two stop having bruised hate-sex on piles of documents and work together to investigate? This provocative LGBT+ drama is ready to rumble…

Content warnings

Physically violent and antagonistic relationship

Reason(s) for nominating: This is something I already read the first chapter of and absolutely loved but due to the vocab being difficult for me I ended up staggering with it, I would love for others to read it with me and get to finish this!
It’s really different then a lot of other works I’ve read, both in terms of being about working female adults whom both are very occupied with maneuvering around social politeness working in a bank, and while being extremely antagonistic with each other in these small things that others don’t notice into actual physical fights

4 Likes

Nice to see a yuri club has started! I’m mainly into visual novels (I’m reading 嘘から始まる恋の夏 right now and would highly recommend it) but seems like most people here would prefer manga from what I read in the thread. Not sure if I will join the club or not but I’ll definitely keep an eye on the thread and see what gets nominated :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I’m gonna assume that 11 people wouldn’t suddenly join and vote 1 nomination per person so I’m allowing myself a second nomination now that it has a natively page lol

Title: SHWD《シュード》

Summary - Japanese

時は20XX年。先の大戦後、各地に出没する大戦中に開発された謎の生体兵器「デュナミス」の残存個体処理を請け負う、特殊組織SHWD《シュード》
東京支部に新人の古賀が入社。彼女には佐和田という、デュナミスが発する電磁波による精神ダメージの影響を受けない先輩社員が教育担当となる。
佐和田は後輩、ひいては他の女の子には不慣れではあるが、彼女らは処理現場でコンビを組み、未知の脅威に立ち向かっていく……。
先輩と後輩だけではない、それ以上の感情もありながら処理スキルと関係性が育まれていく。
少しずつ明らかになる彼女らの過去と過去を知る、ファイテイングスタイルも違う個性豊かな女性たちも合流して、大戦の遺産と対峙、精神を削りながら戦闘を仕事とする働く女たちの物語!
精神《メンタル》が強い女・佐和田と身体《フィジカル》が強い女・古賀の戦う社会人のバディ百合、開幕!

Summary - English

The year is 20XX. Tough but idealistic Koga has just joined the Tokyo branch of SHWD, the Special Hazardous Waste Disposal unit responsible for eradicating mysterious biological weapons that were left behind after the great war. Her mentor is Sawada, a woman with a powerful psyche who complements Koga’s physical prowess. Something is sizzling between the two of them, and it’s more than just a shared mission. Together, these two badass women must team up to confront horrors beyond their wildest nightmares.

Content warnings

It probably does considering the plot, maybe blood and more, I don’t know if it has things like gore though

Reason(s) for nominating: I heard good things about this manga, plus it looks cool.

3 Likes

Title: 青い花 1 | L26
Available formats: physical, ebook (neither has furigana)

Summary - Japanese

「もし私の好きな人が女の子だったらどうする?」鎌倉のお嬢様学校&進学女子高を舞台に紡がれる、胸キュン“ガール・ミーツ・ガール”ストーリー、待望の第1巻!マンガ界大注目の志村貴子が描く、女の子の恋と秘密がいっぱいの物語。

Summary - English

Fumi and Akira were best friends when they were little, with Akira always looking after the crybaby Fumi, but that all ended when Fumi’s family moved away. Several years later, Fumi’s family returned, and she and Akira happened to bump into each other on their way to school. They became friends again, quickly slipping back into old patterns. Shortly after, Fumi began dating a cool, attractive upperclassman who, coincidentally enough, had ties to Akira’s current school, the prestigious Fujigaya Girls’ Academy.

Content warnings

Reason(s) for nominating: it’s a cute story that’s very character driven and wholesome, with a unique vibe. A lot of the portrayal is very realistic and believable, and it doesn’t fall into the usual high school yuri tropes. I enjoyed the anime adaptation and was curious to read the manga, because I could tell some things were missing. As I started reading (I’m only on ch2), I found myself thinking that it would be nice to have other people to chat with or get help in tricky spots.

5 Likes

Title: 雨でも晴れでも
Available formats: physical / ebook / all furigana

Summary - Japanese

雨でも晴れでも、雪の降る日も一ほかの誰よりあなた といたい。

神社の娘で方言がコンプレックスな山田美古都と、
仏頂面で周囲から恐れられる生徒会役員、猫崎蓮。
全寮制の女子校”有頂天高校”で出会った彼女たちは、 毎日のように放課後をふたりで過ごしている。

ふたりの共通点は、ほかに友達がいないこと。
そしてお互いのことだけを、特別な友達だと考えている こと。

「猫崎さんがわたしを見つけてくれた時一ー世界に色が ついたんよ」
「座女装東だって関西弁だって、美古都さんの全部全
部…かわいいって思ってたわ…」

ひとクセもふたクセもある少女たちの青春と心の交歓を 描いた
百合恋愛コメディ 『雨でも晴れでも』第1巻ついにリリー ス!!

Summary - English

Recently having moved away from her rural hometown, Mikoto Yamada struggles to make friends at Uchouten High School. Noticing Mikoto sitting alone, the student council secretary, Ren Nekozaki, decides to utilize her position to create a club specifically to allow the two to spend time together, using a shrine near the school as their club room.

Soon enough, their club space is encroached upon by four strangers: Takuya Kumakura, Yozora Usagida, Airi Shishimaru, and Ritsu Pengin. These girls share the plight of having interests that are too niche to justify the creation of a club. As Uchouten requires all its students to participate in club activities, the four form their own club to let each member do whatever they want. This leaves but one remaining issue-a club room is required for a club to be official. As a result, the four decide to do all they can to convince Mikoto to let them share the shrine.

While Mikoto agrees, Ren is wary, as she believes the four stragglers will impede the time she shares with Mikoto. But despite her reservations, Ren eventually concedes. Although these girls all have different interests, they will nonetheless come to form an intimate, unbreakable bond.

Content warnings

Some characters deal with depression, self-loathing, chronic illness, or other challenges. There’s a student-teacher relationship (acknowledged as problematic from the start)

Reason(s) for nominating: diverse, fun, lively, deep, sometimes challenging characters. The main character is especially adorable. Setting and artwork is beautiful. Switches between comedic and highly serious, but most of the time is on the fluffier side. MC has strong, but comprehensible Kansai dialect (I forget region), and it could be a good intro for that sort of thing (at least I thought it was, back when I read it). Also the furigana for everything is definitely helpful.

6 Likes
How many votes per person?
0 voters
Should ambiguous subtext be enough?
  • Yes
  • I don’t mind either way
  • No
0 voters
2 Likes

I might join late if I can get caught up on all my current clubs!

3 Likes

Title: ささやくように恋を唄う

Summary - Japanese

高校入学初日、新入生のひまりは新入生歓迎会で演奏したバンドのボーカル・依(より)に、
ひとめぼれという名の憧れを抱く。
校舎で出逢った依にそのことを伝えるひまりだったが、まっすぐに気持ちを伝える彼女に、
依はひとめぼれという名の恋心を抱いてしまい……
お互い好きだけど、どこか微妙にすれ違う、
ひとめぼれから始まる恋物語。

Summary - English

Bubbly, energetic first-year high school student Himari falls head over heels for her senpai Yori after hearing her band perform on the first day of school. Himari tells Yori she just loves her, and to Himari’s surprise, Yori says she loves Himari back! But when Himari realizes that she and her senpai are feeling two different kinds of love, she begins to ask herself what “love” really means…

Content warnings

Reason(s) for nominating: This might be my favorite yuri series! (Tied with はなにあらし). Both of the leads are really enjoyable and different, and watching the (surprisingly mature and healthy) ways they work out their relationship and social issues is really nice. The mismatched types of love thing is a pretty neat hook, and the music/bandmate portions are well done. Doesn’t follow the typical high school yuri rhythm, tho the 文化祭 comes up in later volumes, since there’s a battle of the bands event. Also it has an upcoming anime adaptation in Jan 2024, that I’m super excited for!!

7 Likes