2024 Bingo Reading Challenge ☑️

Wait, hold the phone.
I was looking at info about 地獄くらやみ花もなき | L30?? to see if I should count it as proper novel or not for my yearly goal (it’s kinda in between, honestly) and I found out it’s the debut work of the author! I got confused by the blurb that mentioned the second book of the author before saying デビュー, which lead me to believe that book was the debut. But no. The page of the award the book got clearly says デビュー作『地獄くらやみ花もなき』.
So that’s it! Not only am I satisfied (enough; still borderline, I think, but I did count stuff like medium in the past) that it is a “real” novel (not LN), it was also added by me, no review, won a prize, and is a debut. It technically has a non-human protagonist too (spoiler: ) but it feels way too close to human to count (although, that gives me the four corners in one, which is fun even though it’s not a bingo).

So, anyway,

The odds of me finishing the grid this month is zero, but close enough!

13 Likes

Finished ugly cover (夏と花火と私の死体 | L27) and book added to natively by me! (猫嬢ムーム(1) | L20??) :smiley:

15 Likes

Yesterday evening I finished another book :exploding_head: (I think that’s a first for me to finish two books in one day!) It was あなたも殺人犯になれる, and I’m counting it as “bad cover” as I don’t really have many ugly books, and the cover is weird enough to me.
It would also count as “new to me author” or “participate in a book club” (although I did not properly follow the schedule :thinking:).

16 Likes

Finally finished some books this year making me also able to finally mark some spots off my bingo board!

Even though 火花 | L35 is an Akutagawa prize winner, I am going to put it towards my debut work square. I absolutely loved this book, but I already wrote about it in the Akutagawa thread and in my review so I won’t go on here.

I also finished 月の裏側 | L34, which I will put towards my book club square (even though the book club for this technically wrapped up in 2023…). It took me a really long time to get through this book for some reason, even though it wasn’t bad at all.

I have also decided to start a bingo board for my Korean reading, but I shall hide it behind a dropdown since this is the Japanese forum/Japanese bingo thread. :crazy_face:

Korean Bingo

I finished 쇼코의 미소 | L34?? after months of slowly working my way through it and decided to use it for my prize square, as it was recognized with the 문화체육관광부 우수도서 honor.

I read 소리를 보는 소년 | L25 with the Korean fiction book club and enjoyed it a lot!

I got 당신을 원하는 나에게 1 | L26 from the library so I will be counting it for my “found for free” spot.

Reading in Korean still feels like a bit of a difficult chore for me, so hopefully completing the bingo challenge will help me level up my abilities further.

14 Likes

Category: “Won an Award”

Date Completed: Jan. 30, 2024

Title: BLEACH 1, winner of the 2004 Shogakukan Manga Award

Stats: Manga, 192 pages, Natively Level 28

Notes: When I was scrolling manga award recipients to find a book for this category, seeing BLEACH on the list instantly reminded me of how big of a fan of this series I used to be! I was so excited to read it that I didn’t actually look at the Natively level before starting page one - I was not prepared for how difficult the vocab would be at level 28. Though my grammar is strong, I don’t know many words :sweat_smile: Three weeks and a leisurely attitude toward lookups later, I’ve finally finished this first volume. It definitely made me nostalgic, and I can theorize why it won an award - for a shounen manga, this volume does treat death very kindly - but I think if I get the itch to continue the series I will maybe just watch the anime ahaha (at least until I can significantly increase my vocabulary!) :angel:

15 Likes

If it’s not too late i think i’ll join in why not! I drafted up a bingo card and have completed 5 of the squares but no bingos yet.

Here are the corresponding books for the completed squares:

Book that you added to Natively: 九龍城の殺人, 九龍城の殺人 | L33

Read a book with a bad cover: 異世界迷宮の最深部を目指そう 1, https://learnnatively.com/book/bb4e43f9eb/

Read something where the setting is a workplace: 魔法使いの引っ越し屋 勇者の隠居・龍の旅立ち・魔法図書館の移転、どんな依頼でもお任せください, https://learnnatively.com/book/f7efa95c6f/

Book with no reviews/gradings/ratings on Natively: セピア×セパレート 復活停止, セピア×セパレート 復活停止 | L37

Read an author you’ve never read before: 伏見 つかさ’s 私の初恋は恥ずかしすぎて誰にも言えない 私の初恋は恥ずかしすぎて誰にも言えない | L29

And here is a link to my bingo card:

12 Likes

Pro tip: The diagonal is a bingo as well! Congrats and welcome to the challenge :blush:

12 Likes

Oh cool! Thanks!

7 Likes

Read something that has won an award -52ヘルツのクジラたち

4 stars / totally love thr writing style

15 Likes

I just finished El buen arquitecto | L26. This is going to be my random TBR from lucky draw, as I got the prompt of the simplest cover, and you can’t do much simpler than this.

No bingo so far, but a pretty funny repartition.

So far
  1. Amnesia | L31?? (read in one day)
  2. Las 101 cagadas del español | L31?? (nonfiction)
  3. Aura | L31?? (new author)
  4. Diez negritos | L29?? (longuest in TBR)
  5. Agua roja | L26?? (free ressource)
  6. El buen arquitecto | L26 (TBR lucky draw, simplest cover)
12 Likes

Jan 31:
a book that you added to Natively: DOUBLES!! ーダブルスー 4th Set

11 Likes

Given how it ended I assume it’s still in progress, but I finished all available volumes so I’m counting it.

After starting it back in 2021 I read three volumes and never finished この男は人生最大の過ちです (series) | L29 - I dropped it thinking it was identical to the drama but @Biblio informed me that wasn’t the case so I finished it out. I think I prefer the manga better, but I suspect the later volumes simply weren’t out at the time the show was made so they had to improvise an ending.

16 Likes

It’s poll time. :partying_face:

I have 2 books that are the longest on my TBR (according to my order history). However, the oldest one is a bilingual text and I am not sure if I should count that or not… :thinking: so fellow Bingo players, please have at it, decide my fate. :eyes:

6 Likes

I just finished No pasó nada | L34. It was nice being able to learn more about the history of Chile and Pinochet’s dictatorship, while still having a nice story to follow outside of that.
I almost went for a bingo with this one, with “book that I added to Natively”, but then I have plenty of those to choose from and not many books that received an award. I’d never heard of the Boccaccio prize, but I’m counting it anyways.

So far
  1. Amnesia | L31?? (read in one day)
  2. Las 101 cagadas del español | L31?? (nonfiction)
  3. Aura | L31?? (new author)
  4. Diez negritos | L29?? (longuest in TBR)
  5. Agua roja | L26?? (free ressource)
  6. El buen arquitecto | L26 (TBR lucky draw, simplest cover)
  7. No pasó nada | L34 (something that has won an award)
14 Likes

Alright, here’s my current card so far.

• Debut: 四つ子ぐらし 1 ひみつの姉妹生活、スタート! | L23 (as far as I can tell by googling the author’s name)
    • First real (children’s) book in Japanese :tada: sped through most of it in a week so I could return it to the library in time. Surprisingly liked it a lot despite it being a children’s book. Did minimal dictionary lookup and still understood the overall story, mostly just missed some descriptive vocab.
  • No reviews/ratings/gradings on Natively: グッドモーニングレオン GoodMorningLeon 1 | L22
    • Started this in November but read through most of it (~60%) yesterday. Nice fun read. Ojisan + cat is a genre I want more of!
  • Book club: この美術部には問題がある! 1 | L22
    • this is borderline because I read maybe 60% of it in December and finished in January, but I’m doing a couple of other book clubs right now so will probably swap it out later. Just wanted to include it because I haven’t been finishing much recently…

I’ve been also reading stuff in Chinese, might make a card for that, or combine the two? :thinking:

14 Likes

天気の子 informal club finished this book today

15 Likes

Thanks for the votes. :hugs:

打ち上げ花火、下から見るか?横から見るか? | L25?? is the clear winner, so this will fill my “longest on my TBR” field. :+1:t2:

10 Likes

Finished FLESH & BLOOD 14 | L35, but I’m unsure on if I want to count it for a bingo square. Here are the possible options:

• Book club: there are many other options I can go with; this square fills itself. The original plan was to fill this with 今日からマ王! 魔王誕生編 | L32 or 美しい彼 | L30.
  • No reviews/gradings/ratings: technically it has gradings, being #14 in a series I’ve graded previously, but all the other qualifiers count. This is also an easy fill, since a good chunk of my library isn’t with many other people afaik.
12 Likes

You could just keep these options in mind and put it somewhere, with the option of rearranging them later or swapping them out for a nicer pick :grin:
(Plus, you might perhaps find a stronger candidate for „book club“, I guess :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

5 Likes

I think I will do something similar; I won’t put F&B 14 in a spot for now, but keep it in my pocket for later use if I need to shuffle things around. :thinking:

4 Likes