2024 Bingo Reading Challenge ☑️

I decided that a questionable ‘learn about databases’ book would be my bad cover. I read this in 2 days because it’s quite short and also very easy, but take my comment with a grain of salt because I already have technical vocab and I did notice a decent amount of advanced grammar that I’m just very used to by this point :person_shrugging:

システムエンジニアは一日にしてならず - very mildly NSFW cover

I actually can’t add this to Natively because it’s not on Amazon(!), but it’s currently free on Bookwalker incase you too want to learn about Oracle databases by self-inserting as a Cool Third Year Programmer :tm: who learns about database recovery by being scolded by a Hot Coworker :sweat_drops:

The book itself is G rated, there is nothing saucy in it.

11 Likes

All I can say to this is lol. :rofl:

9 Likes

I rolled a random number to select from my TBR pile for that square, and got 7, which was ハロー・グッドバイ 東京バンドワゴン | L29 . There were definitely a few books I would have been tempted to take a reroll to avoid, but luckily I didn’t have to…

9 Likes

忘れえぬ魔女の物語 1 | L34 apparently won the GA文庫大賞, so I used that to fill in the “won an award” square for another bingo. Only three squares left…

9 Likes

For my first update.

7 Likes

I finally get to update my bingo card today! After too long! Admittedly, I’m cheating a tiny bit with this one.

Higher Natively level than you’ve read before: 薬屋のひとりごと 2 | L38

It’s not technically a higher level; the highest level I’ve read is the first book in that series, haha. I’m extremely unlikely to read a higher one this year, though, and it’s been about two years since reading the first book, so it’s close enough.

Me deciding to only count the backlog books I finish as part of the bingo was a real choice on past eefara’s part. :cold_sweat: Let’s see if I can get one bingo this year, haha.

5 Likes

I’m very late to this but it looks fun! I’ll count some stuff I’ve already read this year but use the 5x5 so I can still have a fair amount to read.

A few questions before I generate my card.

A. Do you guys consider invisible people non-human?

B. If an author contributed to an anthology then made their first solo work, can I count it as a debut work?

4 Likes

Alright, time for another update

Once I finish 京都寺町三条のホームズ | L29, I will now get 2 bingos at once. I could try to rush 源氏物語 (which easily wins the “published earliest” contest, making it the bottom left spot) to get 3 at once… but I don’t wanna

Previous stuff

TBR random: 十二秘色のパレット 第1巻 | L23??
TBR female author: ギンモクセイの仕立て屋 上
Read for free: 地獄くらやみ花もなき 肆 百鬼疾る夜行列車 | L31
“most recently published TBR” 本好きの下剋上 ハンネローレの貴族院五年生1 | L32??
“TBR longest title”: 魔法使いの引っ越し屋 勇者の隠居・龍の旅立ち・魔法図書館の移転、どんな依頼でもお任せください | L30
spicy: 阿修羅ガール | L29
Non human portag: 地獄くらやみ花もなき 参 蛇喰らう宿 | L31
No reviews/ratings: 好き好き大好き超愛してる。 | L31
TBR next in series: 女装してめんどくさい事になってるネクラとヤンキーの両片想い 12巻 | L25
No other adaptation: 30歳まで童貞でいたら魔法少女になりました 1 | L28??
TBR warm colors: 7SEEDS 外伝 | L30
“wholesome”: 事情を知らない転校生がグイグイくる。 1 | L21
“fiction of non fiction”: どこの家にも怖いものはいる | L32
TBR cool colors: 吸血鬼はお年ごろ | L26
TBR colorful cover: 忘らるる物語 | L34??
latest bought: 私の推しは悪役令嬢。2 | L33
workplace: わたし、定時で帰ります。 | L35
TBR lightest cover: リウーを待ちながら 1 | L30??
TBR darkest cover: リウーを待ちながら(2) | L30??
Non-fiction: スマホはどこまで脳を壊すか | L30??
Award winner: ハンチバック | L33
TBR don’t remember why: 本を守ろうとする猫の話 | L31
TBR hesitate the most: 私の推しは悪役令嬢。 | L33
TBR easiest: ふらいんぐうぃっち 6 | L19
Lowest level: 人外さんの嫁 1巻 (ZERO-SUMコミックス) | L17
Prettiest book: 地獄くらやみ花もなき 弐 生き人形の島 | L31
“shortest TBR” 銀河鉄道の夜 | L32
“no middle- or high-schooler” 後宮の烏 | L36
“elderly main character” 献灯使 | L39
“has media adaptation” スレイヤーズ 1 | L35
“hardest ever” 春琴抄 | L52??
“what should I read next” どうも、噂の悪女でございます 聖女の力は差し上げるので、私はお暇頂戴します ベリーズファンタジー | L30??
“ultimate random” このたび不本意ながら、神様の花嫁になりました1巻 | L24??
“finish a series” (technically just the latest published volume): TRPGプレイヤーが異世界で最強ビルドを目指す 9 下 ~ヘンダーソン氏の福音を~ | L40
Untranslated: TRPGプレイヤーが異世界で最強ビルドを目指す 4 上 ~ヘンダーソン氏の福音を~ | L40 | Natively (kinda feels like cheating, but it’s true).
Vol2: 葬送のフリーレン 2 | L25 | Natively
Book club: 今日からマのつく自由業! | L33 | Natively
New to me author: 東京ヒゴロ 1 | L28 | Natively
In a single day: 蟲師 1 | L29 | Natively
Contains a character that speaks a dialect: 神様はじめました | L28 | Natively(putting the series because I don’t remember in which volume she appears first)
Bad cover: TRPGプレイヤーが異世界で最強ビルドを目指す 2 ~ヘンダーソン氏の福音を | L40 | Natively
Chosen for me: BANANA FISH 1 | L33 | Natively
Webstore suggestion: TRPGプレイヤーが異世界で最強ビルドを目指す 3 ~ヘンダーソン氏の福音を~ | L40 | Natively
Added by you: ドッグスレッド 1 | L28?? | Natively
Published 2020~ TRPGプレイヤーが異世界で最強ビルドを目指す 1 ~ヘンダーソン氏の福音を~ | L40 | Natively (that means I am using different volumes from the same series twice, but I guess that’s legit?)
神社⛩️ 神様はじめました 第1巻 | L28 | Natively
0~1 kanji in the title BANANA FISH 2 | L33 | Natively (already used volume 1)

5 Likes

Sounds highly situational, so I couldn’t say. Do keep in mind though that any rules are pretty flexible; if it makes sense to you, count it! The goal is to read more, after all.

Count which as the debut work? The anthology one? I would. If they have a separate, full-length debut novel, there’s also reasonable grounds to count that. Like I said, flexibility.

6 Likes

The rules are made up and the points don’t matter. If those rules make sense to you and feel like fair play, do it. If not, don’t.

7 Likes

Thanks for the help!

Here’s my card so far then:

I used my free space to replace “Non-fiction” with “Reread a book”. Rereading seems valuable, but I never do it. Not even in my native language.

Reading a light novel and getting into fan fiction are two other goals I want to meet through this. The light novel will almost certainly take the high level book space and the fic will take the read for free slot.

10 Likes

Woops, I totally forgot about this for like… 6 months. Maybe it’s an excuse to make a better formatted bingo card and fill in what I’ve done this year so far.

11 Likes

Now finished, bringing me to just two squares unfilled:

I don’t have anything in my TBR that would fit either of those, so this is probably the final state of the board unless I run down the TBR pile enough to justify another cdjaoan order this year…

6 Likes

You could also try to re-read something you first read years ago? Assuming you still have the books.

3 Likes

Alright, I have a few books piled up, time for an update

Food related title: 幻想古書店で珈琲を 青薔薇の庭園へ | L31 (Coffee is foodstuff, right? I think my blood is at least 33% coffee at this point, so I think it counts)
Shares a kana initial with me: ゴーストハント1 旧校舎怪談 | L33
Debut work: しかもフタが無い (ちくま文庫 よ-32-1) | L26??
Cheapest (not free): 京都寺町三条のホームズ | L31

That last one gives me 2 more bingos, reaching 3.

And with that, we are almost done with the easy ones. I guess published in 2007 is gonna be okay (I am reading one right now).
I have one book that I think is historical fiction.
Written before 1940 and TBR simplest cover should be easy enough.

On the slightly more annoying, I have 赤毛のアン on hand for “nostalgic”… but I don’t really feel like reading it at this time.
Oldest bought is also right there… where it has been for like 8 years (soon 9). I think there’s a reason that it’s been left unread for so long :stuck_out_tongue:

On the grunt inducing side TBR hardest, longest in TBR, TBR longest book, and TBR published earliest are all way over 500 pages and I (still) don’t wanna.
I have “only” 200 pages left on ドグラ・マグラ | L50?? but I just went through a section in Classical Japanese and boy was that draining. Even the normal sections are all ~べし and ~候 now. I’ve been reading that book on and off since March, though. I will finish it.

Previous stuff
5 Likes