2024 Bingo Reading Challenge ☑️

Natively officially links to WK book clubs, so it’s not weird at all. Example:

The main WK book clubs tend to be divided by level rather than content (from Absolute Beginner to Advanced). I started my Japanese reading with the Absolute Beginners Book Club, so I highly recommend it for those who hesitate to take the plunge. Natively members tend to be accomplished readers already (not all at the same level of course, but you need to have read a book to grade it), so the book clubs here tend to generally follow the WK Advanced pace or even faster. In any case, anyone wanting to read with a WK book club doesn’t even need to make a WK account, everything is public. They only need an account if they want to post.

10 Likes

Oh ok, thanks for that additional context! Makes sense! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:t2:

7 Likes

Prompt suggestions:

• the prettiest book you own
  • the cheapest (but not free) book you own
  • a book where the author shares a kana initial with you
  • a book published the year you started learning Japanese
12 Likes

I need to retrofit this challenge to my 2023 books to see how much I accidentally scored :rofl: So many prompts that I fulfilled already :grin:

11 Likes

I’m also very much tempted to do that! :smiley:

7 Likes

@bungakushoujo you might’ve already answered this, but when were you thinking off cutting off suggestions for bingo squares?

2 Likes

The thread title says Nov 1. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Well dang… Let’s just pretend I’ve been reading so much in Japanese that I can’t read in English anymore. >.<

13 Likes

pfft
who even needs English these days
日本語 イズ オール ダ レージ

9 Likes

I have updated the title just for you :smile:

6 Likes

It’s like magic! I can read again! :star_struck:

5 Likes

Reminder: 3 more days to share your prompt ideas before voting! If you have a cool idea for a challenge prompt, don’t hesitate to share! :bulb:

6 Likes

My idea of prompt was “read something spicy :hot_pepper: :hot_face:” but it’s not really “general public” so I don’t know if it’s valid…

I mean, they could take it literally and read a book about curry or something :thinking:

8 Likes

I can add that to the list for voting :grin: it’s kind of hard to read in Japanese and also avoid spicy content, sometimes it just appears lol :hot_pepper:

7 Likes

imagine a prompt of reading about spicy food and then the opposite happens :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

This might not count but I thought it could be cool:

Prompt idea: read a fiction version of a non fiction book

(Like an encyclopaedia of mythical creatures, or a book about the history of a fictional world etc)

6 Likes

Now that I think about it, I was reading spicy stuff since I was in junior high at least. I remember reading an SF novel recommended by my French teacher that was really wild on that front. So maybe it’s fine?

I know a manga about curry that is fairly spicy too (although I guess it’s mostly just fan service)

5 Likes

Prompt suggestion: Read a book that you added to Natively!

12 Likes

I like this idea! Unfortunately, at this point I don’t reminder what I’ve added. D:

7 Likes

sounds like a great opportunity to find something new and add it :wink:

9 Likes