Audiovisual initial feedback and requests

I’m probably one of the least concerned about it on a personal level, but also have no desire for people to come after me when they stumble onto :fire: spicy :fire: content unexpectedly. I’ll make the thread for it.

4 Likes

I’m not sure I follow. Lets say a specials season has 10 episodes. You mark it finished. Then another specials episode comes out. You’d want me to auto mark that episode watched?

Edit: Oh, you’re probably talking mostly about the split-cour situation with Komi-san, i see.

1 Like

:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Let’s put aside specials for now, because they will be awkward no matter what.

I’m saying that keeping a split cour anime season as one entry rather than two will be really awkward in regards to the start and end dates. Additionally, having a “Finished” anime with only 12/24 episodes watched (e.g. Komi-san) is weird to me. Perhaps I didn’t like the first part and will never watch the rest. Now it’s permanently in this in-between finished-but-not-finished state. So no, I’m not suggesting that those new episodes be auto-marked as watched (that’s probably wrong for most people). I’m just emphasizing the importance of manually separating those split cour seasons into two seasons on Natively based on their air dates (just talking about actual seasons here, not specials). Rather than “would be nice” I personally see it is “incredibly important”. Just my opinion of course. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I agree. I’m disappointed that TMDB made the decisions like they did, but I agree that I don’t think we can qualify Audiovisual as ‘working’ or move on to something else before we figure it out. Duly noted on the importance!

2 Likes

Posted this in the other thread, but thought you all should see it. Great work!

4 Likes

I am so happy to see this launch. I am just excited by the idea people are gonna start getting more than Anime in their learning diet for Japanese TV. ;D

2 Likes

I won’t be. :wink:

I have literally one non-anime entry on my wish list, but it’s been on my private list for 3+ years and I haven’t gotten to it yet!

2 Likes

Haha I’m not sure Natively will actively encourage people to explore things outside of Anime as it looks like the top 50 popular things are all anime… but we’ll see. I may have to figure out a better way to handle genres… as you can’t filter for live action / exclude Anime currently.

I’m very glad to hear you’re happy though - I’m excited too :smiley:

5 Likes

ミステリと言う勿れ S1 | L32 snuck into the top 50 :pray:

edit: I’ve fallen off watching things not-youtube lately, but I did add a ton more live action series and movies.

2 Likes

They are now sticky :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I definitely understand the grading thing (which is why I wouldn’t attempt to grade anyway, not yet at least), but it still bothers me that English subs don’t count as watching. We don’t specify “read with/without a dictionary” for books, after all . Anyway, I guess the video section is not for me then, as the point when I’ll let go of the English subtitles crutch will be the point when difficulty levels won’t matter much to me anyway. As I said, we each go about our learning differently, and I think that’s okay. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Of course we do! And I’m not saying watching with English subs isn’t helpful and fun (I do it too :slight_smile:). I just want to be sure we’re on the same page however. Do you mind describing what you mean when you say ‘watched with English subs’? Are you using Language Learning with Netflix or something, where the English subs are hidden until you choose to reveal them? Do you see both JP and English subs? Are you watching at full speed with English subs only and then catching Japanese as you hear it realtime?

Any feedback here is super helpful, because I really do want to support you and make it useful. And I know there are a lot of different learning styles. We can also chat off thread if you prefer that.

2 Likes

I tried that, but it got annoying real quick. I also tried watching with subs first and then without, but that’s just boring. And I’ve tried watching with Japanese subs but then I end up reading instead of listening, which defeats the purpose.

Sometimes, yes. And that helps because there’s so much text on screen that I usually don’t properly look at any of them. :joy:

Yes, but it’s sometimes the other way round: I hear the Japanese first, then quickly check my comprehension by deliberately looking at the subtitles. Sometimes I don’t read them at all. And sometimes I wouldn’t understand a thing if they weren’t there. I’m noticing I’m relying on subtitles less and less, so it definitely works, even if more slowly and indirectly than other methods.

Thank you. I know I’m not the majority, and most people will be extremely happy with the way it’s setup now, so I don’t think you need to change anything just for one user (or maybe a few). Ideally I would like to be able to set something to watched, even if it is with English subtitles. To take the book analogy, in my mind watching with subtitles is more like reading with a JP-EN dictionary (always open, admittedly), watching without subtitles more like reading without one. Of course you can’t control how people watch - after all, you can watch a show with subtitles on and never even pay any attention to the Japanese audio at all. But then, you can also read a book by throwing it into DeepL (bad translation, but better than nothing), or having the translation open in parallel. Natively doesn’t check on that, nor should it. It trusts users to log useful, relevant information.

As time goes on and I grow more comfortable with my listening, I think I could even start grading, even with subtitles on. I know there are series where I need them only rarely, and series where I couldn’t do without them: parts with lots of mumbling, lots of dialect, lots of specialized vocabulary. On the basis that everyone is trying their best to grade helpfully, I’d probably allow comparisons between any kind of “watched”, subs on or off. But I just have an ideal situation in my mind and you have actual experience with running the site and seeing the data, so I’ll trust you that this way is best :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for writing that up, it’s super helpful! I agree, you can learn in all sorts of ways and people should use whatever approach is best for them. I know that for me personally, if I watch with English subs I get very little out of it… I get sucked into the story and I just want to know whats going on… so my eyes inevitably dart down to the subs :slight_smile:

But you’re also much more advanced than me and have different tendencies, so I’m sure it’s very different for you.

For now though, I lean pretty heavily towards keeping the situation as is wrt only allowing english subs to it’s own status. I really do want people to treat the things they mark ‘watched’ as serious Japanese learning experiences, not a simple AniList catalogue. The whole purpose of the site is to help you ‘learn natively’… learn through native materials.

I totally agree that you’re use case is valid and the way it’s set up might filter people like yourself out. However, I think it also filters out a lot of people who wouldn’t treat watching w english as a serious learning experience.

I’ll continue to think on it though! And i’ll keep that feedback in mind, really appreciate you sharing :slight_smile:

6 Likes

(I haven’t read the entirety of the discussion in detail, sorry if I missed something :see_no_evil: )
I am definitely with brandon on the “keeping ‘watched’ and ‘Watched with Eng sub’ separate” thing, mostly because I think grading them shouldn’t be allowed. Perhaps the site is missing out on a few relevant gradings, but a lot of irrelevant ones get filtered out while the users aren’t really restricted by not being allowed to grade.
Coming to my point with that: What features exactly is it that you are missing from the separated watched lists for different sub options? Because I’m positive there is something that could be done about the few limitations :thinking:
E.g. allowing for the inclusion in the stats on an individual user basis doesn’t seem impossible.

3 Likes

Fair enough! And thank you for taking the time to read about my specific learning setup - and more importantly, thank you for all your hard work on this incredibly useful site.

Not much to be honest. It just slightly bothers me that Watched with English subs is so separate, as if it doesn’t count, when in my mind, and for my specific needs, it certainly does. But that’s totally okay. I’m allowed to rate (although I’m asked if I want to change to having watched without subs), and presumably I’m allowed to review (haven’t tried). I think I might be able to offer useful gradings to the community later on, which I’m not allowed to do, but that’s okay. I don’t feel confident doing that yet anyway.

All in all, it was a minor quibble :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Regarding this… This setting also gets reset by opening the page of a book/show. I’m guessing that’s not intentional? :sweat_smile:
(Perhaps I should have made a bug report after all… :see_no_evil: )

1 Like

Oh whoops! Yeah that’s a bug. No worries this is the right place to log audiovisual bugs for now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, yeah. I meant because I mentioned the same thing happening to the ‘Me/Following’ setting at some point (It’s sticky unless you open a book page), but, being me, never logged it properly… :see_no_evil:

1 Like