šŸ‡©šŸ‡Ŗ Beginner Book Club šŸ“š Next: Die kleine Hexe

If itā€™s indeed a L29, then itā€™s a bit difficult for a beginners. If the level isnā€™t accurate (since German is still in beta and lacks enough gradings), then itā€™s fine to nominate if it seems to really be L26 or below. :slightly_smiling_face:

Iā€™d probably attempt higher level books if you are planning to make an intermediate/advanced club. More book clubs are always good! :rofl:

ETA: I think Momo and Emil are probably fine to nominate, since theyā€™re childrenā€™s books.

4 Likes

I read Die Verwandlung a few years ago and found it to be surprisingly simple language wise, I feel like itā€™s current 29 is a bit too high. But as I am not a traditional learner I hesitate to say for sure, especially without a reread

4 Likes

I have no idea what consitutes a L26 in German to be honest, neither whether Die Verwandlung would be a 26 or higher (Iā€™ve read it and didnā€™t find it hard, but this was ages ago). However itā€™s free and short. Itā€™s also been widely translated, and there are even editions of parallel text I think.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll leave it up to your discretion. :smile:

2 Likes

Title: Emil und die Detektive | L22?? (learnnatively.com)
Book type: Childrenā€™s book
Available formats: physical / ebook / audiobook? (amazon has an audio cd, and there may be youtube readings)

Summary - German

Zum ersten Mal darf Emil allein nach Berlin fahren. Seine GroƟmutter und die Kusine Pony HĆ¼tchen erwarten ihn am Blumenstand im Bahnhof FriedrichstraƟe. Aber Emil kommt nicht. WƤhrend die GroƟmutter und Pony HĆ¼tchen noch Ć¼berlegen, was sie tun sollen, hat Emil sich schon in eine aufregende Verfolgungsjagd gestĆ¼rzt. Quer durch die groƟe fremde Stadt, immer hinter dem Dieb her, der ihm im Zug sein ganzes Geld gestohlen hat. Zum GlĆ¼ck bekommt Emil bald UnterstĆ¼tzung: von Gustav mit der Hupe und seinen Jungs.

Summary - English

Young Emil is robbed on his first real railway journey of money entrusted to him by his hard-working mother for the relatives he is to stay with in Berlin. A gang of boys about his own age come to his aid, and a thrilling adventure full of surprises ensues as they use their wits to devise a wonderfully simple but practical trick to capture the thief.

With every detail clearly drawn - from the tiresome business of getting into best clothes for the journey, down to the final anxiety as to what shall be done with a gloriously unexpected reward - this is a story all young readers will enjoy.

Content Warnings

None that I know of.

Reason(s) for nominating: Itā€™s a classic and very famous childrenā€™s book. Widely translated too, and relatively short.

8 Likes

Tentative nomination, feel free to remove if not appropriate for this club, or even if each person is allowed one nomination only :eyes:

Title: Die Verwandlung | L29 (learnnatively.com)
Book type: novella
Available formats: physical / ebook / audiobook

Summary - German

ā€œAls Gregor Samsa eines Morgens aus unruhigen TrƤumen erwachte, fand er sich in seinem Bett zu einem ungeheueren Ungeziefer verwandelt.ā€ Schon der erste Satz aus Kafkas berĆ¼hmter ErzƤhlung vermittelt schlagartig die Irritation, die sich in das VerhƤltnis zur empirischen Wirklichkeit eingeschlichen hat, die die problematische Schnittstelle ƤuƟerer und innerer RealitƤten bestimmt.

Summary - English

One morning, ordinary salesman Gregor Samsa wakes up to find himself transformed into a giant cockroach. Metamorphosis, Kafkaā€™s masterpiece of unease and black humour, is one of the twentieth centuryā€™s most influential works of fiction, and is accompanied here by two more classic stories.

Content Warnings

Bugs.

Reason(s) for nominating: One of Kafkaā€™s best-known works, it is widely translated and there are even dual-language editions out there. It is available for free, and itā€™s quite short. I donā€™t remember it being particularly difficult when I read it many, many years ago. There is also a simplified edition available on Amazon, not sure how good it is or whether itā€™s needed.

8 Likes

I guess when people vote they can decide. I read it as a beginner long ago, so here are some thoughts if itā€™s helpful for beginners, alongside what others have already said.
Pros

• simple language
  • ability to read a classic in German, which is cool at that level

Cons

• the concept is so abstract, you donā€™t really know what to expect, and that might be what has earned it a higher difficulty rating. Expectations and following standard story arcs can make fiction a lot easier to read, or harder if it bucks every trend, which is what Kafka does!

lol your content warning is great, it does go into explicit detail about bugs

6 Likes

Something occurred to me, itā€™s possible Die Verwandlung was used as a reference book for Natively ratings in the German language. Somewhere there is a thread where Brandon was asking for suggestions and in that case itā€™s rating would be fixed.

4 Likes

Just having a look over the nominations and adding a bit of extra info. :slightly_smiling_face:

• Iā€™ve added the original Tschick | L30?? novel to Natively (the one linked in the nomination is the easier version) - thereā€™s an audiobook for this version, but not the simplified version.
  • Thereā€™s an audiobook CD for Emil und die Detektive | L22??, but it doesnā€™t seem to be on audible (although the Italian and Czech translations are availableā€¦ :sweat_smile:).
  • Hereā€™s the simplified version: Die Verwandlung: in Einfacher Sprache | L30??. There are free audiobooks of the original version on youtube and spotify.

Thanks for the insight into Die Verwandlung, @mitrac! Iā€™ve found the bit youā€™re talking about regarding the rating:

7 Likes

Kafka?! :thinking: I am not sure, the language might not be too difficult (I only read Der Prozess so far :flushed: so judging from that) but the wording will be old-fashioned and the setting as well, thus probably adding to the complexity. But then again, this will hold true for Erich KƤstner as well :thinking:

(oh but the Reclam cover, so nostalgic :heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat:)

We can do that! Incidentally I recently discussed this with @Myria as I wanted to give a book to a language partner. She advised Arno Strobel (and to somewhat lesser extent Sebastian Fitzek) who both write in an easy-to-read fashion. I got a Strobel book and read it before giving it away - it was a real page turner and in parts also quite scary :+1: Can recommend :grin:

5 Likes

If I remember correctly - and itā€™s likely I donā€™t, itā€™s been so long - thereā€™s a noticeable difficulty difference between Die Verwandlung and Der Prozess (<-this sentence looks grammatically wrong :sweat_smile:). I tried to start the latter but gave up, whereas the former was more or less a breeze.

In that case, have you seen this? :grin:
Krimi book club? :mag_right: :hocho: - Reading / Book Clubs - Natively Forums (learnnatively.com)

4 Likes

Oh I see - I didnā€™t think it was that hard grammatically or vocabulary-wise, but it was just somewhatā€¦ old-fashioned? Well in that case Die Verwandlung should be doable?

Thanks for the pointer :grin:

4 Likes

Die Verwandlung is also old-fashioned, vocab, grammar and writing style are that of a century ago. Thatā€˜s why I personally thought it to be difficult, when I first read it.

3 Likes

Maybe there is appetite (and enough participants) for a more advanced level alongside this one too? :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

From no bookclubs to three? :rofl:
Sure, why not.

6 Likes

I would join an advanced book club as well! Honestly I need some motivation to get me to read German. Anytime I have time I pivot to getting Japanese practice in instead. So Iā€™ll happily join all the book clubs :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Any volunteers to run the Intermediate Book Club? I donā€™t mind, but if anyone else wants to do itā€¦ :eyes:

ETA: Found another nominationā€™s easy version: Emil und die Detektive: Deutsche LektĆ¼re fĆ¼r das GER-Niveau A2 (Easy Readers DaF ): Deutsche LektĆ¼re fĆ¼r das GER-Niveau A2-B1 | L10??

5 Likes

Iā€™m not sure I could commit to running an intermediate or advanced club since Iā€™m not sure how often I would even be participating, but I will make a thread in the next days about looking for casual reading buddies/groups if anyone ever wants to self organize around a book they have on their TBR!

6 Likes

The thing is, thereā€™s a big overlap of interested people for this club and the Krimi club, and I strongly suspect that any intermediate or advanced club would also be joined by the same people - who also tend to join other language book clubs :eyes:
So Iā€™m thinking maybe we should start with what we already have and see how it goes? Or we may end up spreading ourselves so thin we end up not reading anything much at all.

That said, Iā€™m always up for a spontaneous informal club if the book seems interesting enough. And no, Iā€™m not spreading myself too thin, why would you even say that? (good thing Korean is going very slowly for me at the moment, or Iā€™d be looking to join clubs there too)

8 Likes

Good point! Will leave it for now, then. :smiley:

Back to this book club - Iā€™ll probably open the poll in the next day or two, so if anyone has any last-minute noms, get them in quick! :+1:

4 Likes