📚 bibliothecary's bibliophilia 📚

Really enjoying getting into Chinese again! :heart_eyes: I dipped into it a few years ago, learned a couple of hundred words and read one or two graded readers, then didn’t touch it again. Surprisingly, I’ve remembered most of the vocabulary and grammar, so I’m just working my way through graded readers. Would love to eventually read some 耽美 - I’ve read several 漫画 based on web novels, so I’ll keep a note here of which ones I’d like to read. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

If you’re determined to read these in the original then just ignore me, but several of these are translated/planned to be officially translated in English and Japanese at least, so you could pick them up whenever if you just wanted to consume the story.

2 Likes

A lot of people I know really enjoyed 撒野! I want to try it out eventually. Right now I’m trying to read 200K more characters (~500 pages) to make my reading goal for this year, so I’m continuing to read 影帝影后今天又撒糖了, which is a cute, fluffy BG 娱乐圈 web novel.

If you don’t mind ghosts + transmigration + 娱乐圈, I really recommend 我家艺人满级重生! It’s a 耽美 with a cute couple and a very fun, interesting storyline. The English translation is on Novel Updates.

4 Likes

There are some I’m planning to read in English, like Heaven Official’s Blessing, because they seem like they’d be way too difficult in Chinese. :sweat_smile:

Although I recently bought the Korean translation of The Husky and His White Cat Shizun! :heart_eyes:

Good to know! This is actually first on my list because I happened to pick up the set really cheap second-hand. :laughing: And it’s a modern setting without sci-fi/fantasy/other difficult elements, so it should be more accessible. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

As someone stuck on the intermediate plateau who has struggled to find interesting-but-not-too-difficult content to read in Chinese, I’m going to watch this thread for recs :eyes:

I tried a couple of the easier stuff from Heavenly Path but couldn’t really get into the childrens’ books. Then again, I was mostly reading on my phone, so maybe it’s time to pull out the popup dictionary…

Lol, I picked up the first book in Chinese earlier this year, but I fully expect it to gather dust for that reason :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve already made some goals for next year, so this is more of a look at where I’m at and how I’d like to continue with various languages. :smiling_face:

Multi

Anki

I’ve been pretty inconsistent with my Anki use so far, so I’m going to try to make it a daily habit to finish all the reviews at least. :triumph:

The vocab I’m learning is usually either from exam lists or the vocab from whatever book I’m currently/planning on reading; the sentences are generally to learn grammar, although I’d like to move on to sentence mining native material once I’m past textbook stuff.

I’ve (reluctantly) started using https://jpdb.io/ to learn vocab for specific books I’m planning to read, but I’m hoping for a good export option to appear at some point, since I don’t want to use it long-term.

Audiobooks

Since my focus is on reading, I feel like this is the easiest way to incorporate listening into my routine. I’ve got audible for Japanese, and my Storytel subscription includes books in Korean and Chinese. Storytel also offers Thai books, but I guess you’d have to have a separate subscription for that. :sweat_drops:

Audiovisual

My focus is on reading, so I don’t have specific plans regarding TV shows. Still, it would be good to watch some Korean and Japanese TV series, possibly some Chinese, too (with subs where possible).

I’m not sure I’d get much out of watching Thai shows at this point unless I prepped using frequency lists, subs2srs, or something similar. :thinking:

Book Clubs

Try to keep up! :melting_face:

Korean

Novels

The intensive reading I’ve been doing with Week 5 of 소리를 보는 소년 👁👂 Korean Fiction Book Club 🇰🇷 has been really rewarding, so I’d like to continue with that method, at least for book clubs.

I’d like to read (non-book club books) more regularly, and actually finish the books that I’ve started… :sweat_smile: Especially the ones with audiobooks available on Storytel. I’d also like to try web novels, since I’ve never really read any before.

Manhwa

Although I have been reading some manhwa/webtoons in Korean, I still read a lot of them in English out of habit and convenience. I’d like to change my reading habits and tip the scales in favour of Korean.

There’s also all the 만화경 series which I have barely made a dent in. This one even has a time limit, so I need to start reading in earnest! :sweat_smile:

Grammar

I made an anki deck of all the example sentences and conversations from the intermediate and advanced volumes of Korean Grammar in Use (series) | L0-27, so I’ve started working through that. It should take about 3 months to do the intermediate cards - I’m fairly comfortable with most of the intermediate grammar points, so this is just to solidify my knowledge. Advanced may take longer, since I’m studying most of the grammar for the first time. It would be nice to complete the series in 2024. :smile:

Japanese

Graded Readers

My goal is to finish all the tadoku series (I’ve read most of them):

After that I can take a break from graded readers for a while and just focus on native content.

Novels

I’d like to read some children’s novels in the L20-26 range; some with the 🥳 Children's Book Club 📚 Next: ふしぎ駄菓子屋 銭天堂, but also some on my own. I’m sure I’ll also attempt other types of novels - BC or not - but I’d at least like to become comfortable reading children’s novels.

Manga

I’d like to read through more of my physical manga (I have plenty, after all! :rofl:), as well as reading the freebies on BookWalker and MangaZ. Like Korean, I just need to shift the balance so I’m reading a greater percentage of manga in Japanese.

Grammar

Working my way through an anki deck of grammar sentences pulled from various sources. I’m almost done with N4, so I’ll just keep chugging along…

Chinese

Graded Readers

I’m enjoying the Rainbow Bridge Graded Readers, so I’m planning to read all the ones I’ve purchased… And then buy some more? :laughing: I’ll also continue making my way through the free stories on Little Fox Chinese and Mandarin Bean.

Novels

I’ve started 撒野, and although there are a lot of lookups, it has been enjoyable so far. I’m learning the vocab by frequency using anki, so hopefully it’ll get easier as time goes on. I’m quite happy to just slowly make my way through the story, however long that will take.

Handwriting

I don’t plan on writing in Chinese, but I think learning to write the characters will help with memorisation and recognition. I’ve got grooved copybooks which cover the characters learned in grades 1-6 (and, of course, pens with disappearing ink :writing_hand:).

I’ve started working through the characters: the rules of stroke orders make it easy to guess how a character is written (I check on http://www.strokeorder.info/) and out of the couple of hundred characters I’ve learned so far, I’ve only needed to double check a handful to remind me of the stroke order (I say “learned”; I’m not writing them from memory yet).

So the plan is to just continue through the books, which cover about 2800 characters. Sadly I couldn’t find something similar for traditional characters, so I may have to make my own reference sheets for those.

Grammar

I’ve got an anki deck of example sentences from the Chinese Grammar Wiki, which should cover most HSK grammar. Once I’ve made my way through most of the deck, I’m planning to get a good reference book, possibly Mandarin Chinese: A Functional Reference Grammar or 博客來-當代中文語法點全集(二版).

Thai

Maanee

The Maanee books helped children learn to read and write back in the 70s-90s, and covers the first six years of education. The PDFs are available online for free.

I’ve started the first book, and I’m really loving it so far! :heart_eyes: Each chapter introduces a few letters, followed by words made using those letters (and ones you’ve learned in previous chapters), then a short story, again using only the letters that have been learned so far. The first half of the first book also uses spaces between words so it’s easier to read.

The plan for this is pretty simple: just keep working through the Maanee textbooks. I don’t really have plans for after that because I’m sure it’ll take me a while, although I do have a few textbooks (in Korean! :rofl:) and some novels I picked up second-hand for later.

Novels

It’s a bit premature, but I had a look for the well-known BL author JittiRain’s works and it looks like I would be able to listen and read concurrently quite easily. Technology is great. :face_holding_back_tears: :heart:

Handwriting

I don’t plan to write in Thai, it’s just an aid for memorisation. Although it is fun! :laughing:

I’ve been using a grooved copybook + pen with disappearing ink to practice individual letters, and writing out the sentences from the Maanee stories.

Typing

I would love to actually finish learning to touch type in Thai! :persevere: It would make dictionary lookups and google searches so much easier. I’ll make the effort to practice daily until I’ve finished the lessons, then I’ll work on bringing my typing speed up to the same level as Korean and English (~70wpm).

7 Likes

Man, you’ve got quite a bit lined up for yourself, thecary (it’s a terrible nickname, I know). Do you have anything in particular planned as easy unrelated non-burnout activities? I’m rooting for you, though!

3 Likes

Not many of these plans have a time limit, so it’s more like I’ll be doing things as and when I feel like it. I’ve noticed that when I get stuck or bored in one language, I’m suddenly really motivated in another, so I’m planning to use it to my advantage and just switch between them! :laughing:

I do want to do Anki every day and keep up with book clubs, but other than that, it’s just gonna be “what do I feel like doing”? :smiling_face:

4 Likes

Goal: catch up on book clubs before the end of the year! :melting_face:

I’ve made progress with Chinese and Thai (yay!) since the content is in nice, bite-sized chunks, but I’m hoping that I’ll be able to sit down and actually do some Korean and Japanese reading over the next couple of weeks - I want to go into the new year on track with book clubs! :partying_face:

I’m trying out https://lingotrack.com/ to keep track of my Chinese reading: you can track any type of media (in any language! :astonished:), but it’s really focused on tracking time spent on the language - understandable, but I’ve tried that before with https://toggl.com/ and it’s just not for me. Things like TV shows, movies, podcasts, or even audiobooks are fine since they’re easy to add time info for, but having to remember to time yourself reading books, articles or webtoons is just annoying (and I don’t like the feeling of being timed anyway). It’ll do until Natively Chinese appears! :rofl:

The ability to add whatever content you like will be useful since - apart from graded readers - I’ll be mostly reading webnovels. I came across an amazing resource that provides info on Chinese webnovel difficulty: 乾坤袋 Qian Kun Dai. There’s almost 2k completed 耽美 JJWXC webnovels listed, so I could just work my way through them starting from the lowest number of unique words… :laughing:

Anyway, the next few weeks should be nice and relaxed, so I can spend more time on Korean & Japanese reading. :smiling_face:

6 Likes

Your opinion on toggl and time tracking in general is really interesting. For the past month and a half, I’ve been tracking every language related thing I do and it’s been super motivating getting to see the number of hours at the end of every week. It’s also a great way to see what I should really dedicate more time to (and it’s not something I hadn’t realized before, but now I can’t pretend I don’t see it).
However I also get how it could be annoying, especially if you’re tracking several languages at the same time.

4 Likes

I’ve also had bad luck with timing myself (primarily with audio). I end up getting annoyed or frustrated using apps on my phone to time (why do none of them have all the features I want?) but since I also want to skip scenes occasionally or space out during commercials I can’t just take a raw time of the whole episode and be done.

Next year I’m trying a physical stopwatch and just logging my times daily to see how that goes…

5 Likes

I can definitely see the benefits and why people like it, but I’d often forget to start/stop the timer and I’d be very conscious of being timed, which made me uncomfortable and I couldn’t just read/watch/listen naturally. :frowning_face:

I’ll try Webtime Tracker since it’ll just work in the background, and maybe I’ll have a look for an app tracker. :thinking:

That looks really useful! How did you come across it?

Also, I just sorted by # of unique words and the “easiest” one on JJWXC seems to have chapters that are just spamming 1-2 characters lol

2 Likes

看剧学汉语 discord server :smile:

3 Likes

As if I haven’t got enough to occupy my time, I’ve started to get into VNs! :laughing:

Setting up the texthooker was thankfully pretty straightforward, and I’ve been reading (playing?) Nekopara - I didn’t know I wanted to run a catboy cafe until now! :smile_cat:

I may join Home thread for Christmas Tina ‐泡沫冬景‐ ❄️🐈‍⬛ (Visual Novel Reading Club), and I might also try some titles that I’ve noticed repeatedly over the years only to be disappointed they weren’t manga or anime. :rofl:

I’ll just keep a little list here of titles that interest me. Will probably start with the ones that are fully voiced and easy to purchase/play (not changing my OS language;;;)… When they’re on sale. Those prices! :sweat_smile:

Japanese

8016 28359 49779
46682 49773 9562
65273 53744 49776
41731 53034 29444
15550 22934 1966

Korean

66252 61398 49221

Chinese

44807 47273

There’s even some non-BL in there… ㅎㅎ

6 Likes

古書店街の橋姫 looks very interesting. :eyes: might be a VN that could tempt me…

2 Likes

I played 古書店街の橋姫 in English but I hear that one might be hard in Japanese just because of the time setting and lots of references to Japanese classical works.

Also, VN are great but just be warned that you may want to check for any triggering themes because they have a tendency to get pretty dark, pretty quickly.

2 Likes

There’s a manga adaption, too! :slightly_smiling_face:

Good to know! :+1:

2 Likes

Now that we have German on Natively, I have started a German graded reader… There are several books in German I’d like to read, especially those by my childhood favourite Cornelia Funke. For me, languages are a buffet, and I want to try everything on the menu! :sweat_smile:

Santa visited early and delivered a whole bunch of books! :santa: Mostly purchased through https://www.fromjapan.co.jp/en/ (@eefara has led me down a dark path by recommending this site :money_with_wings: :rofl:) - got several non-Japanese books for incredibly low prices. :slightly_smiling_face:

• Wanna One photobooks! :kissing_closed_eyes:
  • 오늘부터 마가 붙는 자유업! (Korean translation of 今日からマのつく自由業! | L30??)
  • Complete collection of 천관사복 (Korean translation of Heaven Official’s Blessing)

Thai textbook & children’s book, a couple of KKM djs (Wolfram! :heart:)

Buying this way is always somewhat of a gamble, and From Japan does warn that you may not always receive what you are expecting. This is one such example… Listed as the Thai version of the Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation, what actually arrived was the Vietnamese translation. It may not surprise you to learn I have a couple of Vietnamese textbooks in my library already, so I’m taking this as a sign from the yaoi gods! :joy:

8 Likes

Oooh, than you for the heads up; I need to go check that out.

Another convert! :pray: Man, all your books are so awesome, and in so many languages, too. I love all the pictures! Can’t wait to see what all you dip your toes in in 2024.

1 Like