👨‍❤️‍👨 BL Book Club 🎓 BL University 📚

If you find a good one for Korean shops, please let me know!

Minor Digression

It’s 传说之主的夫人. :sweat_smile: This thing is the literal definition of junk food (simplistic plot, stonks go up, etc. Dunno if it would scratch any itches for @Naphthalene?), and it sits nicely in my tolerance range for “can turn my brain off” and the “mega plot armor on the hero’s part” doesn’t bother me in this case. The book recently-ish got an announcement for an official English publication, and I was going to dip my toes into the fan translation to see if I should keep it on my radar, and here we are, 2 weeks later… (I will say it’s kept up a pretty consistent level of quality in the 500+ chapters I’ve read so far, which I’m a bit surprised at).

I think at this point I’m going to try to push through to finish 今日からマ王 this weekend; I feel really bad in that I haven’t read anything in Japanese for a couple of weeks now, and I’m still a bit away from freeing myself from this webnovel. :cold_sweat: Need to jump back on 美しい彼 after that… Thank goodness I’m not in any other book clubs at the moment, haha.

4 Likes

Nonono I have infinite books on my plate already, I don’t have the time to get distracted by something else.
That being said, it might actually be a step up from what I am reading right now, but I would feel bad if I start reading something that is not in Japanese.

2 Likes

I feel that. Deeply. :broken_heart:

…That’s a bit concerning, to be honest. I mean, the book I linked isn’t like terrible terrible, just pretty rote, at least.

3 Likes

I got a coupon from Booklive (20% off LN, valid 24h), panicked (?) and bought the rest of the TRPG isekai (I have seen then thought of other stuff I could have bought instead, but too late). The plot is okay, but it just keeps going with sus content. It used to be lolis, but there’s now a woman with breasts the size of her head (each) who’s openly shotacon and is trying to get, err, close to the main character (13 yo). While the main character is saying that he is not happy about the situation, it’s mostly played off as a joke.
So far, the series has been keeping the plot just good enough that I can keep going ahead, but barely.

Edit: I meant to post in the “what are you reading today” thread but pressed the wrong button. Good job, self.

2 Likes

Once you join the BL Book Club, you can never leave. :eyes: :ghost:

3 Likes

There’s only a couple of weeks left of 今日からマ王! so I’ve put up a poll to gauge interest in reading the manga and watching the anime. If you found the light novel a bit difficult, or just didn’t have time to read it, you might enjoy the other media. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve closed this poll, so we’ll be reading a manga next:

download

Visit the home thread to vote on the reading pace and when you’d like to start:

3 Likes

Just after that, the content took a hard (heh) BL turn (before giving up on it), by giving the main character a best friend and making them reaaaaally close. The main character kept thinking that his friend has such a pretty face that maybe he is secretly a girl? He uses male pronouns (僕), behaves like a guy and wears guy clothes, but maaaaaaybe? *Grabs hips while riding together on a horse* “hmmm, not girl hips” (me: he is 14, that seems a bit early to get childbearing hips; also stuff vary a lot between people). There are a few more scenes where they are really close and he even get the same treatment as the other potential love interests (full frontal nudity technically the illustration cuts above the pelvis while for women we just get some mist or whatever in the way, but still, I’m impressed the illustrator still went ahead with it). But then it turns out that he can magically become a girl for some time (Ranma 1/2 vibes), seems to fall in love with the main character and doesn’t mind being (becoming?) a woman for him. Very disappointing.

1 Like

Laaaame. You need to commit with that level of setup!

1 Like

A new list! :grin:

I was collating equivalent Korean and Japanese media over on the Korean forums and came up with this idea. Just a short list to start with, but if you have suggestions or want to be added as a collab, leave a comment! :+1:

3 Likes

Could you add me as a collaborator? I know a few books off the top of my head that can be added.

1 Like

Added you! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks! Added a few more. There’s two books where I’m pretty sure they’re BL in translation, but I don’t know enough about them to say whether it’s 100% the case:
永遠の1位 We Best Love - No.1 for you (Pleiades Press) | L30?? and 2位の反撃 We Best Love (Pleiades Press) | L30??. They might be part of a series? Not sure, so I’ll leave them here for further review.

1 Like

Yeah, they’re both part of a Taiwanese series that had novel adaptions: We Best Love - Wikipedia

1 Like

Perfect, thanks! I’ll add that.

Note to self: need to add Theory of Love 1 | L30?? to the list once it’s formally added to Natively. (Thailand, Theory of Love – ทฤษฎีจีบเธอ; not sure if the novel is the adaption of the drama or vice-versa.)

Dunno if キリング・ストーキング (series) | L29 should be included on the list; I think it’s generally categorized as BL, but I remember people mentioning when it got picked up for English localization that that label may not be entirely accurate.

One more for detective @bibliothecary: I’m pretty sure this is Korean in origin, but I’m having trouble finding the original: ハーフライン1 | L30??

1 Like

The title is 하프라인, unfortunately it’s 18+ so it can’t be added to Natively yet. :cry:

1 Like

I’ll add the title to the list for now. Thanks!

1 Like

Found a fun-looking new nonfiction book talking about danmei in China:

Haven’t added it to Natively yet since I don’t think brandon likes having books not yet for sale added.

2 Likes

That’ll be going on my TBR shelf! :eyes:

1 Like

@bibliothecary could you help me confirm whether Theory of Love (series) | L30?? is a novelization of the TV drama or vice versa? Thai title is “Theory of Love – ทฤษฎีจีบเธอ”.

1 Like

JittiRain is a popular BL author with several of their titles adapted to dramas, so I was 99% sure it was a novel first, but trying to find the original publishing date to check… :melting_face:

Yup, the novel was published 2017, drama aired 2019. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes