👨‍❤️‍👨 BL Book Club 🎓 BL University 📚

Apropos BL Academy: I still need to read this beauty I picked up last year for cheap (bookoff ftw)

6 Likes

If nobody minds I will take one of the remaining nominations :bowing_woman:

Title: 憂鬱な朝 1 | L25??
Book type: Manga
Available formats: physical / ebook / full-furigana

Summary - Japanese

父の死後、10歳にして久世子爵家当主の座を継ぐことになった暁人。家令兼教育係は、
父の遺言で全権を委ねられた桂木だ。久世の分家筋の出身で、父の信頼厚かった桂木は、
社交界でも一目置かれる美貌のやり手だが、実は特権階級へは批判的。しかも暁人には
冷たいほど厳しくて…!?
人気急上昇中の著者、初の連載作品がコミックス化!! 若き子爵×美貌の執事のクラシカル・ロマンス

Summary - English

From SuBLime

Upon his father’s death, Akihito Kuze became a viscount at the age of 10. His smart, handsome young butler Tomoyuki Katsuragi has since managed all affairs pertaining to the viscountcy perfectly. The talented and charismatic Katsuragi is very popular in their social circle; but as Akihito grows older, he becomes colder and more distant by the day - though still as faithful to the Kuze household as he has ever been.

Akihito is now a young man, and desperately in love with Tomoyuki. He determines to discover the reason behind his butler’s inexplicable behaviour, and this is where their story begins…

Reason(s) for nominating: I saw recommendation for this manga on WK forums and wanted to read it since then. I heard that it has good story. And also full furigana, which is not so common for BL manga, i think?

7 Likes

Another great nomination. How are we supposed to choose? :laughing:

2 Likes

BL and SF - perfect combination :star_struck:
I saw similar anthotology but with SF yuri novels. At that time I thought how it’ll be great to have one with BL stories. Who would’ve thought that it already exist :see_no_evil: Now I wish if I could find it somewhere digitaly.

6 Likes

Oh, I’d love to read that. Tell us if it’s good!

And awesome! Just one slot left, then the voting slaughter begins… :eyes: What will be the last nomination?!

4 Likes

Happen to remember the name?

2 Likes

Yes! I have a link https://www.amazon.co.jp/SFマガジン編集部-ebook/dp/B07T2HV8RT/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3N82792R8VNAS&keywords=アステリズムに花束を+百合sfアンソロジー&qid=1697087453&sprefix=アステリズムに花束を%2Caps%2C703&sr=8-3

3 Likes

Saw this and thought of you, @enbyboiwonder :smiley:

4 Likes

I’ve already heard of most of them, but I didn’t realize 僕らの食卓 had a drama, and there’s one more I’ll have to check out. Thanks!

2 Likes

Title: WILD ADAPTER (series) | L25??
Book type: Manga
Available formats: physical / ebook / full-furigana

Summary - Japanese

1995年、横浜。16歳の久保田誠人は、出雲会の支部長である真田にスカウトされ、年少組のリーダーを任せられることになった。出雲会の幹部となり、シマを二分する東条組との諍いなどに巻き込まれる日々。しかし、久保田はこれまでと変わらず、常に飄々として毎日を送っていた。だが同じ頃、街では謎のドラッグ「W・A」の名前が囁かれはじめる――。

Summary - English

Makoto Kubota wandered through life, not taking things too seriously or looking too deep within himself. His job as the head of the Izumo Group’s youth gang kept him pleasantly occupied with yakuza wars, mahjong and assassinations… Until the day he stumbled upon a strange drug called Wild Adapter that produces bizarre side-effects—including death. Forever changed, Kubota becomes entangled with a drifter named Minoru Tokito, and the two form an unlikely companionship that draws them deeper into the mystery of Wild Adapter…

(Source: Tokyopop)

Content warnings

As story involves yakuza, there would be some violent scenes, but nothing too graphic.

Reason(s) for nominating: It’s a manga by Minekura Kazuya, who is more famous for her other work 最遊記 (series) | L28. I’ve read this book quite a while back, but I think it wasn’t completed at that moment, so I never finished it. I would like to re-read it in Japanese! It does focuses more on story than romantic relationships between characters. I don’t remember much of the plot, so I’m not even sure that you can call it romantic. But BL vibe is definitely here and I can promise an engaging story.

5 Likes

It appears! The final nomination!

Dunno if I could call that bizarre, haha.

Oh, very cool! I liked what I’ve read of 最遊記. (Also did not realize that the mangaka is female).

5 Likes

I remember reading BUS GAMER and loving it, only to realise it had been cancelled and there was only one volume. :smiling_face_with_tear: I think I read at least a couple of volumes of WILD ADAPTER, but so long ago I can’t remember much, so it would be nice to revisit it.

Nominations are now CLOSED!

The poll for deciding how many votes we’ll each get will close tomorrow (vote if you haven’t already) - currently 5 votes per person is winning.

The poll to vote on nominations will probably be posted around this time tomorrow and close on Sunday 22nd October.

7 Likes

I recently watched all the anime adaptations of Minekura’s non-Saiyuki works and quite liked the idea of Bus Gamer despite the barebones adaptation. The story being unfinished makes me pretty sad, I’d like to see where it would go. It’s also really obscure, so I had to comment on this thread because literally no one has read it.

I’ve read a tiny bit of Wild Adapter and I really like it. It’s got a unique dark tone and it’s genuinely thrilling.

8 Likes

Aaaah, I didn’t realize we could post nominations with just BL vibes before the relevant poll closed…
Well, it’s fine, there’s more than enough stuff that I want to read already.

4 Likes

I wasn’t sure nominate this manga or not (Wild Adapter). It’s marked as BL on MAL and other English language sites. But in Japanese reviews it’s not so clear. Some write that it’s not BL, just was published in BL magazine at that time :woman_shrugging:
And I also don’t remember if there was something direct between main characters.
But it’s also true for Kyou Kara Maou, at least for anime. There was some implications and BL undertone but that’s not the main focus of story. Actually I’ve never got to the ending, didn’t even know that novels existed. Always thought that manga was the original :sweat_smile: So maybe something was resolved here.

5 Likes

If it’s marked as BL there, I think it’s legit anyway.

Noooo! Really? That’s disappointing, I was really curious about this one. I hope it’s at least really hinting at it.

3 Likes

It is but in a “we all know this is just for laughs” kinda way… :face_holding_back_tears: at least the anime was… (from what I remember, it might not have aged well… but would be interesting to read the novels and see)

4 Likes

Hmmmm I guess I’ll have to check carefully the nominations before voting…
I really wanted a gay 魔王 who gets all the guys, though :frowning:

4 Likes

doujinshi :face_in_clouds:

4 Likes

The poll on how many votes each person is allowed has closed, with 5 being the winner (I know I voted for 3, but considering the amount of great nominations we’ve had, I’m glad for those extra votes :sweat_smile: ).

I’ll post the poll for voting on nominations soon, and we can all lose our minds trying to pick just 5 books. :rofl:

6 Likes