👨‍❤️‍👨 BL Book Club 🎓 BL University 📚

It’s the Ted Bundy kind of romance

3 Likes

I think this sort of thing might be part of why I like stories that feel gay but aren’t canonically better than some actually-gay stories. You generally don’t run into gross “romantic” tropes when there’s no actual romance. (Less chance of biphobia, too.) That, and I’ve definitely read ones where you only know they love each other because the author says they do and it’s the premise that they do. But you can’t feel it and it doesn’t seem like there’s any reason for them to. The sex might be good I guess, but that’s not the same thing as love even if it and romantic love are often found together. But then the ones that are queer by vibes only, you can feel that they love each other, and that’s what makes it gay, even if it’s never acknowledged. It feels more genuine—show, don’t tell, and all that. I was actually surprised when I learned that the mangaka of ひだまりが聴こえる didn’t realize she was supposed to be writing a BL until a few chapters in and she hadn’t been writing it with that intention from the very beginning. It felt really natural. Of course it’s nice for it to be canon, like that ended up being, but I never really necessarily needed that. It’s also nice sometimes for it to just simply be. (Part of why I hate that people started calling all queer subtext queerbait. Just bc it’s not canon doesn’t automatically mean it’s malicious.) idk but I’m a giant, sappy romantic and also hella ace, so I guess it doesn’t really surprise me lol

4 Likes

Ah, that one I know, but that was back in the days where I wasn’t really into Japanese stuff. I only learned about it from a friend (and we watched the anime together). Maybe said friend didn’t care about (or had already watched) the maou one…

That one I heard about but never watched… if there’s a manga/novel (I still don’t care much for anime), I wouldn’t mind finally satisfying my curiosity.

I love this community.

6 Likes

Aaaaaaah that one I read on my own!

I’m sorry, I’m just happy I can relate to something, ignore me.
Sex slaves are problematic? Who’d have guessed.

Edit: had to read in diagonal, but I’m finally caught up. The thread really took off while I was asleep :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

A little recommendation for you all! :smile:

Just finished 夜明けの唄 1 | L23?? along with the drama CD, and it was amazing! :heart_eyes: It’s a fantasy with a dash of mystery, set in a place vaguely resembling medieval Northern Europe. I’ll probably write up a review later, but for now here’s the description from the English publisher, and the BLCD cover (just 'cause I like it). :heart:

Summary

Night after night, Elva steps forth into the black sea, sword in hand, to drive back the creatures that surge from the waves. Elva is one of the “kannagi,” warrior priests chosen by the divine to protect the island. With his snow-white hair, unaging youth, and black-stained limbs—proof of the corruption that gradually takes the life of every kannagi—the local people fear and shun him… at least until his path crosses with that of a boy named Alto. Enraptured by Elva’s strength and lonely soul, Alto swears to serve him and free him from his cursed fate.

After eight long years, Alto has grown into a capable and fearless young man, unwavering in his devotion to his kannagi. Elva had long ago resigned himself to an early death—but somehow, Alto’s presence seems to be gradually healing him of the black sea’s corruption…

In other news, I’ve just joined a very exclusive club thanks to this thread! (used all my likes 5x) :rofl:

5 Likes

It’s not that good though the characters are on the grumpy side which makes them a bit more likable imo lol

The mangaka went wild as the years came like holy shit wild

4 Likes

Is it this one? グラビテーション 1 | L24??

On a completely different topic, I am currently reading a BL manga despite having a billion other things I need to read but everything about it is making me angry. The main character is explicitly telling the love interest (?) that (despite being bisexual) he doesn’t want to do anything with guys (in the near future? ever? not clear) and the other guy is like “oh, I know what will help, sexual harassment!”
Like, no. Just stop.
That being said, it’s not like the main character is clear of any problem either, insulting the other one for no reason more than necessary (plus, by definition, some of those insults would backfire as well? Also the reader as well, potentially?).
Why am I even reading that? Nobody knows. I certainly don’t.
Edit: In fact, I just decided I won’t be reading that anymore.

4 Likes

Yep yep

Maki Murakami

If you ever feel like f-ing ur brain for a bit she has doujinshi that can do that lol

Edit: a lot of BL content can get pretty annoying yea (tbf true for any genre :joy: )
We reached a point where these is so much you really do tneed to bother with anything that annoys you

3 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face: The natively links to all the books mentioned yesterday:

6 Likes

Those BL research books remind me of あの頃のBLの話をしよう | L30?? which goes through (kind of) the history of the genre.

4 Likes

Another one to add to the required curriculum of BL University :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

Someone should have told her graphic depictions of internal organs aren’t sexy. :melting_face:

5 Likes

Oh, good to hear! I saw that get picked up by an English publisher and thought it looked interesting, so glad to hear it is indeed good!

I believe this is mostly a compilation of interviews with BL authors, for the record. (I would check my copy, but it’s packed into a moving box at the moment. :X) Not sure how in-depth they go into BL in general, or if it mostly just centers around their own work.

I picked it up originally since it’s got an interview with 松岡なつき, author of one of our nominations, Flesh&Blood.

2 Likes

Yes, it focuses on “classics”, I think. That’s why it’s “kind of” history :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day, it’s a new poll… And I’m feeling good~ :notes:
The Nina Simone version obvs, not Michael Boobily :rofl:

It seems as though most people are in favour of non-winning nominations rolling over to the next selection cycle, so the following polls are to decide whether certain nominations will be disqualified from future rounds for a limited time if there is little interest in reading them. This could ensure each selection cycle includes fresh titles.

Should certain titles be disqualified from the next round of nominations?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

If yes, there are a few ways of choosing which to eliminate:

• All nominations with 0 votes: Perhaps the simplest option, and weeds out titles with no interest at all, but it’s also possible that no titles would be disqualified (for example if everyone who nominates also votes for their own nomination).
  • Nominations with fewer than 𝑥 votes: The higher the number 𝑥, the more titles would be disqualified. Likely removes titles after each selection cycle, varying depending on voting results.
  • The lowest voted 𝑥 nominations: A certain number of titles will be disqualified regardless of how many votes they received. Always ensures space for fresh titles, but may remove titles with some interest.

The number “𝑥” will be decided with a further vote if one of those options wins.

Which nominations should be disqualified?
  • All nominations with 0 votes
  • Nominations with fewer than 𝑥 votes
  • The lowest voted 𝑥 nominations
0 voters

Disqualified titles will be eligible for renomination after a certain period of time. For example, after cycle 1 (C1), a certain title is disqualified. The following shows the different options for how long it may remain on hold:

• 1 cycle - on hold for C2; eligible for renomination C3
  • 2 cycles - on hold for C2 and C3; eligible for renomination C4
  • 3 cycles - on hold for C2, C3, and C4; eligible for renomination C5

…And so on. Information on disqualified titles and when they can be renominated will be available in the first post.

How many voting cycles should disqualified books be on hold for?
  • 3 or more
0 voters
2 Likes

Funny thing, that one is actually my favorite :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I’m sick in the head sometimes
Have you heard of MADK?

1 Like

150 new messages here since yesterday!? :eyes:

On the subject of old time cough problematic cough BL, anyone else used to be into Hinako Takanaga? I remember being a big fan of 恋する暴君 at the time…

3 Likes

One of my favourites! Not as well known as some of her other series, but for me this is the epitome of high school / first love manga. :heart_eyes: I don’t remember anything particularly problematic with the relationship, but it’s been a while since I’ve read it. Planning to read it in Japanese (for the first time!) sometime soon, as I bought the series recently. :smiling_face:

I remember Bukiyou na Silent was pretty cute, too, although I got a bit bored when the focus shifted from the main couple to the other couple as the manga went on. I can’t remember reading any of her other series, though.

It doesn’t sound familiar. :thinking:

Discourse is rationing my hearts now, I get one, then have to wait an hour for the next. :rofl:

5 Likes

if you ever feel like reading something f uped with organs but still good have at it :ok_hand:

1 Like

Cartoon gif. Two cute corgis wearing bow ties squinting while hugging and rubbing their faces on each other, against a pale pink background with floating hearts.

Welcome to the fluff gang. no dark romance for me, thank you very much. I have had enough of that for a lifetime. no shade if people enjoy it. fantasy and all. I know many but it’s just no longer for me.

6 Likes