♨ 癒し系 Book Club 🌱 Reading: マグメル深海水族館

Title: なおくんと和歌山おやつ。 | L24??
Book type: manga
Available formats: physical / ebook

Summary - Japanese

和歌山はおいしい「おやつのワンダーランド」!? 地元出身の著者が教えたい!絶品レトロおやつ10選。

小学生のなおきは両親の海外転勤により和歌山のじいちゃんチで暮らすことに。心細そうななおきを笑顔にしようとじいちゃん達が用意したどこか懐かしくて優しい味のおやつは都会っ子のなおきには初めて見るものばかりで…!? 山と海に囲まれた美しい自然の中で地元の銘菓や手作りおやついっぱいのドキドキ田舎暮らしスタート! おやつレシピや田舎暮らしを綴ったエッセイも収録。

Summary - English

Wakayama is a delicious ‘snack wonderland’! The author, a native of the area, wants to tell you about it! Ten excellent retro snacks.

Primary school student Naoki has to live with his grandfather in Wakayama because his parents have been transferred abroad. In order to bring a smile to the sad-looking Naoki, his grandparents prepare a series of nostalgic and gentle-tasting snacks, all of which are new to the city-bred Naoki…! The exciting country life starts in the beautiful nature surrounded by mountains and the sea, full of local famous sweets and homemade snacks! Includes recipes for snacks and an essay about life in the countryside. (DeepL)

Content Warnings

A young child is separated from his parents = small person being sad… :sob:

Reason(s) for nominating: This looks like an adorable story of a young boy bonding with his grandparents and learning about regional snacks. The art looks very cute and it seems like it’ll be a really wholesome story. It’s also fairly short, at only one volume of less than 120 pages.

6 Likes

Atarashii_Jōshi_wa_Do_Tennen_1

Title: 新しい上司はど天然 1 | L25??
Book type: Manga

Summary - Japanese

「この新しい上司もパワハラ上司だったらどうしよう…」。
前の職場の上司に精神と胃をやられ、転職してきた桃瀬(26歳)。
新上司・白崎主任を前に不安で胃痛が再発!!
だが、そんな桃瀬の不安も思わず吹っ飛ぶほどに、
新しい上司はまさかのど天然で…!?

ど天然上司との楽しくて癒されるお仕事コメディ!!

(From the publisher’s site)

Summary - English

Momose left his previous job due to his boss’s harassment. Fearing his new boss, Shirosaki, will be just as terrible, he begins his first day feeling anxious. But when they finally meet, Shirosaki is unexpectedly a total airhead who loves goofing off.

(Amazon Prime for the anime)

Content Warnings

Mentions of workplace harassment/bullying

Reason(s) for nominating: It was my favourite anime last year! The story is about Momose who quit his former job for workplace harassment (パワハラ).

The characters are adorable and loveable, the story is very light-hearted and healing. It’s not really BL since nothing in the sort is explicitly happening, but very cute interactions and one character is openly bi (without it being thematized in detail).

A few select chapters are also available for free on Pixiv and Mangacross (the publisher’s site). The chapters are loosely tied together (I would have to check that), so maybe it could be personal choice to read the full version or just the free chapters.

6 Likes

Nominations List

These are the nominations for the book club’s second pick.

5 Likes

I’ll open the poll to vote on our next read in a day or two - if you have any last-minute nominations, get them in quickly! :grin:

5 Likes

It’s time to vote! :sunny:

For more information about individual books, refer to the nominations list. :cherry_blossom:

You can vote for a maximum of 5 entries, and voting closes Sunday 17th March. :slightly_smiling_face:

Which book(s) would you like to read?
  • f3f8f5b2-2167-4579-b092-20a86aa4ce5c きょうのにゃこ譚 1
  • kinou_nani_tabeta1きのう何食べた? 1
  • a0f7705ac58116c28e4b5e78b6512c1b26d4e416_2_262x375 甘々と稲妻 1
  • 4 ふらいんぐうぃっち 1
  • 56e00f9b-7d40-437d-9e51-c0e3f9b49d77 妹は猫 1
  • magumeru_shinkai_suizokukan 1 マグメル深海水族館 1
  • 7 事情を知らない転校生がグイグイくる。1
  • 1 なおくんと和歌山おやつ。
  • Atarashii_Jōshi_wa_Do_Tennen_1 新しい上司はど天然 1
0 voters
4 Likes

Wow, can’t believe we’re voting again already. I kind of like the shorter voting cycle!

3 Likes

We have a winner! :partying_face:

download

The home thread will be up shortly along with polls for reading pace and start date. :+1:

ETA: 🐙 マグメル深海水族館 🐠 Home Thread ♨ 癒し系 Book Club

8 Likes

Woohoo! Another one to check off my backlog. :partying_face: I’m looking forward to some sea creatures.

4 Likes

Will we be voting for the next book soon?

1 Like

Yeah - maybe in a week or two? Get in your noms! :smile:

1 Like

Hmmm. I actually do have a nom in mind, an LN I read the first volume of in English and just super enjoyed the quiet vibes. There are some elements to it that do get a little intense, but I’m thinking I may just note those down as a warning and let the voting public decide. :thinking:

2 Likes

Oooo, our first non-manga nom, I’m intrigued! :star_struck:

2 Likes

contract between specter and servant

Title: 妖魔と下僕の契約条件 1 | L30??
Book type: light novel

Summary - Japanese

その日、足達正路は世界で一番不幸だった。 大学受験に失敗し二浪が確定。 バイト先からは実質的にクビを宣告された。 さらにひき逃げに遭い瀕死の重傷。 しかし死を覚悟したとき、怖ろしいほど美形の男が現れて言った。 「俺の下僕になれ」と。 自分のために働き「餌」となれば生かしてやると。 合意した正路は生還を果たすが、 契約の相手で、人間として骨董店を営む「妖魔」の司野と暮らすことになり……。 ドキドキ満載の傑作ファンタジー。 「妖僕シリーズ」、新たな装いで角川文庫化!

Summary - English

The worst―and last―day of his life! Masamichi Adachi left his hometown in the country to study agriculture at university. He prepared diligently for the exam, got his own apartment, and landed a part-time job to pay rent and support himself. He’s doing everything right, so why is it all going horribly wrong?! He’s failed the entrance exam twice, lost his job, and to top it all off, a hit-and-run leaves him a lonely, bloody mess on a dark road. Just as he accepts his fate and goes toward the light, an unlikely savior approaches, drawn by the smell of his blood. A contract with this stranger could give him a second chance at life, but will he agree to terms that include being eaten alive?

Content Warnings

Early on there is a fairly graphic description of Masamichi’s injuries after being run over, and later there is discussion of rape.

Reason(s) for nominating: I picked this up in English and read it while on vacation, and maybe it was just right time/right place, but I absolutely loved the quiet vibes this book has. It starts off melancholy, and we get to see our protagonist getting a new lease on life. It just really felt like 癒やし系 to me at the time; some parts felt almost meditative.

And because readers may be curious, here’s the author’s thoughts on whether this should be considered a BL title or not (taken from the English edition):

The Specter and Servant series was published by a label specializing in yaoi, where the basic theme is Boys Love or love between males. But I have never categorized my work as such, and like my other work, this is a story about someone developing feelings for another during their daily lives and nurturing a strong mutual bond.

3 Likes

:smiling_face:

:scream:

1 Like

Nominations List

These are the nominations for the book club’s third pick.

2 Likes

Why not just keep and maintain a nom list instead of having to redo it each time?

1 Like

I like that you can go back and look at previous lists - maybe not all that useful for newer clubs, but it might be interesting/useful in the future, especially for eliminated titles). And I also worry that I’ll accidentally delete things. :sweat_smile:

It doesn’t take any longer than editing, since I just copy/paste, anyway. :smiley:

1 Like

Ah, I totally understand that; looking back at historical poll options is always interesting; moreso if you’re new to the club, I feel.

1 Like

I’ll open the poll to decide our next read at the end of the week, so if you’ve got any suggestions, nominate them soon! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ll let you decide which of these are relevant to this club but here are the next ones on my list:
コーヒーが冷めないうちに コーヒーが冷めないうちに | L27
ちょっと今から仕事やめてくる (manga version) https://learnnatively.com/book/ccb39a777b/
かがみの孤城 上 (ポプラ文庫 つ 1-1 かがみの孤城 上 (ポプラ文庫 つ 1-1) | L26
マグメル深海水族館 2 (manga)
宇宙兄弟 1 (manga) 宇宙兄弟 1 | L28