♨ 癒し系 Book Club 🌱 Reading: マグメル深海水族館

This might be a good opportunity for people to chime in with what they’d like the book club to be: we don’t want to be too strict, but it would be nice to hear ideas of the kinds of themes people would or wouldn’t feel comfortable with. :thinking:

The description from AL is “primary aim is to heal the audience through serene depictions of the characters’ daily lives”; I think anything that includes action or conflict beyond a situation played for comedy (think Yotsuba vs. Yanda) might fall outside of the kind of stories we’re looking for.

From your list, the ones I think look like they would be suitable are:

I might have a look at the others later if no one else has read them.

3 Likes

Ahah, this is awesome! They would definitely be a great pick for such a club.

1 Like

獣の王国 1 | L25 and MOON・TRICK 1 | L25 I feel are strong candidates, though I’m still hesitant to nominate. Moon Trick gets more iyashikei as it goes iirc, so maybe just reading v. 1 wouldn’t be a good representation?

Honestly I feel like this shouldn’t be an automatic disqualifier, depending on the situation. :S Like if it’s played for humor? Man, this is all very fuzzy, and not in a good way, haha.

Hilariously, the Yanda interactions were always the worst for me. I just wanted to punch the guy, haha.

2 Likes

Warm and fuzzy? Because that’s what we’re going for! :rofl:

It’s difficult to make strict guidelines because it’s more about the impression that the work gives you than specific content. If you’ve read something and you feel like it was heartwarming and left you feeling happy, I think that’s enough of a reason to nominate (as long as there’s not a grizzly murder or something). If you haven’t read it, but the description/reviews give the impression that other people think it’s heartwarming, I’d say that’s fine, too.

I think most people will only read the first volume of a series in a book club, so you’d definitely want that volume to fit the vibe.

2 Likes

That’s fair; I may need to revisit a few candidates personally and see if I re-acquire any wholesome feelings or if it’s just rose-tinted glasses on the ol’ memory.

1 Like

The first time I am making a nomination, let me know if something is missing :face_with_peeking_eye:

Title: https://learnnatively.com/book/e144699e7b/
Book type: manga
Available formats: physical / ebook

Summary - Japanese

妻を亡くし、ひとりで娘の子育てに奮戦する数学教師・犬塚。料理が苦手で小食で味オンチな彼は、ひょんなことから教え子・飯田小鳥と、一緒にごはんを作って娘と3人で食べることに!! 月刊「good!アフタヌーン」誌上で連載開始当初から話題沸騰! 愛娘&女子高生と囲む、両手に花の食卓ドラマ、開幕です!!

Summary - English

Having lost his wife, math teacher Kouhei Inuzuka is doing his best to raise his young daughter Tsumugi as a single father. He’s pretty bad at cooking and doesn’t have a huge appetite to begin with, but chance brings his little family and one of his students, Kotori Iida, together for homemade adventures. With those three cooks in the kitchen, it’s no wonder this dinner table drama is so delicious.

Content Warnings

None

Reason(s) for nominating: I got the first 3 volumes some time ago, yet never got around to reading them. Nothing a book club can’t fix!
I love stories about strong family bonds, and this family seems particularly cute :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
And it got a well received anime adaptation back in 2016!

3 Likes

I think it’s his character introduction and doesn’t really come up later… It is also just that one panel, and no violence is depicted otherwise, but who knows :sweat_smile: It is about yakuza in the end.
Maybe I will read the first chapter next week and decide based on that if I want to nominate it.

3 Likes

I don’t remember if it was in the first volume, but there are discussions of depression and suicide. I actually just checked and there’s also realistic depictions of blood (main character just inadvertently injured himself, but that’s a lot of blood)

Not in the first volume, but flashbacks show violence and blood.

I’m not an expert, but those seem kinda disqualifying for 癒し系? The main character is getting mentally healed as @bibliothecary said, which may heal the reader too? I’m kinda unclear on the definition of the genre myself.

3 Likes

I cannot imagine a mystery as iyashikei, less so with scenes of violence and blood. For me that sounds like the contrary of an iyashikei.

But on the other hand there is this new anime 休日のわるものさん S1 | L25 with a villain as MC. So it very much depends on the story and how it is told.

2 Likes

The publisher categorizes it as slice of life/human drama rather than mystery, but that doesn’t really sound right either.

2 Likes

And here I thought this would be an easy book club idea. :sweat_smile:

Obviously people can discuss their ideas of what constitutes iyashikei, but in the end I’m happy to leave it up to the individual as to whether they think their nomination is suitable. :no_mouth:

I’ve read some of the manga in English, and I think that would definitely count as iyashikei - he may be a villain, but it’s his day off, and all he wants to do is enjoy cute things and avoid conflict! :laughing:

5 Likes

Title: ふらいんぐうぃっち
Available formats: physical / ebook / full-furigana

Summary - Japanese

黒猫のチトと一緒に横浜からやってきた真琴は、青森の親戚の家で暮らしはじめました。実は彼女は魔女。今はまだ空をとぶくらいしかできないけれど、又いとこの圭や千夏たちと毎日げんきに暮らしてます。

黒猫のチトを連れて横浜から青森にやってきた木幡真琴15歳。ちょっと方向音痴な普通の女の子です。これから又いとこの圭や小夏の家で一緒に暮らします。青森の高校にも通いはじめ愉快な友達も出来ました。畑なんかも作って魔女の修行も順調です。

Summary - English

Makoto, who came from Yokohama with Chito, a black cat, started living at a relative’s house in Aomori. Actually, she is a witch. I can only blow up the sky now, but I’m also living in good life with my cousins Kei and Chinatsu every day.

Makoto Kohata, 15 years old, came to Aomori from Yokohama with a black cat Chito. I’m a normal girl with a little no sense of direction. From now on, I will live together at my cousin Kei and Konatsu’s house again. I started attending high school in Aomori and made pleasant friends. I made a field and the witch’s training is going well.

Content Warnings

Alcohol (only in the later books I think), dog chase (no one is attacked though)

Reason(s) for nominating: I’ve enjoyed reading through it and found it very relaxed and wholesome with sprinklings of humour.

7 Likes

Just goes to show how variable books can be, I guess. Reminds me of all the “what is a light novel?” discussion.

4 Likes

I think it would fit, I find it to be a very relaxing and sweet read. It does occasionally touch lightly on some themes like life and death but it never feels heavy. Plus cute sea creatures :fish:

4 Likes

56e00f9b-7d40-437d-9e51-c0e3f9b49d77

Title: 妹は猫 1 | L20??
Available formats: physical / ebook / full furigana

Summary - Japanese

ねこ可愛がりたい妹、登場。

猫人一家に引き取られた人間の猫太くん。そこには、とっても可愛い「猫」な女の子がいて…。
お兄ちゃん大好きな義理の妹・ねねこちゃんとの、ラブリーでキュートなキャットフル・ライフ♪

Summary - English

After losing his mother at a young age, Nekota is taken in by family friends…who happen to be a couple of human-sized walking, talking cats. Not only do his new parents have paws, tails, and furry pointed ears, but now he also has an adorable little sister, Neneko-chan! As a high schooler, he’s integrated well into their household, and his precocious adoptive sister has fully accepted him as her big brother. Whether she’s showing him things she brought home from elementary school, purrsistently asking him to play with her mouse toy, or waking him up at the same early hour every morning for breakfast, life with this charming feline family is never dull!

(Source: Seven Seas Entertainment)

Content Warnings

The MC is taken in by the cat family because his mother passed away, although this is only briefly mentioned at the very beginning of the manga.

Reason(s) for nominating: I’ve read the manga in English and loved it, so I bought the first volume in Japanese. The MC’s new little sister is completely adorable, his adoptive parents are so sweet and supportive, and he himself tries really hard to be a good big brother and son. It’s really heartwarming and lovely! :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Excellent, good enough for me! Thanks!

2 Likes

magumeru_shinkai_suizokukan 1

Title: マグメル深海水族館 1 | L24

Summary - Japanese

マグメル深海水族館は、東京湾の水深200メートルにある世界唯一の水族館。ここでは、深海に潜む生き物たちを身近に観察することができる。清掃員のアルバイトとして働くことになった天城航太郎は、深海生物が大好きで、少し引っ込み思案な青年。ある日、館長の大瀬崎湊人に出会ったことで、彼の人生に変化が訪れる――。深い海の底で生きる深海生物たちの魅力とひとりの青年の成長を描く、心あたたまる物語が始まる。

Summary - English

(DeepL) Magumel Deep Sea Aquarium is the only aquarium in the world located at a depth of 200 meters in Tokyo Bay. Here, visitors can closely observe the creatures that lurk in the deep sea. Kotaro Amagi, a part-time cleaner, is a young man who loves deep-sea creatures and is a bit withdrawn. One day, he meets Minato Osezaki, the curator of the museum, and his life is changed–and then. A heartwarming story of one young man’s growth and the fascination of deep-sea creatures living at the bottom of the ocean begins.

Content Warnings

None known

Reason(s) for nominating: Another one on the TBR. I really like aquariums, and being able to visit a deep-sea one sounds amazing!

9 Likes

Title: 事情を知らない転校生がグイグイくる。 1 | L22
Available formats: physical / ebook / full-furigana

Summary - Japanese

園辺野小学校(そのへんのしょうがっこう)5年1組に転校して来た高田太陽は、同級生に「死神」とあだ名を付けられた少女西村茜がいることを知る。茜は「死神」とあだ名を付けられイジメを受けているのだが、転校生でクラスの事情を知らない太陽は、「死神」と言う「かっこいいあだ名」を持つ彼女と仲良くなりたいと行動を起こす。やがて太陽の茜に対する素直で真っ直ぐな言動は、周りに少しずつ変化をもたらす。

Summary - English

Nishimura Akane is a black sheep in her class, and not a day passes without her classmates picking on her. But Takada Taiyou is new and has no clue why they would treat her that way. Will his straightforward nature become a ray of sunshine in Nishimura’s gloomy days? Let their wholesome story bring you back to the carefree times of your youth!

Content Warnings

Bullying, parental death

Reason(s) for nominating: I’m about halfway through the anime and it’s sweet and wholesome and would totally fit the vibes of this book club. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I don’t read a lot of manga, so will probably not participate, but I have one series I can nominate because I loved it and it fits this perfectly, imo.
It’s quite expensive, so I’d wait for a sale. :eyes:

Title:

Summary - Japanese

とある町に、ひっそりとたたずむ一軒の甘味処。熊と鮭が営むこのお店は、夜だけしか営業していません。
提供するのは温かいお茶と、甘いもの一品だけ。今夜も、疲れて泣きたい人々がこの店に迷い込みます。

夢をあきらめた夜、
愛する人を想う夜、
自分のことが嫌いになった夜。
―そんな夜は、この店で涙を流してもいいんだよ。

主人公たちが知らない、もうひとつの視点から綴った描き下ろし52Pに加え、11のお菓子レシピがついています。

Summary - English

A sweet shop tucked away in a town. This store, run by a bear and a salmon, is only open at night.
All they serve is hot tea and a sweet dish. Tonight, too, people who are tired and want to cry wander into this store.

The night they gave up on their dreams,
The night they think of their loved ones,
A night when you hate yourself.
-On those nights, it’s okay to shed a tear in this store.

In addition to 52 pages of newly illustrated stories from another point of view, unknown to the main characters, 11 recipes for sweets are included.

Reason(s) for nominating: I loved it and I think everyone should read it if they enjoy iyashikei. :melting_face:

11 Likes

I don’t think there’s any reason why someone couldn’t nominate a novel or LN, right? Manga is probably just a lower-hanging fruit to pick from, is why I figure all the noms are manga so far.

2 Likes