Bug: Novels grade against manga before other novels

Though grading of novels is only supposed to give you comparisons against manga after you’ve exhausted the other novels in their level range, that wasn’t the case with the last two I finished: あん | L30 (9/14) and ペンギン・ハイウェイ | L27 (9/15). When prompted to grade both of them, I was given a few manga before it finally gave me any novels/LNs, despite me having several finished within their level range. I don’t remember exactly how many manga it gave me initially for either of them, and since 1.) skips and gradings are separated out and 2.) it gave me more manga mixed in after it gave me the first novel, I can’t check, but it was something around 3-5. However, the first 6 comparisons it gave me for each of them that I skipped were the same 6 manga, in the same order:

The non-manga I might have expected to come up for one or both are these, the ones that did eventually come up being marked with ◎ for あん and * for ペンギン・ハイウェイ:

(I did complete some extra grading for ペンギン・ハイウェイ, hence some of the disparity, but I have enough that it shouldn’t have been giving me any manga until either I’d skipped a bunch of novels or I got to extra grading. I don’t have any novels blocked from grading, and I only skipped a few.)

Trello link: (leave in blank)

It did it again, and it brought up the same manga yet again. This novel’s an L31, I have like 3 others this exact same level plus several others in range (what was it, 5 levels either direction?), it should not be having me grade it against manga first

1 Like

So, after looking into this more, I think the system is working as it’s intended, just that behavior could be improved.

Since this manga is still has a temporary rating, it’s prioritized in the grading scheme and prompts you to grade it first. However, since you only have a few manga within its level range (within 5 levels of the book), it prompts you to do light novel comparisons after the manga comparisons.

3 Likes

Actually, I didn’t update after that, but there was more weirdness in that session, though I don’t know if it was just from the work you did on grading or not (the “checking for gradings” button on the dash as well as the gradings page from the menu were also both taking forever to load, though they’re fine now) (also not sure how much is relevant to this thread, aside from the LN’s grading being split into two parts, which I don’t remember happening before)

I feel like it usually sticks with one book until I’ve done a certain number of skips and/or gradings and then moves on to the next if there is one or available extra grading? Or maybe not, my memory’s not great and it’s been a while since I’ve had more than one to grade normally at the same time, but this session still felt super weird/off.

I had two books to grade, that LN and a manga. After skipping this comparison, it gave me another manga to grade it against, and then it started me grading the recently finished manga. If I skipped the comparison, it would almost always have me grade that other manga against よつばと! before moving to the next one (when it didn’t, I assume it’s because the levels were too far apart). Only after I finished that did it let me grade おっさんだけど聖女です against other novels. Maybe the よつばと! thing is because I’d only had 4 gradings for it (now I’m at 30), but still, it was so weird. I was starting to think I’d have to go to おっさん聖女’s page to be able to grade it.

1 Like

So this is correct. We generally only have you grade a book 6 times unless it’s still temporary. After that max number of gradings occurs, we move onto the next book.

Hmm, I’m not sure :sweat_smile:. TBH, these things are pretty hard to diagnose and aren’t a huge issue, so i’m not sure where we’ll go from here. I think i’ll keep this in ‘on-hold’ for now.