Hi all! I thought I would start a study log to track and document my Korean progress since there don’t seem to be too many of these from Korean learners in general. Join me as I try to reach TOPIK 6급!
About me as a learner:
I’ve been learning Korean since January, 2022 and am currently around the TOPIK 5 level. If you read that and are thinking to yourself, “Wait, that seems like awfully fast progress!”, I would say that there have been two secrets to my success thus far:
I have studied at least one hour if not more everyday since I started. Consistency makes all the difference! (Before anyone asks yes, I work full time and have a life - language learning is just my primary hobby and fun way to relax so I make study time a priority).
I have also studied Japanese for over a decade. The transfer between Japanese and Korean grammar and vocabulary cannot be overstated and has been a huge boost, allowing me to understand concepts and memorize vocabulary faster.
My study methods:
I center my study routine around learning grammar concepts and vocabulary from textbooks + immersion and anki to help reinforce what I learn. I use a lot of Japanese textbooks and resources in general but also some in English or Korean.
I am currently focused on vocabulary acquisition, listening, shadowing, and writing. Speaking is not a priority for me at the moment.
- Take the TOPIK in October (Cancelled)
- Finish the vocabulary textbook できる韓国語韓国語能力試験 必須単語集 (DONE 2400/2400)
- Get to 300 hours of listening (DONE 302/300)
- Read 30 newspaper articles (DONE 30/30)
- Finish the textbook TOPIK 합격 레시피 (23/26 sections done)
- Write 30 practice essays for the TOPIK (Cancelled)
- Read 5 novels before the end of the year
- Watch 2 dramas before the end of the year
Let’s see how much I can manage to learn before the end of the year! 화이팅!