Changing total page count via 'update' dialog only works if you click 'close', not 'update'

Description of your request or bug report:

If you click on the ‘update’ button for a book on your dashboard that you’re currently reading, a dialog appears that lets you edit the number of pages you’ve read. This dialog also has a control to let you change the total number of pages in the book. However, if you change the pages-in-book number and press ‘update’ the dialog disappears but the value isn’t actually changed – bringing up the dialog again shows the old value. You have to use the ‘close’ button to get the value change to be accepted.

This is confusing because it is the opposite way around from changes to the pages-read-so-far number with this dialog, which are accepted on ‘update’ and ignored on ‘close’. It also means it’s impossible to change both values at once, because whichever button you press one of the changes will be accepted and the other will be ignored.

Trello link: (leave in blank)

@pm215 I can’t seem to replicate this. Is this bug consistent for you?

See below:

1. First open the progress dialog:
    Screen Shot 2023-08-25 at 5.45.43 PM

2. Edit Total Pages to 10 and click ‘update’
    Screen Shot 2023-08-25 at 5.45.57 PM

3. Reopen the dialog - the total pages has correctly updated to 10:
    Screen Shot 2023-08-25 at 5.46.09 PM

Are you doing something different?

2 Likes

No, I’m doing exactly that, but it doesn’t work. Here’s a screen recording…

I try to set the page count to 440 twice with the update button, which doesn’t work. The final time I use close, and it does work.

3 Likes

Oh man, ok I can finally reproduce it. It seems to be only really affecting mobile safari, not even desktop safari. It looks like they handle that particular interaction a little bit differently than other browsers.

Regardless, nice catch, will fix!

2 Likes

This is Android Firefox; should have mentioned that.

3 Likes

welp… i think i see the issue now.

FWIW, if you click anywhere on the form outside of that input box before clicking ‘update’, then it always works. Basically, that input needs to lose focus and update the total pages (it actually updates separately from the rest of the form)… before you submit the form.

A little confusing i know… will be fixed.

3 Likes

Ok, @pm215 this is now fixed! Thanks for catching this :slight_smile:

4 Likes