Chapter 1 šŸ§™ Harry Potter and the Philosopherā€™s Stone šŸŖ„ Multilingual šŸ’¬

I donā€™t know if there are many others reading in Japanese, but I really enjoyed chapter 1. I had listened to the audiobook for this chapter, and it really gives extra life to the characters and the scenes. But I also really enjoyed the narrative and the descriptions in Japanese, at least thus far it seems like quite a reliable translation of the original books. Iā€™m trying to keep up with the regular schedule, though itā€™s a bit too much for me, so Iā€™m not sure how it will go for the next weeks. But Iā€™m excited to continue, and will start on week 2 today. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

:raised_hand: I am also reading the japanese version. And alongside I am also listening to the audiobook.
I realized that the book translation differs a little bit from the audiobook translation though :laughing: fortunately only for a few words/phrases for now.
And I am absolutely not used to reading and listening at the same time. I had to set the speed of the audiobook to 0.9 :joy:

I also wanted to read the korean version, but havenā€™t found the time yet. I think it is always very interesting to see how situations/wordplays were translated into different languages. I am looking forward to it. (And I hope I will find the time for it)

6 Likes

I read about a third of the Korean translation along with the audiobook last year, so Iā€™m just relistening to the audiobook until I get back to the point I left off, when Iā€™ll pick up the book again and read/listen concurrently. Iā€™m not sure how I feel about the narrator for the Korean audiobook - while easy to understand, I feel like thereā€™s not much emotion put into the reading. :neutral_face:

Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ll continue with any other translations, but Iā€™ve started reading/listening to the German and Norwegian versions. The Norwegian narrator is amazing - the language already sounds so lovely and melodic to me, but his enthusiastic narration makes it even more fun to listen to! :joy:

4 Likes

Norwegian? :eyes: Are you on your way to conquering another peopleā€™s language? (And where did you find the Norwegian audiobook, out of curiosity?)

4 Likes

Iā€™ve wanted to learn Norwegian for a long time, but itā€™s so difficult finding books outside of Norway and they tend to be really expensiveā€¦ :sob:

Audible, and the ebook from amazon - but of course it was only readily available because itā€™s Harry Potter. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Finished listening to chapter one of the JP audiobook. My comprehension was not that high, sadly; for now Iā€™ll blame the fact that I was listening at work, and that cut my comprehension down.

3 Likes