Clearer Current Page Handling

Description of your request or bug report: As of right now, if you try to enter that you just read one page or part of page, the system returns an error. To get around it, you must incorrectly enter two pages, which leads to inaccuracy. Please make it so we can enter a page or less. Thanks!

Trello link: (leave in blank)

Hope youā€™ll forgive my sticking my nose in here, but the discussion in the other thread with @brandon left me a little confused and wondering if you were talking past each other, and Iā€™m curious about what exactly the missing feature here is. Of these scenarios, which ones are you asking for?

1. I want to record that I read a single page, and itā€™s the single page immediately after the last one I read (eg I already read pages 1-26 and today I want to record just page 27)
  2. I want to record that I read a single page from the middle of the book even though I havenā€™t read up to that yet (eg page 26 is the first ever page I read in the book, or I read 1-10 earlier but now I skip forward and read page 50)
  3. I generically want to record reading of random sections in the book, eg I read pages 25-40 and 120-130
  4. I read pages 1-25 earlier, and now I want to record that I read just half of page 26
  5. I read pages 1-25 earlier, and now I want to record that I skipped ahead and read just half of page 50

At least, it sounded to me like @brandon was saying the system restriction is about recording reading progress in non-consecutive parts of the book (i.e. items 2, 3, 5 on the list donā€™t work, but 1 does), but this request seems like itā€™s about single page updates of any kind (i.e. items 1 and 3) and half-page updates (4, 5) and the non-consecutive part doesnā€™t matter? (I would have thought that 1 works already, but havenā€™t tested itā€¦)

7 Likes

Primarily, Iā€™d like to see 1 implemented, but since that doesnā€™t already work, 4/5 seem like theyā€™d also be possible if 1 is fixed. Since Iā€™m reading a book that has about 1 entry per day/page, Iā€™d like to be able to record my progress. As of right now, you canā€™t enter ā€œRead page 30.ā€ Youā€™d have to say ā€œRead from page 29 to 30ā€ or ā€œRead from page 30 to 31ā€

3 seems to already work. Real life case usage- Iā€™ve read JoJo Part 5 already, but Iā€™m currently reading Part 4 now. Part 5 starts about halfway through volume 47.

You can see Natively doesnā€™t show any percent as complete. Personally that doesnā€™t bother me, so someone else can request that if they want.

2 Likes

My impression is that this is just how Natively displays one page updates, in the same way a 10 page update displays as ā€œfrom page 20 to 30ā€ (in other words, ā€œfrom X to Yā€ means ā€œread (Y-X) pagesā€). This is clearest in the first update of a book, which starts on the nonexistent ā€œpage zeroā€. I agree itā€™s pretty confusing, though, and most obviously odd when you read exactly one page at a time. Maybe thereā€™s a better way to show this in the UI.

3 Likes

As @pm215 mentioned, you can do 1 page updates just fine, but itā€™s very confusing how it asks you where you started and when you finish, and afterwards how itā€™s displayed to the user.

Sometimes I have to double think if what it wants from me is the last page I read, or the first page I have to read next.

1 Like

Since I also regularly get confused about thatā€¦ which is it again? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve always read it as ā€œthe last page I ended onā€. Book page updates have never confused me, while video timestamp updates always have, for whatever reason.

3 Likes

So just to clarify: if you finish up a paragraph that coincidentally also ends a page, or a chapter (maybe one with a blank page or so after it, even!), you input the page you last read?

Yep. So if I read through page 59, flip the page, see page 60 is blank, then flip another page and see chapter three starts on page 61, I put page 60 as my updated page total.

And for what itā€™s worth, if I stop partway through a page, I donā€™t count that page as having been read. So if I get to page 4, read halfway through and decide Iā€™m done, I update my page count to page 3.

I do try to avoid stopping partway through a page, though; if I read a little bit more, then my numbers go up even higher. :eyes:

Edit: Looking back at the wording on the page update widget, I think it was more of an accident/assumption that I landed on that system, though. :thinking: I probably read the update verbiage, assumed one thing, then never sat down to think it through. Itā€™s not really clear what page itā€™s technically asking for. Now that Iā€™m re-reading it, Iā€™d be tempted to say itā€™s technically more correct to input the current page youā€™re reading. So with my first example, I should be putting 61 instead of 60ā€¦

Ah well.

3 Likes

FWIW, I do the same; it just seems more natural to input the page youā€™ve finished readingā€¦ :relieved:

4 Likes

I disagree. If 1 pages or 2 pages look exactly the same in entry, then itā€™s not a good solution. If I read 2 pages, say 13-14, then ok, I enter start 13 and end 14. If I read page 14 only, then I put ??? The entries will appear the same, even though theyā€™re not.

As per @pm215ā€™s comment:

If you read 13-14, you enter 12-14 (you started after page 12)

For just 14, you put 13-14.

If you read just page 1 (the cover? but anyway), you would put 0-1, which is apparently allowed by the system.

That goes against common logic/practice.

If you get a homework assignment from a teacher, like say ā€œDo all the exercises on pages 12-14.ā€ Youā€™re supposed to do the ones on page 12 as well. Similarly, ā€œRead pages 26-38ā€ doesnā€™t mean you should start on 27.

So, the system does treat the ā€˜current pageā€™ as the page youā€™ve ā€˜finishedā€™ā€¦ but I agree the current system could be specified clearer, in addition to @DIO-Berryā€™s suggestion of allowing single pages.

More chat on Current Page

Perhaps just changing the label ā€˜Current Pageā€™ to ā€˜Finished Pageā€™ would solve that issue, but the ā€˜Current Pageā€™ parlance is pretty common it seems. I think that most trackers kinda treat this the same as I doā€¦ yeah people might put the page that theyā€™re currently on, rather than just finished, but it doesnā€™t matter that much in the end. Itā€™s just an off-by-one error in the session data. If you finish the book, the page data will be correct.

Certainly open to opinions on this though. The reason itā€™s currently configured as ā€˜Finished Pageā€™ is so that once you finish the book, then the ā€˜Current Pageā€™ can equal the ā€˜Total Pagesā€™ of the bookā€¦ which is nice for data handling.

Edit:

I think @Naphthalene was just saying there are ways to currently do it in the system, which is correct. But yes, definitely confusing, which is why this request is a thing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think the comment was more aimed at you, since you are the one who designed the system, not me :sweat_smile:

I guess @DIO-Berry probably has been incorrectly recording their pages read for a whileā€¦ and I assume they are not the only one.

3 Likes

While itā€™s nice to be heard and understood now, it seems even if there are other people who took ā€œpage startedā€ to literally mean page started, no one else is bothered enough by this to want it changed.

No real resolution here. I think at least we should have better guidelines around ā€˜Current Pageā€™. Perhaps we just change this ticket to ā€˜Clearer Current Page Handlingā€™? And simply specify it indicates ā€˜pages finishedā€™?

Not sure.

1 Like

If you just had the ā€œstart pageā€ labelled as ā€œlast page read,ā€ that would work wouldnā€™t it?