Dashboard Suggestions

Description of your request or bug report:

Some things I think would be useful:

• Ability to hide / remove elements: The ‘account’ block doesn’t seem to serve any purpose, and language switching function is redundant if you already have the drop-down in the top bar.
  • Compact dashboard option: Perhaps some people find displaying the levels and book/video types of items in progress useful, but personally I think they just take up unnecessary space (the user already knows this information anyway because they’re currently reading/watching, and can visit the item page if they want to see more info). Having an option to hide these would be great.
  • Drag and drop customisable dashboard: Different users will have different goals and preferences, so being able to change where the various elements are on the page would be beneficial. For example, people who have the goal of reading every day may like the days read block to be more visible than it currently is, by placing it at the top of the page.
  • Better use of space: This is a more general suggestion, and some of the above are possible solutions. When visiting the dashboard (on desktop), there is superfluous information taking up space, and some empty space (if you are reading/watching fewer than 3 items), while important and useful items are hidden further down the page. It seems reasonable to expect to be able to update both books and videos at the top of the page without the need to scroll. It may be more convenient to have the currently reading/watching items side by side in a row along the top, rather than stacked in a column.

Related: Improvements to dashboard (Covered crops and other?)

Trello link:

I can’t imagine this :joy:

I do think a vertical scroll rather than a horizontal one to see my in-progress works though would be nice. Horizontal scroll always feels a bit awkward.

6 Likes

I use the site on the mobile UI (tablet), and there I really like the currently reading section being a horizontal scroll – it means it doesn’t take up too much screen space, and it’s easy both to scroll the section sideways to see more of the currently-reading list and also to scroll the page down a bit to see the sections below it.

3 Likes

Meanwhile I have disabled all scrolling :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I can definitely see the appeal of a lot of this stuff as an option

A main thing I use the dashboard for is actually to get this information (and links), since Discourse loves to mangle the autoformat :upside_down_face:. Also a user may be reading the same title in two different formats (eg manga + novel)

I’ve managed to get mine down to a record low of 4 :joy:

Otoh that means you need to scroll through 11 things just to see your videos… Which I find way more cumbersome personally

3 Likes

Ooh how are you doing that? Is it an extension or some css magic? I’d love to see mine in a similar way

1 Like

// ==UserScript==
// @name         LN Tweaks
// @namespace    http://tampermonkey.net/
// @version      0.1
// @description  try to take over the world!
// @author       You
// @match        https://learnnatively.com/
// @icon         https://www.google.com/s2/favicons?sz=64&domain=learnnatively.com
// @grant        GM_addStyle
// @run-at       document-start
// ==/UserScript==

GM_addStyle ( `
    .account-home .my-resources {
        flex-wrap: wrap;
        justify-content: center !important;
    }
    .book .book-img, .book-series .book-img {
        height: 150px !important;
    }

` );
4 Likes

interesting. I would have just used GM (Greasemonkey) or Stylebot directly… didn’t know you could use GM inside Tampermonkey like that!

1 Like

Hence why this suggestion is for options and customisation, not complete removal. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Greasemonkey and Tampermonkey are basically the same by two different authors.

You have also the alternative Violentmonkey which is open source.

2 Likes