Ebook Reader Recommendations/ Experiences

Not necessarily. Kobos run linux, Pocketbook probably does too.

1 Like

ah, it doesn’t have vertical text. that’s probably why I skipped it. nvm, I have my tablet now anyways, but thank you. :+1:

You can add vertical text with a plug-in and a rotated font, and works quite well.

If you are ever interested hit me up.

This is running it on my kobo:

2 Likes

@Megumin koreader?

Currently using tts-reader and yomitan on my e-reader. It’s pretty good but some quirks of ttsu-reader that are annoying me (doesn’t keep my last read position, doesn’t always update).

Is koreader a better alternative? Or you use it as its best option for kobo?

i really wish you could highlight text in ttsu.

have you checked the settings? because it does, usually.

1 Like

Didn’t explain myself clearly. Sometimes when I flick between the pages, it doesn’t update the % in the bottom corner. It ‘usually’ remembers my position, though sometimes kicks me back to the chapter’s beginning. I’m using the ‘newer’ version of the reader btw.

2 Likes

ttsu is not an option on my e-reader. I use it on my tablet from time to time, but I’m trying to move to full e-reader, although my lookups are a bit slower.

Koreader is quite solid experience on my Kobo after tweaking some stuff for the first time, like the tateyomi and how fast you want it to respond for look-ups.

2 Likes

ttsu i find i have to press the bookmark button to reliably keep my position, otherwise it’s a bit of a crapshoot. I haven’t invested in fully tweaking my reading experience though yet.

(At least on my Android wrapper for ttsu) there’s a setting in the options to auto set a bookmark after a few seconds on the page. It rarely misses it for me and has been a lifesaver since I found the option.

2 Likes

I have set it up to put the bookmark on current page after a few seconds, that works well enough for me.

1 Like

Anyone use a recent Amazon Fire 8 HD or 10 HD tablet?

I have the Fire 7 rn (don’t recommend, comfortable, but poor resolution) and am considering getting one of those. I like the weight of the 7, but the available screen size is an inch shorter (both directions) than the standard B6 manga size. So Fire 8 would be comparable, but 10 would also accommodate larger sizes. I’m worried 10 will feel too big/heavy.

I have used a Fire 8 as recently as a year ago and it’s pretty garbage. If you have the money, I would actually recommend an iPad for manga. Particularly the iPad Air and Pro have proportions than near perfectly match manga dimensions, so there’s no wasted space. (I know the iPad 9 with home button didn’t have as good proportions, but it’s possible the iPad 10 that removed it has good manga proportions as well). Pretty much any Fire or Android tablet will have bad proportions for manga since they are basically all 16:9, so you’re not able to fully utilize the screen space.

Key phrase of course being “if you have the money”, since even the base iPad model is way more expensive than the Fire 8 or 10.

By the way, the screen ratio also impacts the feeling of heaviness. Since Fire and Android tablets are 16:9, they can get top/side heavy (depending on how you hold it), but an iPad will feel more balanced (partly from the proportions, but possibly also just better internal engineering). I’ve actually found my 11 inch iPad Pro to be way more comfortable to hold than my old Fire 8 because it’s better balanced, even though it is technically heavier.

2 Likes

What was garbage about it exactly? Tbh the main reason I wanna switch is cuz the kanji and furigana are blurry on Fire 7. It seems like the HD versions shouldn’t have that issue tho? I’m not too concerned about the performance, app availability, etc

I’ve never thought about the screen proportions much, but I see your point, and that’s good to know re: comfort.

I’m really iffy on getting an Apple product (I dislike Apple/prefer Android), but the iPad 9" does fit into my budget, assuming this it: https://a.co/d/gI2OuQI (this is the one you’re saying has worse proportions?). $150 is the max I’ll spend on a tablet rn.

Mostly it was just frustratingly slow and laggy. If you’re not concerned about performance it may be fine for you.

Nope, that’s a super old iPad Air based on the product listing. If your budget is $150 you can’t really get an iPad that isn’t super old and no longer supported. Since you’re not an Apple fan I guess that doesn’t matter much though.

1 Like

I’m already used to this from my current Fire tablet :upside_down_face: Watching vids on YouTube, they both seem at least a bit better than the 7.

Were furigana and kanji ever hard to make out with it? I think that’s my real concern at this point. I’m still ambivalent about the size difference, but like if it’s gonna be a lot easier to read with the 10, then I may as well go for that (unless anyone has recs for other tablets in that range)

You could also look into any android tablet. I, too, am not a fan of apple but android tablets are reasonably priced and you can put various apps on them. If your manga comes in picture form you can even look up the words like with yomichan. (Don’t know if iPad or fire have that option)

1 Like

I just got a Samsung 8" tablet (I can look up the exact model) and am pretty happy with it. My main complaint is actually that my phone is a Pixel so the difference between the operating system tweaks/gestures/default apps drive me a little crazy, but the tablet itself has been good as an e-reader (manga and otherwise).

1 Like

Right, I tried that, but got a bit overwhelmed. You can do all the app stuff on Fire too. You just have to sideload Google Play Store, and Play Services (at the end of the day, it’s still Android, just Amazon’s dumb version of it)

Oddly one perk of the Fire is that I can buy stuff directly from the Kindle app - which you can’t do on other Androids bc of Play Store nonsense

If you can that would be great! I already ordered the Fire 10, but can potentially cancel or return (or order in the future) if it seems like a good option.

I have a pixel too, but I suspect I won’t be so bothered by that sorta thing

1 Like

SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab A 8.4".

1 Like