Fallynleaf's Spanish study log

It has been an exciting past few weeks for lucha libre!

It’s well-timed, because I made a new friend recently in wrestling fandom who is interested in watching more lucha, and she bought a CMLL subscription, which I’ve been benefiting from by tuning in for her streams. So I’m getting a lot of listening practice from those!

So far, here’s what we’ve watched (links go to the card for the show on Cagematch. The actual shows are on youtube, but require a subscription to watch. They have Spanish commentary):

2023.10.31 CMLL Lucha Femenil Naciones 2023

2022.10.28 CMLL International Women’s Grand Prix 2022

No Natively pages for these, unfortunately :sweat_smile: (and I’m not counting wrestling shows for the lotería). As you can tell, we’ve been focusing mostly on CMLL’s women’s wrestling. So far, my top favorite wrestlers in CMLL are both women, so I’m particularly interested in watching their work.

Overall, my comprehension of these shows is decent! I think I’m able to understand at least 70% of the commentary (more than I can understand with Japanese commentary, though the gap is gradually narrowing…). I’ve been helping match the wrestlers’ names to faces during the matches for my friends whose Spanish is not as good as mine, haha.

With wrestling commentary, my focus sort of comes and goes, so I’ll tune out of chunks of it (which is fine! I do the same when listening to English commentary). But it’s nice passive listening because the main thing is the match itself, so the commentary is a bonus but isn’t necessary for following the plot.

I guess a bit of context so that my posts about this make more sense to outsiders:

The three countries in the world where professional wrestling is most popular are America, Japan, and Mexico (with the U.K. as a distant fourth). Each of these countries has multiple large professional wrestling companies, which often have relationships with each other, either as bitter competitors/rivals or as partners. The company politics are constantly changing literally all the time.

In Mexico, the two biggest promotions are Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (CMLL) and Lucha Libre AAA Worldwide (AAA). CMLL is the oldest professional wrestling company in the world that is still in existence (they’ve been operating since 1933). AAA was founded in 1992 when some wrestlers broke away from CMLL, and there has been extreme bad blood between the two promotions ever since.

Both CMLL and AAA have had various relationships with different companies in America and in Japan. Sometimes things have gotten politically a bit complicated because you’ll end up in situations where New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW) has partnerships with American companies like All Elite Wrestling (AEW) and TNA/Impact while also having a partnership with CMLL, but then AEW and TNA themselves had partnerships with AAA and not CMLL, which makes for some awkward politics when trying to plan out shows involving talent from multiple companies…

Well, last October, things changed!

I wrote about it in my wrestling journal entry for Mistico vs Rocky Romero on October 20, 2023, which happened in AEW.

Here's that entry (cut for length):

One of the dreams that the founders of AEW had at the beginning was for it to be a place where all companies could work together. They wanted to work with everyone. Listening to those early interviews, you could hear in Kenny’s voice how much he wanted this, and also how much he doubted it would ever actually happen. Wrestling partnerships are tenuous and fragile. The industry is built on competition, and historically WWE has stayed in power partially due to devouring the other companies.

But AEW strove to take an alternate path. They started out with just a few partnerships, with AAA in Mexico and OWE in China. The latter was affected pretty severely by the pandemic and the relationship didn’t really come to anything, but the AAA partnership persisted even through the lean months of 2020. Then Thunder Rosa came into the company as NWA champ when the AEW women’s division was in dire straits. And at the end of the year, Kenny Omega shocked the world by taking the AEW belt to Impact. In early 2021, the real bombshell dropped, which was that AEW had finally managed to secure a long sought after working relationship with NJPW.

(Rocky was reportedly involved in that one, too. As was Kenny.)

From there, AEW eventually ended up airing on NJPW World with Japanese commentary, and they also formalized the relationship they’d had with DDT/TJPW since the beginning, which means that some AEW matches now air on Wrestle Universe as well. NOAH got folded in as part of the CyberFight relationship. Tony Khan saved ROH from dying an undignified death and rotting in WWE’s archives, and from that point on, ROH got added to the AEW mix, for better or for worse. 2023 even saw some RevPro involvement in the U.K., which meant that AEW’s partnerships now spanned all four of the biggest pro wrestling countries.

It’s a constant juggling act, one I don’t think AEW has always succeeded at. But at this point, they’ve worked with OWE, AAA, NWA, Impact, NJPW, DDT, TJPW, NOAH, ROH, RevPro, and GLEAT, in addition to countless indies. That’s a shockingly large percentage of the global wrestling world. It also includes several promotions which are themselves competitors, whom AEW somehow convinced to put aside their differences for this.

But there was one uncrossable bridge.

No other promotion hates another as much as the Mexican promotions AAA and CMLL hate each other. CMLL refuses to let their wrestlers even work the same shows as AAA wrestlers. They torpedoed their long relationship with the Muñoz family at the end of 2019 over something as minor as Dragon Lee working a PWG show which also included the Lucha Brothers.

Rush and Dragon Lee then both went to ROH, despite the fact that ROH was technically a partner promotion of CMLL at the time. This ultimately led to CMLL ending the ROH relationship in a huff in 2021 when ROH announced they’d be working with Federación Wrestling, a promotion Rush tried to start which didn’t even end up making it off of the ground.

NJPW stuck with ROH to the bitter end, though, despite their two partner promotions being estranged from each other. Then with ROH’s demise and subsequent rebirth as a Tony Khan property in 2022, it got folded right back into AEW’s relationship with NJPW, and here we were.

So AEW had built this great network of companies all working together to a varying degree, and everyone but WWE was willing to play along. Except for CMLL.

Then AEW pulled off a miracle.

Tony Khan dropped the bomb simply by announcing this match on twitter. I literally didn’t believe my eyes when I first saw the graphic. I thought someone had to be playing a trick on us. But no, it was in fact real. What exactly it meant was still up in the air, though. Was this just going to be a one-off match, or was it testing the waters for a deeper relationship?

It felt like the entire possibility hinged on how well this one match went. If the match went well, if the crowd reacted positively to Mistico and the CMLL presentation, if Salvador Lutteroth was satisfied with his treatment, maybe, just maybe, it could become something more.

Tony Khan decided to do this as a best two out of three falls match, wanting to give the AEW fans an authentic CMLL experience. Rocky and Mistico had been feuding in CMLL, though I confess I didn’t follow that feud closely enough to recount it here.

Mistico himself is an experience. He has an aura as a performer that is matched by few others. He is the biggest name in lucha libre right now, drawing packed crowds on the allure of his name alone. He even moved tickets to this AEW show, giving them a much-needed boost in attendance after this match was announced.

The match was great! It went about as well as could be hoped for, with both wrestlers playing their parts well. I was impressed by what I saw of Mistico here, and Rocky was as solid as ever, doing everything he could to put over Mistico.

Rocky lost the match, but he won where it counted. He was the architect of the fledgling AEW/CMLL relationship.

And sure enough, after the match, CMLL put out a press release which says, “Deseamos reiterar nuestra firme intención para que la colaboración entre el CMLL y AEW sea fructífera y beneficiosa para ambos partes, y pueda ser el inicio de una sólida alianza.” (“We wish to reiterate our firm intention for the collaboration between CMLL and AEW to be fruitful and beneficial for both parties, and for it to be the beginning of a solid alliance.”)

It remains to be seen what exactly this will entail.

Funnily enough, after CMLL fired Dragon Lee for working the same show as the Lucha Brothers, this show technically had Mistico working the same show as Penta El Zero Miedo. They got by on a technicality—Penta’s match aired live on Dynamite, and Mistico’s was recorded and aired on Rampage a few days later, technically a different show. Maybe CMLL is finally starting to thaw a bit on this issue.

Out of all of AEW’s accomplishments, to me, this match is the single most impressive one. It feels like if AEW can achieve this, they can achieve anything. You can sell out big arenas if you get lucky enough to have the right stars and momentum on your side, but navigating these complicated interpersonal relationships takes real work, and it takes a whole lot of trust.

I’ve fallen in and out of love with AEW more times than I can count, but I think at the end of the day, this is what keeps me coming back. They do this part better than any other company. They truly have become a global platform for pro wrestling, allowing the wrestlers and their diverse wrestling styles to speak for themselves without trying to homogenize them, without trying to own them.

It’s such an incredible breath of fresh air if you compare them not only to WWE, but to every other entertainment industry, where just about every industry is dominated by an oligopoly of a few companies that greedily seek to acquire as many properties as possible, constantly consolidating into bigger and bigger companies.

AEW not aiming to acquire the other companies and instead extending a hand to collaborate with them is something genuinely cool and special. It allows for the possibility of dream matches that never would have been possible otherwise. It’s pro wrestling done for the love of creation, not for personal greed.

I don’t know how long this era of pro wrestling will last. But I will cherish it for as long as we have it. This right here, this is the real magic.

There have been a few updates since then!

A couple weeks ago, a group of CMLL wrestlers came to AEW, and ended up kicking off a feud with one of the top factions in AEW, the Blackpool Combat Club.

The immediate lead-up was to a technical wrestling dream match between AEW’s Bryan Danielson and CMLL’s Hechicero on February 3. I wrote about that in my 2024 wrestling journal, which is still too much of a mess to share, haha.

But I can post this entry:

“Indie standout (great technical wrestler) who ends up going to the big promotion because what else is he going to do. Modifies his presentation to fit in with the style. Promotion thinks he’s good but maybe not a top guy. Die hard fans know he’s actually the best.” Is luchablog describing Bryan Danielson, or is he describing Hechicero?

It’s a trick question, obviously. These men are two sides of the same coin. They have more in common than they have differences, despite their careers taking place in different parts of the world entirely. Bryan Danielson wanted this match, and it’s obvious all throughout how much respect he has for Hechicero and his craft. Bryan gives him so much, letting Hechicero outmatch him and show the crowd his magic.

Quite literally, on some occasions—Hechicero is armed with spells, which he demonstrates by wielding fire during his entrance. He manages to get the whole arena cheering for him by the end, the crowd entranced by this technical wizard from Monterrey. He pulls out some variations on submissions that I’d never seen before, the beauty and real-world magic of having a diverse world of different wrestling styles.

As luchablog puts it, “The Danielson/Hechicero match will be great. The match will also give Hechicero a moment to play his music with someone who can play along, that he can be that top guy if given that chance. Wrestlers don’t always get what they deserve, but Hechicero is getting that tonight.”

(click here for match photos)

Since that match, the feud between some of CMLL’s top guys and AEW’s Blackpool Combat Club has continued. It’s been a lot of fun! Many of CMLL’s Mexican fans are really excited to see some of their guys get to perform on American TV in front of thousands and get treated like big stars.

It has presented a few more opportunities for me to get some listening practice in, too, because the CMLL wrestlers usually cut promos in (often unsubtitled) Spanish.

Here’s a promo where the CMLL wrestlers invite the Blackpool Combat Club to come face them at the Arena Mexico (CMLL’s home arena, and one of the most famous wrestling venues in the world).

Something kind of funny about the timing of all of this is that right now as we speak, most of CMLL’s roster is actually in Japan on tour for NJPW’s annual Fantastica Mania tour. I have fallen off of watching NJPW enough that I haven’t felt motivated to really watch this tour, but I did feel a bit tempted…

NJPW just had Bryan Danielson over for a match with Zack Sabre Jr. (see the October 1 Bryan Danielson vs Zack Sabre Jr. match in my wrestling journal for some background on both of those guys). Naturally, Hechicero watched their latest match and wants one with Zack Sabre Jr., too, haha. I don’t know if that match will end up happening or not, but the cards are in place for it.

In addition to all of that, I’ve been following Pro Wrestling NOAH (another Japanese promotion) off and on, and they just had a show which heavily featured Mexican luchadores, including El Hijo del Dr. Wagner Jr. facing Kenoh for the GHC Heavyweight Championship, which is the top title in NOAH, and one of the most prestigious wrestling championships in Japan.

To my surprise, El Hijo del Dr. Wagner Jr. actually won that match! He was already one of the rare few Mexican wrestlers to actually achieve high level championship success in Japan, but this victory is on another level. It’s extraordinarily cool, and I’m happy the company trusted him with that win. It’s also extra fun for me because I can understand his promos better than I can understand the Japanese wrestlers’ promos generally, haha.

Dragon Gate, a Japanese promotion which I don’t follow, also currently has a Mexican wrestler as their top champion, whose name is Diamante.

So those are some of the fun and exciting positive things that have been happening in the global pro wrestling world lately!

I’m still mad at CMLL for a few things that I won’t go into detail here (mostly they’ve booked some wrestlers whom I don’t like as people), and their subscription service is prohibitively expensive, so I probably won’t be following them super closely, but I’m having fun watching casually!

AAA, on the other hand… I had a few periods when I was watching them casually, but they’ve booked wrestlers I hate even more than the ones that CMLL has been working with, and I’ve sort of reached a point where I’m fed up with their culture of enabling abusers, so I’m not planning on going back to watching them unless some things seriously change doesn’t sound like I’ve been missing terribly much lately, anyway.

I guess to end on a more positive note (for the most part…), my favorite CMLL wrestler right now is Stephanie Vaquer! I got introduced to her work when she visited Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling in 2022 (and I translated one of her promos into English for my translation blog, haha), and her gear game is always on point:

Here’s from her instagram:

She’s unfortunately dealing with some extremely negative stuff right now which makes me worry that she might not be able to keep working in Mexico…

(tw: mentions of domestic violence and xenophobia)

Stephanie was in a relationship with former CMLL (now AAA) wrestler El Cuatrero, but he got arrested for attempted feminicide. Unfortunately Cuatrero has a lot of supporters who are very unhappy that this case has put Cuatrero in jail, so there’s a whole conspiracy theory getting spread about the situation, and Stephanie is facing increasing hate from fans who are blaming her for it…

It doesn’t help that she’s Chilean, which has gotten her some hate from Mexican fans simply because she’s a foreigner. Her wrestling character is currently a ruda (the lucha libre equivalent of a heel, the bad guy in the match whom fans are supposed to boo), so the reaction she gets onscreen from fans comes across as the expected one for rudos, but some of the boos are not for her character work, but are aimed at the actual person for daring to accuse a popular luchador of domestic violence.

It makes me want to voice support for her even more loudly. So go watch her matches if you get the chance!

My other favorite CMLL wrestler right now is a luchadora named Quimera!

Here’s from her instagram:

I’ve still barely seen any of her matches, but I got interested in watching her work the moment I found out about her, because she’s one of the extremely, extremely few out LGBTQ luchadoras in the industry.

In fact, she’s the only one that I know about.

I know of a few male LGBTQ luchadores (there’s actually a specific role for them in lucha libre, the exótico, though not all exóticos are gay, and in fact the one in CMLL right now, Dulce Gardenia, is straight), though I don’t know any who aren’t exóticos.

There’s some more info about exóticos on the wikipedia page I linked, though most of it is sourced back to Heather Levi’s book, The World of Lucha Libre. It’s a good book, granted! But I wish there was more info out there beyond what that book has.

I actually just got the idea to check the Spanish version of the wikipedia article, and sadly it doesn’t have a whole lot more, but I did find another source. Here’s an article titled “Exóticos: luchadores diversos en construcción”. Maybe I’ll try reading that at some point?

Long post about a lot of stuff that most people probably don’t care about, sorry!

6 Likes

Lobizona update:

I’ve slowed down a bit on my reading over the past few weeks because I was trying to catch up on some Japanese translations and some other Japanese study obligations, as well as work on some writing projects, but I’ve made it to 35% of the way through Lobizona! Over a third of the way there!

Something kind of funny is that one of the early chapters of the book explains that there’s a law in Argentina that the Argentinean president would become the godparent of all seventh sons/daughters, which the book explained was to protect these children due to a prevalent superstition that a seventh son would become a lobizón, and a seventh daughter would become a bruja.

I read that and was like “cool worldbuilding detail for your urban fantasy novel”. But I got curious at one point and looked up the law, and guess what?

IT’S REAL.

Here’s the wikipedia page on it! Apparently people aren’t sure of the exact origin of the law, though. It might’ve also originated from Russia, though Argentine folklore surely helped encourage it.

Here’s a random person’s blog post I found which talks (in English) about the law and also mentions a 1975 film called “Nazareno Cruz y el lobo”, a classic in Argentina, apparently, which the author of the blog found on DVD, and which miraculously came with Spanish subtitles.

Maybe I’ll attempt to track that film down somewhere, haha.

Something else I learned from Lobizona was the term “plural mayestático”, which came up in a sentence in chapter 12. I was like “‘majestic plural’?? huh?” but a quick search confirmed that this is just the term for “royal we” in Spanish! “Majestic plural” is also apparently used in English, but I’d never heard that term for it before.

Overall I’m still enjoying Lobizona, though I’ve reached the point where the trademark heterosexual young adult romance subplot has started to kick in, and I’m pretty uninterested in that aspect of this book (I’m holding out for the lesbian side couple that supposedly exists).

5 Likes

It’s the kind of thing that’s unbelievable, but the more I look into it the more it makes sense. This is actually also done in Paraguay, not just in Argentina. From what I could find, other reasons for the existence of this law are mainly that certain superstitious people were killing their seventh born, mixed with it being a political move to gain support in times of elections.

I also figured out that the lobizón myth comes from guaraní mythology, which is most widely believed in Paraguay and the Northeast region of Argentina. Is that where Lobizona takes place?

According to this mythology, the lobizón is the 7th child of Taú and Keraná. This couple is cursed because of Taú, who attempted to kidnap Keraná (and worse), ended up fighting against the Spirit personifying good, Angatupyry, and won by using tricks (artimañas). Hence, all of their 7 children were cursed by Angatupyry and were born monsters:

• Teju Jaguar, a seven headed dog
  • Mbói Tu’i, a parrot headed snake
  • Moñái, a horned serpent
  • Jasy Jateré, a small child with ginger hair (who uses his appearance to kidnap children)
  • Kurupí, a phallic deity
  • Ao Ao, a sort of sheep with a wild boar head and sharp talons as hands
  • Luisón (that’s the lobizón), a man with a large jaw, long dark hair and lots of scars. Its other form is that of a large black dog, with red pupils, sharp teeth and only three fingers on each hand.
3 Likes

At the beginning, it takes place in Miami, Florida! The character and her mom fled there (illegally) from Argentina due to reasons that I’m only just now starting to find out about, haha.

The portion I’m at now, I’m not exactly sure where it’s located? The character doesn’t really know, either. It’s sort of a magical world, and it’s a bit unclear if it’s actually located in Florida or if it’s in some separate realm.

Some of these figures are characters in the book world! At the point I’m at, the main character only just started learning about all of that (and how it relates to her own birth…), so I’m also only just starting to learn, haha!

It’s really interesting, though! I’ve always really enjoyed mythology, but I really knew nothing at all about guaraní mythology before I started reading this book. I’m definitely interested in learning more!

4 Likes

You’ve definitely sparked my interest in Lobizona. I’m very tempted to buy a copy and start reading along…

3 Likes

Been too busy with other stuff recently to get much done in Spanish, unfortunately! But I got my February writing projects done, am currently caught up on my wrestling translations, and am hoping to get back into practicing Spanish a little more regularly now that February is over!

Something kind of funny is that I saw this tweet from Daga (a Mexican luchador who is currently mostly working in the Japanese company Pro Wrestling NOAH), and I think this is genuinely the most I have ever been surprised by a wrestler.

He’s reading La canción de Aquiles, which is the Spanish translation of The Song of Achilles. Here’s another tweet from him featuring I believe that same book (I googled a few sentences from it and that’s what came up).

I never in a million years would have guessed that Tessa Blanchard’s ex would be a fellow Achilles/Patroclus shipper, but sometimes wrestlers surprise you in a good way!

Looking at the photo of the text from the book, it made me go “oh honestly this looks surprisingly readable, considering the fact that it’s set in Ancient Greece. Maybe I should try rereading it in Spanish? :thinking:

But that won’t be for a while, haha, because I have enough on my plate as it is!

I haven’t made much progress on Lobizona, but I’m hoping to keep reading it alongside our book club pick, La Ciudad de las Bestias | L30??, which I just purchased in ebook form in preparation for the book club.

NihongoLearner19 linked a version of the audio book on youtube. I’m considering listening to each chapter here before reading them to get a little more listening practice, though I’m traditionally very bad at focusing on audio books, so we’ll have to see if I actually follow through with this…

4 Likes

Did not end up getting a whole lot of reading done because I got distracted with a bunch of Japanese study stuff and also am in the middle of trying to change my sleep schedule, which is always a bit disruptive…

But I did have a fun moment during a recent Pro Wrestling NOAH show! After their match, Yo-Hey (a Japanese wrestler) spoke in Japanese and challenged Daga (a Mexican wrestler) for his title, and Daga responded in Spanish and then in English, and I understood everything that was said in all three languages!

Also, since daylight savings gave me my hour of sunlight in the afternoon back, I started going on walks again, which means podcasts are back on the menu! I picked back up Radio Ambulante, and I’m pleased to say that it’s just as easy to listen to as it was when I last listened to it, so at least my listening abilities have not regressed, haha.

I haven’t finished the episode quite yet, but I’m currently listening to “Por la feria”, which is about county fairs and how they exploit migrant workers from Mexico. Here’s a quote from the episode:

No hay nada más gringo que una feria de condado. Esos county fairs son parte importante, hasta icónica, de la cultura estadounidense. Al mismo tiempo, como Levi pudo confirmar, estas ferias dependen de mano de obra mexicana.

Después de ese verano, durante los siguientes años, Levi volvería a Tlapacoyan varias veces para entender cómo un pueblito mexicano llegó a estar en el mero centro de este evento cultural tan gringo.

I’m trying to do what I can to help migrant agriculture workers where I live, and there’s quite a bit of exploitation in that industry, so I’m sad but unsurprised to hear about it happening in county fairs as well…

In cheerier news, the books I bought from Japan arrived, and that includes one that belongs in this study logl! I bought 新日本プロレス 英語&スペイン語「超」入門, which is a book produced by New Japan Pro Wrestling to teach English and Spanish wrestling words to Japanese speakers!

I successfully used their previous book (which was designed to teach English wrestling terms) to learn some Japanese wrestling words in reverse. My Japanese is a lot better now, so I wasn’t sure how much I’d be able to learn this time, but the concept of the book was so good, I couldn’t resist buying myself a copy. And I’m really glad that I did, because it’s super fun!

I might finally learn what some of these common lucha moves actually are, haha:

One of the sections is structured like this, which is super convenient for me because it means I can use the English to help me with the Spanish, too, haha. There aren’t many Spanish words I don’t know, but there are a few.

I also enjoy the notes on the side (which of course you need to be able to understand Japanese to read). In my cursory glance through the book, I saw that a few of them are trying to help the Japanese speakers pronounce the different sounds in Spanish. It’s interesting how the sounds translate, like “yo” in Spanish is katakana-ized as ジョ (“jo”) instead of ヨ (“yo”), and there’s a note explaining that the “lla” in “llamo” is pronounced ジャ (“ja”) (and not ヤ (“ya”) as I might have expected).

My mom really struggles with the “yo” pronunciation in Spanish because the Duolingo voices pronounce it sometimes more like “yo” and sometimes more like “jo”. She’s asked several native speakers for their opinion and has gotten a variety of answers, haha. I think it’s a regional thing, where some accents give it more of a “J” sound and others more of a “Y” sound, with the language not really distinguishing between the two sounds. I suppose the Japanese ジョ and ジャ aren’t too far off from that sort of middle ground sweet spot.

I really like this page of the book, which uses luchador masks to teach the names of the colors (and explains the mask symbolism on the other page):

And finally, here’s a page where they teach you how to cheer for and heckle the wrestlers in both English and Spanish (spoilered for some rude language, haha):

6 Likes

Man, that is a super awesome book; thanks for sharing so many pictures of it! I never would’ve guessed that an organization would put together such a book, but I’m happy to be proven wrong, haha.

4 Likes

Oh my god! What a cool Pro Wrestling trilingual book!! The makers of this publication are genius! The wrestling move images and the masks are amazing!

I also love how your mom is also trying to learn Spanish!

I’ve just gotten a copy of the Spanish book club pick and read the first couple of pages in the plane on Friday. Not sure if I can diligently follow the number of pages per week considering my travel plans this next month, but thanks for linking the audiobook. Will try to at least listen to that with reading to follow!

5 Likes

I have been kept so busy by wrestling :smiling_face_with_tear:. Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling is in the middle of one of their busiest periods of the year, and this past weekend was WrestleMania week, which is not a show I care about in at all the slightest (I’ve never watched WWE and never plan on it), but it’s a bit of an annual tradition for a whole bunch of companies to put on indie shows in the same city as WrestleMania, sort of riding the wave of enthusiasm for pro wrestling and taking advantage of the crowds.

So TJPW had two shows in America, coming off of their biggest show ever the week before in Japan, and I’ve been diligently plugging away at the resulting translation workload (the material I’m translating from Grand Princess on March 31 is over 12k characters, which is I believe my longest translation yet…).

And then on top of that I have an insane plan to read an entire book on fandom tanka in Japanese so that I can learn how to write tanka poems in time to write one in response to Hyper Misao’s (a TJPW wrestler who loves tanka) produce show on April 19.

Thanks to these two projects, I’ve been reading/translating Japanese for a solid four hours a day for basically the past two weeks. Two hours of translation each day, and two hours of reading the tanka book. And whatever energy I have left that has not gone into watching wrestling (or adjusting my sleep schedule to watch wrestling) or doing a few IRL commitments has been going into attempting to compose tanka poems (in Japanese).

So my Spanish studies have been firmly backburnered :weary:.

I have been getting some listening practice, though! I’ve been going on walks and listening to Radio Ambulante.

I also watched a couple CMLL shows! Or, well, I watched CMLL Homenaje A Dos Leyendas 2024 on March 29 and then like one single match on the show the week after because it partially overlapped another show I was watching, and it was my fourth wrestling show that day… :sweat_smile:

But Homenaje A Dos Leyendas was great! The Blackpool Combat Club (minus Wheeler Yuta and plus Matt Sydal) came from AEW to Arena Mexico and fought Blue Panther, Mistico, Ultimo Guerrero, and Volador Jr., and the crowd atmosphere was absolutely incredible. The show sold out weeks ago, and the Mexican crowd was so excited to see the AEW wrestlers. Many fans were excited because of the wrestlers’ WWE work, but I heard that there were a fair number of people there in BCC shirts, so clearly there were fans of their AEW stuff as well.

Bryan Danielson came back the week after to finally wrestle his dream singles match with his idol Blue Panther. And Willow Nightingale stuck around for another match after the Leyendas show. She had some great exchanges with Stephanie Vaquer in their tag match, so I hope they get a proper feud, too!

Apparently the atmosphere was so incredible, it sparked a lot more interest from AEW wrestlers in coming to CMLL. I hope there’s a lot more of this to come!

In any case, it was solid listening practice for me because the shows all had Spanish commentary. I also read some tweets about the show from Mexican fans afterward, so I got a tiny bit of reading practice in, too, haha.

Funnily enough, I watched the stream with a bunch of strangers, and the topic of learning Spanish actually came up. Someone talked about being glad that they took Spanish in high school, and other people chimed in saying that they didn’t learn enough to actually be able to use the language in a meaningful way. I was this close to commenting and recommending some learning tools, but I didn’t exactly want to direct a crowd with a lot of 4chan users to the Natively community, so I held my tongue…

I am firmly behind on the La Ciudad de las Bestias book club, though :weary:.

I successfully read chapter 1, then sort of ran out of time and fell behind from week 2 onward…

I’m hoping to start catching up now, though! I’m going to try listening to each chapter all the way through before reading it like I did for the first chapter.

So hopefully I will join you all again in the book club threads soon!

I’m going to leave off with this Dungeon Meshi fanart that taught me a new word in Spanish:

@jay_jays_jay 9:34 PM · Apr 5, 2024
senshi cebando mate #dungeonmeshi

(I tried to embed the tweet, but the Natively forum is not currently set up to embed tweets, so I had to attempt to do it manually :smiling_face_with_tear:)

3 Likes

Just wanted to say that I’ve been following your progress on the periphery in Discord, but wanted to say formally how impressed I am with your efforts. I really hope Hyper Misao sees all your hard work!

3 Likes

I love that twitter picture! So you cebar mate, I wonder if that will come in our book club book.

Your work ethic with the translation is really inspiring. I hope you’re not burning yourself out!

3 Likes

Finished my tanka project (and my first Real Book™ in Japanese) successfully!

Also picked up some more real life responsibilities, so language learning has had to take a bit of a backseat lately :smiling_face_with_tear:.

I’ve been catching up on La Ciudad de las Bestias book club, but not as fast as I would like to be catching up. I feel like I’m more not falling further behind rather than catching up:sweat_smile:

Here are my week 2 thoughts, and my week 3 thoughts.

Besides that, pretty much all of the rest of my exposure to Spanish lately has been through listening to Radio Ambulante. There were a couple episodes I just listened to about Venezuela: Adiós, bolívar and El apagón. It got me thinking about Venezuela and the economic situation there.

Ten years ago, the thing that introduced me to the concept of hyperinflation was this Atlantic article called My Hyperinflation Vacation. The piece left an impression on me because it seemed like such a scummy rich person thing to do, basically exploiting another country’s misfortune and taking advantage of extreme economic inequality to get a cheap vacation for yourself without meaningfully helping the other country in any way…

I doubt Venezuela is a popular vacation spot even for the greediest and most callous of tourists, but I couldn’t help but think about that piece when reading about Venezuela off and on in the years that followed, just the weird things that hyperinflation can do to an economy.

My brother is a big Old School RunesScape player, and he’s how I found out that apparently the economic crisis in Venezuela has driven a lot of people to make a living by (illegally) gold farming in RuneScape (here’s an article about that).

So I thought about that a lot when listening to the Radio Ambulante episode on Venezuela and cryptocurrency. I wonder if I’ll eventually hear one about RuneScape, too…

I guess that’s all I have to say for this update! Hopefully I’ll be able to un-backburner Spanish at some point and get back to doing more reading again!

6 Likes

Dang, they’ve got it paywalled. I need to see if I can find an archived version or something.

1 Like

Give this a shot :wink:

2 Likes

Oooh, very interesting. :eyes: Thank you!

1 Like

Had an extremely stressful weekend last week and am still sort of recovering from that by taking it a bit easier this week. But I seriously am trying to get back to reading in Spanish more regularly now!

I only managed one chapter of La Ciudad de las Bestias over the past two weeks.

Besides that, I have listened to a bit more Radio Ambulante! The most recent episode I listened to was El conteo, which was about the aftermath of Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico, and the question of how to determine the number of people killed in a natural disaster like that.

Depressing episode!

It reminded me of a few things, the first being covid death counts and how the official count seems to be a massive under-representation of the actual numbers, because excess deaths have remained much higher than they were pre-covid, which suggests that covid is also contributing to other deaths that it might not be directly considered the cause of.

The other thing it reminded me of was the way that death counts can be politicized and minimized by politicians who don’t want to be responsible for them. There’s a certain current conflict in the world with death counts that appear to be way lower than they likely are in reality due to a certain government’s suppression of the process of acquiring those death counts…

But anyway, the podcast is still going pretty well, and it’s a good way to keep up my Spanish practice when I’m able to go out for a few walks each week but can’t keep up much else.

3 Likes
death count

There were a lot of things that contributed to the death count at the height of the pandemic. Covid-19 infections, of course, but also the state of the hospitals, that were unable to do routine operations due to how many patients they had to deal with (and scheduled operations being delayed as well, because they couldn’t operate patients while they had Covid).

The following article from the WHO has a lot of interesting stats about the excess death toll during the pandemic, if you want to learn more about this.
Global excess deaths associated with COVID-19, January 2020 - December 2021

2 Likes
death count

Interestingly, this study suggests that this is likely not the main reason:

If the primary explanation for these deaths were healthcare interruptions and delays in care, the non-COVID excess deaths would likely occur after a peak in reported COVID-19 deaths and subsequent interruptions in care, says study lead author Eugenio Paglino, a PhD student studying demography and sociology at UPenn. “However, this pattern was not observed nationally or in any of the geographic subregions we assessed,” Paglino says.

It’s actually surprisingly (maybe not surprisingly, haha, after that whole episode I listened to) a complicated and contentious subject, and there are multiple models of the data which sometimes come to different conclusions. Here’s The Economist’s model (if that link doesn’t work, try this) based on more recent data, which suggests that excess deaths remain 5% above pre-covid forecasts.

I think they actually just changed the methodology for estimating excess mortality in the wake of the pandemic, though I don’t really understand it enough to weigh in, haha.

My own guess as to what is happening is that it’s the cumulative effect of covid damaging people’s bodies (including immune dysregulation). So you get an increased risk for diabetes, heart attack, stroke, etc., as well as possible activation of latent tuberculosis and that sort of thing, and just a general increased susceptibility to a lot of stuff (or an increased chance of having more severe sickness). And covid wouldn’t be credited as the direct cause of those extra deaths, but is nonetheless surely a contributing factor…

The same article linked at the top of this post has come to the conclusion that many of the deaths are just covid deaths that went uncounted for various reasons:

Many of these geographical differences in death patterns are likely explained by differences in state policies, COVID death protocols, or political biases by local officials that influenced COVID policies, the researchers say. In rural areas, for example, COVID-19 testing was more limited, and political biases or stigma around COVID may have affected whether COVID-19 was listed on a death certificate. Conversely, reported COVID-19 deaths may have exceeded non-COVID excess deaths due to successful mitigation policies that encouraged physical distancing and masking, and likely lowered cases of other respiratory diseases. Certain state protocols, such as in Massachusetts, also enabled death investigators to list COVID-19 as an official cause of death within 60 days of a diagnosis (until March 2022), rather than the 30-day limit in other states.

I find it fascinating how something we tend to view as very hard set in stone objective data is actually entirely subject to local cultural practices and politics.

2 Likes
death count

That’s one thing that at least I’m not surprised about at all. The pandemic has just been a bunch of conflicting opinions and conclusions one after the other from the start. Because this topic was heavily broadcasted, it turned into a political matter, and that’s where the science and the truth tend to get lost. Not all of the data is released, and researchers may already have a biased opinion from the start, so you end up with opposing conclusions.
(Just taking an example of that, last year my biology university teachers couldn’t agree on the whole cause of the start of the pandemic. There were basically three groups, two opposing groups that both had research supporting their opinion, and the third one that was less biased and thought that there was no certain answer.)

I definitely agree with you on that. A lot of people (me included) still have a messed up immune system from COVID-19 infection. There’s also an increased risk of new-onset asthma and the severity of the asthma and subsequently mortality rates are also increased. And like you said there are other risk increases, for diabetes (1, 2), strokes (3). That bit about latent tuberculosis reactivation is super interesting, somehow I’d never come across it, here’s an interesting paper describing just that.

1 Like