すべての神様の十月 help understanding first chapter

Hi All,

Is it OK to ask for help understanding a book here? (If the answer is “no”, then I’ll delete the post. Let me know either way.)

I started reading すべての神様の十月 the other day. I finished the first chapter, 幸せな死神. I understood everything up until the last two sections (sectioned off in my edition by :star: characters). I was feeling that the reading level was quite appropriate and I was enjoying the story, so it’s a bit frustrating to completely miss out on the ending.

Can anyone here help me understand what happened here?

It seems to me like she asked the god of death what his name is just as he was disappearing, and he said he had no name. Then she asked him to name the child. But I never caught what the name of the child ended up being — there was just some discussion with the in-laws (?) about it, but I never caught the name itself. Finally, it ends with her saying that she’ll see the god of death when she dies, it seems. But my understanding was that the god disappeared after having witnessed a birth, so how will she see him? What did I miss here?

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

Yes you are totally welcome to ask questions here!

It might be useful to post specific sentences you’re having trouble with. That way we can see the original text and help you understand what’s happening even if we haven’t read the book. And it could help you going forward if there are similar difficult sentences later in the book.

Of course those of us who haven’t read it might not have all of the context, but we can still help with grammar and vocab.

2 Likes

Thanks. It’s a bit difficult, because it’s not that I don’t understand a particular sentence, but about two paragraphs. I feel like I went from understanding the scene and what was going on, to some kind of skip to a different scene where I’m completely lost. If that makes sense?

2 Likes

I read this book quite some time ago so my memory is vague but I can take a look after work (~3 hours from now) if no one else gets to this first.

And yes, questions absolutely welcomed! :smile:

4 Likes

I happen to have the ebook, so this is the part in question:

死神が、微笑んでいた。

赤ちゃんの、私の赤ちゃんの泣き声が響く中、本当に嬉しそうな微笑みを浮かべている。

「おめでとうございます」

「ありがとう」

先生も、看護師さんも、たくさんの人がいるけれど誰も死神のことなんて気にしてない。私たちがこうして話しているのも聞こえているんだけど、死神が去ってしまえば皆忘れてしまう。

死神が、ゆっくりと息を吐いた。満足そうに。

「帆奈さん」

「なぁに」

「さよならです」

え?

「本当に、嬉しいです。きっと、これが、幸せです」

「どうしたの」

薄い。

死神、あなた、色が薄いわよ。どんどん消えていくみたいだよ。

「死神!?」

「私たちは、誕生に出会うことはないんです。それは、あってはならないことなんです。もし、誕生の瞬間に立ち会うことがあったのなら、私たちの存在は消えてしまうんです」

「どうして」

そんなこと、言わなかった。

「幸せを感じるって言ったじゃない。人が生まれるところを、私の赤ちゃんを見ることができたら、普通の死神が絶対に感じることのできないはずの幸せを感じられるって言ったじゃないの」

幸せっていうものを、知りたいって。

死神が、にっこり笑った。あの甘いマスクで。

「ごめんなさい。嘘をつきました」

「どうして」

「私たちは、消えることができないんです」

「消えること?」

人間で言うところの長い長い気の遠くなるような時間、ずっとずっと人が死ぬ瞬間の場所に現われてそれを見取っていく。

永遠に続く仕事。

ただそれだけでしかない存在。

「私たちにとっての〈幸せ〉とは、消えることだったんです。この死神の役目から逃れること。それだけが、私たちの〈幸せ〉なんですよ。そして」

唯一消える方法が、誕生の瞬間に立ち会うことなんです。

私は、消えたかったんです。

死神は、そう言った。どんどん薄くなっていくその姿で。

「そんな」

そんなの。

消えちゃうってどういうこと。

「ありがとう。帆奈さん」

「死神」

「最後に、知ることができました」

「何を」

消えることだけじゃない。それだけが幸せじゃなかった。

そう言った。

「生命の誕生は、素晴らしいことですね。とても嬉しいことですね。幸せですね。帆奈さん」

素晴らしいです、って。

あなた、それ、涙? 泣いてるの? 嬉し涙?

「あなたの赤ちゃんが生まれる瞬間に立ち会えて、本当に私は嬉しい。生まれ落ちた命はただそれだけで愛しいものなんですね。今、それを感じています。喜びを感じています。そしてそれは」

幸せなことです。

胸に手を当てて、死神は言った。

「幸せです」

私は今、幸せです。

その言葉が、風のように消えていった。

死神の姿と一緒に。

そんな。

「死神!」

名前は?

今まで訊かなかったけど。あなたは言わないし、訊いたら失礼かなって。そんなものはないんじゃないかって思って今の今まで訊かなかったけど。

あなたの名前は?

名前などありません。

じゃあ、じゃあ。

この子の名前をあなたにあげる。

私に?

そう。今、決めたの。この子の名前はね。

「名前は?」

お父さんとお母さん。お義父さんにお義母さん。そして、最愛の、旦那様の正則さん。可愛い男の子だって皆が言ってくれた。

「決めたの?」

お義母さんは正則さんに訊いた。

「まだなんだ。生まれてから、二人で、この子の顔を見てから決めようって話していたから」

「あら、そうなの」

そうなんだ。そうやって話していたんだけど。

「正則さん」

「ん?」

「さっき、この子の顔を見たときに、ふっと浮かんだ名前があるんだけど」

おお、ってお義父さんが微笑んだ。

「そういうインスピレーションは大事だぞ」

正則さんも、笑った。

「どんな名前?」

「あのね」

ねぇ、死神。

聞こえたでしょ? さっき言ったこの子の名前。それを、あなたにもつけてあげる。この子と同じ名前。

いいでしょ?

不吉だとか、そんなこと感じないよ。だってあなたいい人だったもの。普通の人間より、はるかにはるかに、人間らしかったもの。優しかったもの。

この子には、そんな子になってほしい。人の喜びも悲しみも辛さもそして、不幸せも幸せも全部きちんと理解できる子に。感じられる人になってほしい。

だから、名前をつけてあげる。あなたとこの子に、同じ名前を。

それでまたひとつ、幸せになれないかな。

なれるよね。

勝手にそう思っておくから。

それで、イヤじゃなかったら、できるものなら、私が死ぬ瞬間に来てよ。

私、ゼッタイに幸せな人生を送って満足した顔で死んでいくから。

会いに来て、私を看取ってよ。

久しぶりですねって、会いに来てよ。

I haven’t read the story yet but in this part the name isn’t said. It’s not important. She just gives the name of her child to the shinigami, so he can also have a name. She doesn’t tell this to the family, though and they are happy with the name she came up with. And she asks the shinigami to come to her again in her moment of death after she has lived a happy life. I think, she just wants to belive that she will see the shinigami again. :woman_shrugging:t2: but maybe something else in the story explains it?

4 Likes

Ahh. OK. Your explanation makes a lot of sense in the context of the story. Let me re-read the sections again with that in mind. I guess I was mistakenly thinking that whatever the name itself was was going to be the “punchline” of the story. Instead, the name itself was not important. And I also missed the fact that, upon realizing it had no name, the lady then named the shinigami. I actually think I know what sentence this is, and that I mistakenly read the sentence as having said that the shinigami gave the name, and not the other way around — oops.

Thanks again.

4 Likes

Yes. I just re-read it and it’s much more clear to the point that I’m not sure how I was initially confused (though I surely was confused). :smiley:

I think I still sometimes swap the direction of XはYにあげる and XはYにくれる. When I stop to think about it, I know the difference, but if I’m reading (not trying to translate) and have an expectation that the giving is going to be going a specific way, I’m apt to overlook it if it is actually the other way around. If that makes sense.

4 Likes

Thanks for posting the excerpt, @Biblio ! Reading it over, yeah, I agree. It seems like the name was intentionally left out. Just the act was important, not the actual name. Such a cute story :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

You are more than welcome. Glad it helped. Questions like these force me to properly look at a text, so it’s good practice for me too. :sweat_smile: