Home thread for 🤸 体育館の殺人 🔪 | Mystery Novel Book Club

Sadly, I can’t read with everyone this round :crying_cat_face:

Too much going on IRL with the JLPT & various Interviews this month; although, I’ve read week 1 and will try and catchup (or at least finish the book!) once it’s all over.

Loving the character list. I’ll be using that when I catch up!

6 Likes

:frowning: I’m already one week behind. Life is not giving me time to read these days.

4 Likes

There hasn’t been too much in terms of crazy plot developments (which is very typical for mysteries IMO - slow burns at the start) so don’t worry about it too much :slight_smile: The threads also stay open to be posted in.

Although I have no idea how long :thinking: I know WK had to change the default for book clubs, I’m assuming we have whatever comes standard for Discourse.

5 Likes

Oof… back from my trip and so behind on this read… :face_holding_back_tears: Guess I’ll try to play catch up… :eyes: looking forward to reading all your 感想.

3 Likes

Week 4 begins :mag_right:

4 Likes

Apparently I am already in week 6, so I have no thread to post this, but I think the writing is quite funny sometimes… I put the quote behind a spoiler, although it really doesn’t spoil anything. Just some banter:

「いや、ISのOVAとDTBの二期を見返してたら夜が明けた」

「……日本語で話してほしいんですが」

The reply just made me chuckle. I feel like this IRL a lot of the time. :rofl:

3 Likes

I got curious, so I looked it up. DTB stands for “Digital Talking Book”… and then I found out it’s also the abbreviation of the title of an anime (which matches the context much better).

1 Like

But which anime is IS? Hmmm

1 Like

There’s only one result showing up on google, so I assume it’s the one.

Interestingly, I was thinking of I"s instead. I didn’t remember the double quote mark in the middle. (Also, I don’t know anything about it except that I have seen that title around)

Yes. There are many references I’m not aware of…

1 Like

Week 5 is open :male_detective:

4 Likes

Week 6 is open. :ribbon: :closed_umbrella:

4 Likes

Sadly rushed to the end of the book last week, just to be basically told that you’d have to be stupid to think what I thought. I almost gave the book only 2* out of spite :japanese_ogre:
Also, I cannot comment anymore, but it’s alright, I’ll just lurk.

6 Likes

Be sure to read my theories then, as I’m favoring hot takes and endings that please me more than being carefully worked through

I can get really invested in some books, but this is not one of them

4 Likes

Will do!

1 Like

I am not made for bookclubs… I am either behind or ahead. Somehow, I struggle with keeping the pace of a bookclub. :see_no_evil:

And at the point where I am at (which is week 8, I think) the detective forced his way into the home of a student, past the protesting mother and into the room of a female student - who could have been changing clothes, etc… Japanese law might be different, but surely that’s illegal there as well. :eyes: tbf, all that interrogating of minors without their legal guardians present, is more than iffy as well.

2 Likes

Week 7 is open :dvd:

3 Likes

Week 8 is open for speculation! We have reached the 挑戦!
Meme gif. The "math lady" meme: A closeup of a blonde woman looking around suspiciously as math equations appear in front of her.

3 Likes

I am finished. and yet another book that shows me I would make a terrible detective. :rofl:

Has anyone read the other books in the series? Do the 2 MC get together at some point? :eyes:

4 Likes

Sorry for the delay! Christmas kind of threw my schedule a bit.

体育館の殺人~終わり

Please remember you have two weeks to read this portion if you like as it’s a longer than usual assignment.

4 Likes