Home thread for マルコと銀河竜 ✨🐉 (Visual Novel Reading Club)

Ohh good to know - and disappointing - that switch version doesn’t have the language toggle

5 Likes

tokyotoon personally browsed the thread and gave us a discount :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Dear Tokyotoon, please also discount the Switch version

4 Likes

Big thanks to Tokyotoon then! :smile: I was on the fence about joining, but the sale tipped me over the edge. Looking forward to getting started with everyone soon.

6 Likes

So, I finally got the game myself. For anybody wondering, here’s how to get to the percentage display:

1. Go back to the title menu (via settings window “TITLE MENU” or via File->Back To Title on Steam in windowed mode). No need to save, you can easily continue.
  2. Click on “Extras”.
  3. Click on “CG Mode”.
  4. At the bottom you can find the “Acquisition rate”. This is the total amount of CG images you’ve seen, completely unrelated to the current save file.

Unfortunately there seems to be no way to find out the percentage for a save file, so you cannot easily retroactively check the percentage for older scenes if you already played well past the point.

If you want to calculate backwards a few percent because you overshot a good stopping point you wanted to share with us:

• Every 10 images (two rows á 5 images) are ~1%.

(There are exactly 1040 CGs in the CG mode menu.)

5 Likes

I’ll be reading along on PC. I’ve never read a visual novel and never used steam either, so it should be interesting. The story sounds good :+1:

7 Likes

I reached the designated end of the first week at 16% CG, and according to my text hooker, we’re only at about 6794 out of presumably 82204 (according to jpdb) characters. So… 8% of the text. (My text hooker includes all dialogue, narration and movie subtitles, but no speaker character names. No idea if jpdb counts the same way.)

Either way, that might be okay for the first week. In many book clubs, we’re reading a bit slower in the beginning and start speeding up later anyway, and maybe that’s how it’ll happen naturally if we orient ourselves on the CG percentage.

But who knows! Time for a poll!

• Reading less is fine for the first week, let’s see how it develops in the next weeks
  • Let’s find a split that’s closer to 1/6th of the text
0 voters
3 Likes

Decided to join in once I can get a switch copy if it’s available in UK, but I’ll need to wait til I get paid on Monday.

I’ve not read a visual novel before so this will be fun.

7 Likes

Welcome to the club and to the wonderful world of VNs!

You can already start earlier than Monday using the free Switch demo if you want to. The save file doesn’t carry over, but there are no decisions or anything - so getting to the same point again is just a few minutes of button mashing and waiting.

2 Likes

I have given myself a bit of a head start - and I must say, I am very confused. :see_no_evil: I hope it all becomes clearer as the story progresses, but I like the art style, though the fan service is a bit… well… they are middle schoolers. :roll_eyes:

ブヒ!

4 Likes

I think a better place to stop in week 1 is when マルコ leaves the supermarket. It’s the same CG percentage, but there is a natural cut in the game and only a couple of hundred characters more.

CG

6 Likes

Haha. Feel free to ask any questions in the first thread, maybe someone has a better understanding of it with the information we’re having… although I feel like the story might be a bit happy-go-lucky, much like our protagonists :laughing:

(For the most part… things got a little bit darker when Astarot entered the scene. (first week spoilers).)

In that first week’s part already? If so, I’m curious what you’d consider fan service there.

Agreed. I updated the first post!

3 Likes

I mean what exactly is this pose, if not fan service? (week 1 CG)

and while we don’t see panties, there are quite a view up-skirt shots. it’s all about the angle… :face_with_peeking_eye:

3 Likes

Oh yeah, that’s fair! It didn’t even register for me :sweat_smile:

(I blame it on me being distracted by reading Japanese!)

2 Likes

tbf, I would sometimes prefer for my brain to not register some stuff. :face_holding_back_tears:

6 Likes

ブヒ!

5 Likes

Suggestion for finishing week 2 at CG Image 34%

Sakurako character screen

3 Likes

@mikemike888, サンキュー

And with that, time for week 2!

5 Likes

@Legato
I was reading ahead since I’ll be busy but for how much do you aim each week?
At 12k and 51% CG there is a neat break if that is enough for next week’s section.

4 Likes

The plan is to go for ~50%, ~67% ~83% and 100% in the next weeks and hope that it averages out at ~15k/week without going too much over or under. 17k in week 2 and 12k in week 3 seems great then, thanks!

3 Likes