Home thread for 告白 🪑 🙊

:sweat_smile: I copied the template from a previous club but clearly my proofreading wasn’t thorough enough

2 Likes

Uff, the JP embassy library has a copy, but it is still under renovation. Supposed to open end of this month, so hopefully I can get it in a reasonable time.

Been wanting to read this for a while!

3 Likes

I caved in and got the book today, so I’ll be reading along next week.
This will be my first time participating in a book club, let’s see if I can actually stick to the schedule.

The page numbers for my version:
Week 1 - Up until star break. Sentence ending in 殺されたからです。- 9% / p. 29
Week 2 - Through end of chapter 1 - 19% / p. 61
Week 3 - Up until star break. Sentence ending in 救われた気分でした。- 28% / p. 87
Week 4 - Through end of chapter 2 - 38% / p. 119
Week 5 - Chapter 3 - 54% / p. 169
Week 6 - up until bolded section starting with 四歳児 - 64% / p. 196
Week 7 - through end of chapter 4 - 74% / p. 229
Week 8 - through end of book - 100% / p. 301

6 Likes

Whew; these two weeks look like they’re going to be rough. The other weeks average something like 30 pages per, but it’s going to be 50 and 70 here.

Looking forward to having you!

2 Likes

This will be my first book club on Natively! This book will have the highest level of any Japanese novel I’ve read so far. I checked out the preview and it seems like it’ll be fine though.

Looking forward to reading this with everyone!

7 Likes

Whoops thought I replied to this! Thanks for the numbers, I’ll add them when I’m at my computer!

Happy to have you! If anything does seem confusing or unclear feel free to ask questions! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Looking forward to reading with you as well! Be sure to post any questions you have, and can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the book!

6 Likes

For those who are new joiners - I typically open the weekly threads in the evening my time (I’m in an American timezone) the night before the official ‘start’ of each week. This is because a substantial number of club members are in time zones ahead of me and I like the thread open in the morning for them…and I tend to have more time in the evenings anyways :stuck_out_tongue:

So without further ado: Week 1 of :chair: 告白 :speak_no_evil: is open!

6 Likes

Character List

Please add character names and readings, along with any helpful details. If the helpful detail is a spoiler please spoiler tag that detail and note which week it’s for.
Ex: 田中太郎;たなか・たろう;社長、week 2: 人殺し

Original List

Characters

渡辺;わたなべ;生徒
田中;たなか;生徒
大川;おおかわ;生徒
桜宮正義;さくらのみや・まさよし;”最近テレビでよく見かける先生” week 2: 悠子先生の夫
前川;まえがわ;生徒
阿部;あべ;生徒
戸倉;とくら;A組の先生(男性)
長谷川;はせがわ;生徒
愛美;まなみ;ナレーター先生の娘
井坂;いさか;生徒
浜崎;はまざき;生徒
竹中;ナレーターさんの娘を預かったおばあさん
ムク;竹中さんの犬
内藤;ないとう;生徒;愛美とよく遊んでいた
松川;まつかわ;生徒;愛美とよく遊んでいた
下村;しもむら;生徒
星野;ほしの;野球部の生徒
北原;きたはら;生徒(?)
悠子;ゆうこ;B組の先生
直樹;なおき;別名:「直くん」;week 3: 自分の部屋に閉じこもった子
修哉;しゅうや;week 3: 「人殺し」と思われた子
ウェルテル;本名は「良輝」(よしき);week 3: B組の新しい担任先生
志保;しほ;生徒
健太;けんた;生徒
亮治;りょうじ;生徒
美月;みづき;別名:「ミズホ」;委員長
祐介;ゆうすけ;副委員長
綾香;あやか;生徒
由美;ゆみ;生徒
由香里;ゆかり;生徒
早紀;さき;生徒

Characters

Teachers

Name Pronunciation Notes
戸倉 とくら A組の先生(男性)
森口悠子 もりぐち・ゆうこ B組の先生; week 1: ナレーター
ウェルテル 本名は「寺田良輝」(てらだ・よしき); week 3: B組の新しい担任先生
忠夫 ただお 理科の先生

Students

Name Pronunciation Notes
田中 たなか 生徒
大川 おおかわ 生徒
前川 まえがわ 生徒
阿部 あべ 生徒
長谷川 はせがわ 生徒
井坂 いさか 生徒
浜崎 はまざき 生徒
内藤 ないとう 生徒;愛美とよく遊んでいた
松川 まつかわ 生徒;愛美とよく遊んでいる
星野 ほしの 野球部の生徒
北原 きたはら 生徒(?)
下村直樹 しもむら・なおき 別名:「直くん」;week 3: 自分の部屋に閉じこもった子; week 4: 少年B
渡辺修哉 わたなべ・しゅうや week 3: 「人殺し」と思われた子; week 4: 少年A
志保 しほ 生徒
健太 けんた 生徒
亮治 りょうじ 生徒
北原美月 みづき 別名:「ミズホ」;委員長; week 2: ナレーター
祐介 ゆうすけ 副委員長
綾香 あやか 生徒
由美 ゆみ 生徒
由香里 ゆかり 生徒
早紀 さき 生徒

Other

Name Pronunciation Notes
桜宮正義 さくらのみや・まさよし ”最近テレビでよく見かける先生” week 2: 悠子先生の夫
愛美 まなみ ナレーター先生の娘
竹中 ナレーターさんの娘を預かったおばあさん
ムク 竹中さんの犬
聖美 きよみ 直樹の姉; week: ナレーター
5 Likes

Hi, joining this slightly late! I see some familiar faces from the WK forums already. This seems to be more difficult than any book I’ve attempted so far, but I’m excited to be reading with a book club again :raised_hands:

6 Likes

Just came back home from Japan - perfect timing to read with you all. Been meaning to read this for a while and it has recently also been released on audio. :partying_face: So, let’s see if the third time (it’s book 3 of the club, right? :thinking:) is the charm and I’ll like this book.

5 Likes

Book 4 actually (when did the time go? It seems to me like the club only started last month or something :eyes:). Did you not like any of the previous books? I only read the first two picks, but I enjoyed 十角館の殺人. And I definitely enjoyed the current pick, but read it before the club. :smiley:

4 Likes

I didn’t hate them, but I have yet to really like one. :see_no_evil:

Week 2 is open :milk_glass:

3 Likes

Opening week 3 early as there’s a non-zero chance I’ll get home very late and not remember to create the thread. Excited to see what’s next! :zap:

5 Likes

Sorry for the slight delay on this one! Week 4 is open!

4 Likes

Week 5 is open! :drop_of_blood:

Also I posted week 6 early as I won’t be around a computer during the normal thread opening time.

5 Likes

Finished yesterday. The final part flew by quickly. That ending is infuriating . Really enjoyed my time with this one. Looking forward to following everyone‘s comments in the final weeks. :eyes:

3 Likes

Week 7 is open! :dog2: :bread:

Also I know it’s not the in the book club topic area - that’s addressed at the top of the thread :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I finished the rest of the story over the weekend, I’m just left with the added interview about the movie adaptation that I’ll finish up somewhere this week. It’s the first book I would say I really liked reading from basically the start up till the end.

4 Likes