How often do you give 5/5 ratings?

I was looking through the non-manga part of my library and realized that, aside from several volumes of 本好きの下剋上, I had only given two books a rating of 5/5: 獣の奏者 (1) | L33 and かがみの孤城 | L28. This made me curious how often people give a rating of 5/5.

For me, if I include 本好きの下剋上, I’ve given 11/44 books a 5/5 rating. (If I exclude 本好きの下剋上 it’s only 2/23.)

For manga, I gave 43/245 volumes a 5/5 rating. Apparently all but one of them are volumes of my favorite manga series. Obviously it would trend that direction since those series are my favorites for a reason, but I do find it surprising (and a bit sad) that I’ve only had one stray 5/5 score.

So how often do you give a 5/5 rating?

8 Likes

I gave 98/339 a 5* rating.
I was pretty positive about light novels when I started reading them, since I was new to the medium. I would probably give 4* to quite a few of those nowadays. (But it might also be that my enthusiasm for those specific series has died down since then).

For manga, 233/677 5* ratings. I can see a strong bias here: I tend to go for longer series and drop them quickly if I don’t love them, so that does make sense.

So, apparently ~30% of the time?

Speaking of which, I only have 10 among the last 50 books (so lower than average) and a bunch of 1*s. So, me feeling like I’m having bad luck with my recent book picks is not just in my head, stats confirm it too :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Haven’t read nearly as much as you two, but out of the books I’ve rated, I’ve apparently rated 11/22 as 5/5. So 50% of the time. But a lot of those are the same series which is mostly 5/5 with a few 4/5s in there. I’m curious how this will change as I read more. I doubt I’ll still have anywhere near 50% 5 stars once I start reading a lot more.

(Edit: if I take out 極主夫道 (series) | L25 (which I’ve rated 8/10 of them 5 stars), I’ll have 3/12 5 star books. So 25%.)

If we count the Stopped books I’ve rated (I don’t like rating books unless I finish them, but there’s some exceptions), 11/26 are 5 stars. And 3/26 are 2 stars (no 1 stars yet…)

5 Likes

If I filter to novels, short stories, and light novels (I rarely read manga and it’s usually because I’ve already seen the show, so unfair bias, and children’s stories I rate differently) which I have finished I have 28 out of 88, or ~32%.

I have given zero 1 stars in that group, and only two 1-star ratings on the site overall. One was in Other because it’s nonfiction and it was a suicide note. It felt really weird to rate a suicide note but I couldn’t review it without rating. The other was 冗談に殺す | L35 which is basically just graphic, glorified animal cruelty. I didn’t finish reading it for obvious reasons.

I tend to know more or less what I’ll like or not at this point, so landing on 5 stars isn’t shocking and I tend to rate books for what they are, rather than against some higher standard. Trashy novel provides entertaining trash? 5 stars. Gritty hard boiled cop drama provides grit? 5 stars.

I give out stars pretty frequently from 2-5, it’s just 1s I rarely do as I typically won’t even finish the book/story/etc that bad, and only review it if it’s a case like the above where I think it’s worth calling out content for others (both were on Aozora Bunko).

9 Likes

I’ve only rated 12 manga/books so far, so that’s not much of a statistic yet, but I gave 5/5 twice… so 16.7%. One short children’s book, and one manga.

Part of the reason might be that I’m only now really starting to be able to read things that I actually want to read. I definitely hope that this number will be higher in the future!

(Also I’m quite sure that the next two manga I’ll finish, ルリドラゴン 1 | L19 and ロジカとラッカセイ 第2巻 | L21, will both be 5/5 as well, so then we’re at 28% :laughing:)

4 Likes

Right, that’s also how I go about it. My 5* on a spicy TL does not mean the same thing as a 5* on a 異世界 light novel, which is not the same thing as my 5* on 天冥の標 1 メニー・メニー・シープ (hard SF).

I should do that… but sunk cost fallacy… numbers go up…
(And sometimes, I just like to hate-read; anger does get the adrenaline pumping, making you feel alive and stuff :joy:)

5 Likes

“Stopped” has a number too :stuck_out_tongue:

(And you could make the numbers of things you like go up in the meantime!)

2 Likes

A number that feels like failure :angry:

More seriously, leaving something unfinished just feels wrong. The only time it happens is when it’s something I rented from the library. If I didn’t finish it by the time I have to return it, that’s it :slight_smile:
(Also, it seems I tend to not add my stopped book on Natively)

2 Likes

On LearnNatively, counting only the books I’ve finished, and including textbooks and graded readers, I have 13 out of 173 five star rated books, or about 7%.

It’s not far off from the data I have from GoodReads, which includes the books I’ve read in English – on there I have 95 out of 1062 books rated at five stars, just under 9%.

I have Very Strong Opinions™ about star rating systems, so I try to be stingy with my five stars and reserve them for the books that are really memorable experiences and easy to recommend to others.

6 Likes

Out of 21 books (novels and short stories), I seem to have given 5* stars to 7 of them. There are zero 1* stars, that would be reserved for a book I dislike so much I couldn’t even finish, and happily this hasn’t happened yet.

I rate books against my own expectations for each one of them. If they deliver what I expect or more, they’re five stars. So not all 5* stars ratings mean the same thing.

6 Likes

I very rarely give 5 stars, but that’s true for books in any language. I have a fairly consistent rating system which is basically the goodreads rating system.

1 star – didn’t like it (more like, I hated it but for some reason didn’t DNF XD basically toilet paper)
2 stars – it was OK
3 stars – liked it
4 stars – really liked it
5 stars – it was amazing

(I also sometimes don’t give any ratings for various reasons, but those reasons haven’t come up yet with Japanese books.)

I have only given 2 (out of 102) non-manga books 5 stars, but anything 3 stars and higher is worth reading. (1 of 38 manga has also been given 5 stars.)

Edit: I checked my goodreads stats, and I give 5 stars to about 5% of read books (currently 87/1789), so my Japanese ratings are below that. However, I have been tracking on GR for over 10 years and it includes some books from my childhood. (Basically, if I still remembered a book very fondly and clearly, I thought this was a good sign it’s a 5 star, even if I didn’t re-read it.)

6 Likes

Looking back at my ratings, even a DNF book got two stars - it just wasn’t for me but it wasn’t heinous :laughing:

Five stars is rare enough - I gave the first novel I read five stars but that might have been partly sentimental. Only 4/17 have hit five stars so far!

3 Likes

About 4% of the time, apparently. Though, there are quite a few in there that might deserve 5 stars, but I read them so long ago I’m not confident enough to give them that.

4 Likes

I do feel like I’d benefit from having a /10 or half stars for me, as I think I’m giving perfect scores to something that neither deserves a perfect score nor a 4/5 but something in between.

6 Likes

Yeah, I also prefer half star scales. I usually err on the lower side, if I am in between ratings. However, I take the overall rating on GR into account, i.e. If there are very few ratings, I usually go for the higher rating.

3 Likes

I don’t really rate books outside of a 5 point scale since that’s what Goodreads also uses, so I make do. Once or twice I would have liked a half star option, but it’s not a common occurrence for me.

That said, on AniList I use a 20 point scale (1-10 with half points), so translating that to a 5 point scale when TV/movies launches will be a bit awkward. I think I’ve decided to round down ties, because if I convert 9/10 to 5/5 I’ll have way too many 5/5 scores (about 50%) compared to books. Instead I’ll have very few 5/5 scores, but I guess that feels better to me. Of course, instead this just means nearly everything will get 4/5, which isn’t great either, so I may need to change this a bit.

4 Likes

I know my ratings trend high, but after counting them up, it wasn’t as dramatic as I thought it might be.

For books, I have 18/45 (so 40%) 5-star reviews. However a lot of those are 本好きの下剋上 for me too, so if I exclude those I get 9/35, or around 26%. 4- and 3- stars make up basically everything else, since I’m quite picky about what novels I choose to read in the first place.

For manga, I have 63/134 (about 47%) 5-starred. I tend to rank volumes of the same series about the same level though, so after turning on ‘collapse series’ and recounting, about 18/60 (30%) of unique series had consistent 5-star ratings (and two fluctuated between 4- and 5-stars).

I’m not sure what a 5-star rating means to me, exactly, but I guess I agree with others here that it varies by each book. I also occasionally adjust older ratings when looking back at my library and considering how much I’ve thought about a book after finishing it. Sometimes a book I only gave a 4-star rating ends up sticking in my head for a long time, becoming a reference point for thinking about other media, and I start to appreciate it more over time. On the other hand, once or twice I’ve looked back on a book I’d rated highly but then basically forgot about, and even paging through it again I can’t remember what it was I liked so much about it.

7 Likes

Like candy on Halloween. Unless I’m bored out of my mind reading a book, which is rare that I would finish something I didn’t enjoy, I usually give it a 5 star.

5 Likes

I give 4 stars if an book is as good as I thought it is. 5 stars if it is better than I thought, which is rare, as I usually look into it before I buy it to check whether I like it or not.

A book will get 3 stars and below if it is less good than I thought. Until now only one was in danger to get 2 stars so far, but it got better to the end, so it could reach 3 in the end :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I’m an easy grader. If I really enjoyed the book then it’s a 5 stars. I think 3 stars may be the lowest I’ve given on Natively. If I don’t enjoy a book and don’t end up finishing it, I don’t bother to even grade it.

5 Likes