Korean Beta - Feedback from Korean Users

yeah makes sense. That’s tied in with @bibliothecary comment on the series volume numbers not being accurate in search too.

2 Likes

Just tried the duplicate search again with both the link and ISBN and both returned the Natively link. I was also able to add the children’s book just now that returned the error. Maybe I just copy-pasted the wrong info.

I got ‘unnamed series’ for that book, too. I thought the result for 미생 said it couldn’t find the series at all, though…

I’ll take screenshots when these things happen in the future in case it’s just user error. :sweat_smile:

When I first started studying the language, I got into the habit of buying any second-hand Korean books I came across because it was almost impossible to get non-textbooks any other way.

… Is what I was gonna say, but then I looked around at the bookcases full of English and Japanese books and realised that’s not the whole story. I basically live in a library with a bed. I should change my name to ‘bibliophile’… :rofl:

6 Likes

So that’s correct behavior. It found a Yes24 series but since there’s no link to a dedicated series page, we just use the same name as the book for the series. I don’t know why Yes24 sometimes has a link at the top to a dedicated series page and othertimes just surfaces the volumes on the item page… :person_shrugging:

:laughing: there are worse ways to live!

4 Likes

This happened when I tried adding this book. Pressed search again, and it went through. :thinking:

2 Likes

I think we may need to cap the number of volumes for this series populater, these yes24 series are a bit out of control :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

After watching one episode, the series was automatically set to finished, even though it has 26 episodes listed. I’ve tried setting it to ‘watching’ in Basic Info, but it doesn’t save the changes. :pensive:

2 Likes

Ugh, you’re really hitting issues with the video section :cry:

So, that series is just in a very sad state for TMDB. Is that series pretty obscure?

Basically the issue is that the other episodes don’t have ‘aired at’ dates, so we can’t tell if there will be more episodes. Outside of updating the tmdb database, i’m not sure what we can do… I could rework the logic, but not entirely sure how at the moment.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have thought so, but I suppose as a children’s show it wouldn’t be particularly well-known outisde Korea (although there is an official English dub). There was another show I wanted to add, but couldn’t find at all on TMDB, so I may have to sign up and add the content myself. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

How has it been handled with Japanese if a book/movie/tv show can’t be found on Amazon / TMDB? I’m guessing it rarely happens, but it’ll probably occur much more often with Korean. :confused:

2 Likes

So, both amazon.co.jp & TMDB have excellent coverage for Japanese it seems. There have been a few very rare cases where something wasn’t on TMDB or Amazon, but I believe the one or two times that’s happened, it’s been understandable… they’ve been quite obscure and it’s not really an issue for users.

I will say though, I’m not sure how many legitimate children’s shows people have added… it’s been mostly animation and live action. I could see children’s shows being a bit less likely to be added as the audience is less likely to track them i’d guess. I’m not sure.

Regardless though, please let me know how much of an issue it ends up being. For TV, most of the things i’ve been interested in have been on Netflix which obviously has great coverage. Have there been many things you couldn’t find on Yes24? From my exploration before launch, Yes24 seemed to have by far the best breadth compared to Amazon, Kyobo, Aladin… et al… but i’m still not sure of the coverage.

Also, I do think adding TMDB isn’t too hard, so that is an option if you’re willing to add things :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dang. Now there’s some reading practice for you.

4 Likes

I’ve added dates for 플라워링 하트 and tried syncing, but the problem is still persisting. I also added 생일왕국의 프린세스 프링, but series/episodes haven’t appeared. Not sure if I’ve done something wrong, it needs approval, or just takes a while to update. Haven’t finished adding all the episodes yet, though.

The middle activity seems odd here, too…?

I’ve only had a couple so far, but I’ve just put them aside until I’ve finished adding the other hundreds of books. :grin:

Something else that might be another external site issue: Just Watch doesn’t list Viki for 커피프린스, even though it’s one of their providers and the series is licenced in my region.

On a related note, would it be possible to be able to add links like the ‘where to find’ section for books? Some series (especially children’s ones) are available for free on their official youtube channels.

I’ve also noticed you can’t switch languages if you’re on a series page. The link changes (?_language=jpn/kor), but otherwise the page (and selected language) stays the same. For pages that don’t have a direct equivalent, could toggling the language send you to the dashboard?

Giving you lots of work today! :rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah, that makes sense, good idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

Amazing :joy::joy:

Interesting. I haven’t yet heard complaints around that. I’m not sure… perhaps they have a reporting form too?

Potentially. Right now, I can add them in the admin as a ‘more information link’… so if you put them in your book addition notes when you initially add them, I can upload the link.

Or you can submit feedback if they’re already added.

interesting. I’ll try take a look soon…

2 Likes

Just synced both shows mentioned previously and they’ve updated. Unless you made any changes, I guess it just takes a while for edits on TMDB to come through. :slightly_smiling_face:

On a different note, I changed my default + setting a couple of days ago to ‘owned’, but on a different device it’s still showing ‘wish list’.

1 Like

@brandon One problem I’ve been having is that my stats page for Japanese is completely blank when I click on it. I’m not sure why since the Korean one is working, but I’m assuming it has something to do with having both languages enabled in my settings.

screenshot

2 Likes

I did not, good to know!

Hmm. Yeah. It looks like I only save it to your device’s session, not onto the user account. I could change that.

Whoops! Should be fixed now. Nice catch.

In other news, I think we’re really close to formal launch! There are a few more things I want to do tomorrow, but really hopeful that Tuesday is the day. FWIW, all I mean by ‘launch’ is putting a post in /r/Korean on reddit… after the buzz dies down there, I may announce it a few other places too, open to suggestions :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I posted in the wrong thread :upside_down_face:

Exciting stuff! :star_struck:

Maybe /r/LanguageLearning, discord servers for Korean / general language learning?

2 Likes

Those are good callouts, we’ll see! TBH, i’m sure just from r/Korean, I’ll be working overtime for a while :laughing:

I’ve noted your issue with the activity, but probably won’t investigate if i’m honest… too much to do…

As for the toggle without changing the language setting, yeah that’d be nice. The only issue is that i’d like to change the profile url with whatever language you’re on (in case you decide to link). The way i’m doing it is very quick and dirty but handles that use case. In the future, it wouldn’t be too hard to update the url without changing the language setting.

Would recommend a product request if you feel strongly about it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Even though it’s Japanese-focused, you could probably get a few bites advertising on Wanikani due to the sheer size of the community.

2 Likes

@brandon Shouldn’t this thread be locked? :eyes: