Korean Beta - Feedback from Korean Users

Already made a bug report! :beetle: :gun: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder! I’ll make mention of it there then.

1 Like

(Stop me if there’s already another bug @bibliothecary) Noticed that the numbering is funky on this series - 만화 악역의 엔딩은 죽음뿐 시리즈 (series) | L24.

2 Likes

Noted on all that @eefara

@bibliothecary awesome work on the 두루책방 - Free (series) | L0-18 gradings!

BTW, if you continue to go through and grade these books as you are, the way i’ve set the initial grades here will somewhat set the standard for the entire lvl 0-18 grading system… just because there are so many of those books. I think that’s ok, as I generally think that’s an appropriate level range for it.

What do you think on that? Do you think the level 18s are appropriate? Or should they be set to something like lvl 14?

Not necessary to answer now… and we can always bulk adjust these things later on, but good to have in the back of your mind :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m hoping to get through most of them in the next few days, so we’ll see how the gradings fluctuate… I’m particularly interested in how it will affect the Darakwon graded readers that have official CEFR levels. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Another couple of books not folding in my wish list when ‘collapse series’ is selected.

download (3)

Clicking 클라라 죽이기 sends me this:

And when I look at the series page, it’s not marked as in my books at all:

download (6)

Series page: 팅커벨 죽이기 시리즈 (series) | L30

Curiouser and curiouser… :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Seems like the above was caused by a duplicate being deleted, although the “deleted” book still shows up in search (and my books).

The books are in the right order now, but the numbering is off:

This series… :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Posting so @bibliothecary can. :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Finished 우리 엄마는 내가 지킨다! | L15 but unable to grade it. :thinking:

1 Like

well shoot… :sweat_smile:

And here I thought I just fixed a bunch of things around grading.

Will investigate

2 Likes

So it actually looks like you blocked that book :slight_smile:

I don’t think this one is a bug! Just have to remove the block on your gradings page.

2 Likes

Oops, probably should have checked that! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

We have now moved to ‘Beta stage 2’ as i’m calling it. Namely, you will start to see non-temporary difficulty ratings (levels without ‘??’). New additions will start off as temporary and will go through our normal temporary grading pipeline.

You will also notice that Movies & TV shows will now be prompted to be compared as I mention in my latest update, along with temporary-to-temporary gradings.

That will probably cause a lot of grading comparisons to be generated for you and may cause a bit of fluctatution in the rating system as I think some tv shows are graded a bit too low right now. We will have to see :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have manually made some changes to the bottom range of the TV & Movies ratings for Korean… Namely, I’ve bumped up 3 levels all items with non temporary ratings < lvl 22. I additionally bumped up 다시 만난 세계 S1 | L17 an additional 3 levels. Having watched some of them myself, I felt the TOPIK recommendations & comparisons to Japanese levels made them feel much too low.

FYI this hasn’t made a substantial impact to the relative levels between those items or made the relative levels in general less accurate. Those items were mostly in an island to one or two users . They just started that low due to the Beta process i’ve implemented. The Beta process for new languages is still a pretty rough process tbh (this is the first time!)… so i expected some bumps!

In any case, I think this makes a lot more sense now. And hopefully the ‘Beta 2’ push along with Movie - TV comparisons generally increases the accuracy of the Audiovisual section. I think the book section feels much more reasonable rn.

5 Likes

In that situation maybe the “Why can’t I grade this book?” popup should say “because you’ve blocked it” ?

5 Likes

I feel like something is up with this series. Over 100 books, and yet most of the authors are different. And it’s all children’s books, so all of them being the same level, let alone lvl 31, doesn’t make sense either imo.

2 Likes

Ah good catch. Yeah, that’s one of the bogus Yes24 series. Unfortunately in the beginning we added a few of these (we still sometimes add them if people don’t check the series url).

I’ll keep the series but make it a variant series so that the books are graded individually

2 Likes

I added 후궁의 까마귀 1 | L35?? a while ago, and even though the page only shows the series, it still added other books from the same publisher, J novel purple (series) | L35??.

(bug report?)

3 Likes

Yeah perhaps bug report.

TBH this isn’t unexpected as the link to the mega series is at the top of the page too and we prioritize that one.

However, perhaps we should just almost never to the top link with all the mega series that exist on yes24 :thinking:

3 Likes

Another bogus series slipped through, with children’s books yet again.

1 Like