Korean Beta - Feedback from Korean Users

If you browse by recently added and go back to the earliest books added, you can find a lot of those types of ‘publisher series’.

I don’t think brandon’s planning to split them any time soon - it might make sense to wait until Add publisher search and list filter is implemented.

2 Likes

I just joined a new Korean learning Discord group from Didi’s Korean Podcast . As usual, I’ll recommend Natively, however since the whole Discord group is Korean only, I’m not confident as to whether my explanation of Natively is clear. So if someone could read what I wrote that’d be great. It’s okay if there are still some mistakes, after all it’s a Discord group for learners, but I don’t want my Korean writing skills to prevent people from understanding what Natively is about either.

Natively recommendation in Korean

Natively 웹사이트를 소개하고 추천할 거예요. 외국어를 시작할 때, 읽은 것은 중요하는데 맞은 레벨의 책을 발견하는 걸 굉장히 어려워요. 자주 원어민을 물어볼 때 초급이나 중급에서 한국어로 못 읽거나 다 쉽다고 대답하는데 그 웹사이트를 통해서 책의 레벨을 발견할 수 있어요.
Natively의 사용자가 책을 읽으면 그 책에 비해 어떤 더 어렵고 쉽고 아니면 책 두 관이 비슷해요 라고 질문해요. 그래서 이거로 책마다 레벨이 있어서 무슨 책을 읽은 것이 줄 모르겠으면 Natively에서 예를 들며 TOPIK 4 책이 찾다가 서평을 읽어서 책을 선택할 수 있어요.
Natively에 bookclub도 있으니까 다른 한국어 배우는 사람이랑 같이 읽을 수 있어요. 지금은 '소리를 보는 소년’와 ‘이상한 과자 가게 전천당 1’ Natively에 읽어서 문법 질문이 있거나 뭔가 잘 못 이해하면 bookclub에서 물어보다가 같이 풀어요.

4 Likes

This is awesome, amazing work! :smiling_face:

Take all this advice with a grain of salt, but as someone who’s still not great at Korean, here’s the parts I found confusing:

I didn’t know 원어민, could just use 한국 사람? Also, the part after 때 was confusing to me. Is this what you’re getting at? 초급이나 중급에서 한국어로 읽는게 쉽지 안다고 대답하는데

Also found this one a little hard to parse. Maybe something more like:
Natively의 사용자가 책을 읽으면 다른 책과 그 책의 난이도를 차례차례 비교할수 있어요.

And then maybe an example after that…"예를 들면 저는 '소리를 보는 소년’이 '‘이상한 과자 가게 전천당 1’보다 더 어렵다고 했어요.

Otherwise it’s all comprehensible to me! Very fun :laughing:

Edit: Typo 보도 보다

2 Likes

Thank you!

I was thinking more along the lines of either they tell you that you can’t read anything at the beginner/intermediate level, or they tell you that most books are easy when they’re actually not.
You’re that that’s a little confusing though, so I’ll change it.

That’s such a better way of saying it! I didn’t know the verb for to compare, and I forgot that I could just look it up, so I was trying my best to go around it in my explanation.

맞은 레벨의 책을 발견하는 걸

And I was also wondering, here is that correct or should it be 맞은 레벨에(서?) 책을 발견하는 걸 instead?

Summary

Natively 웹사이트를 소개하고 추천할 거예요. 외국어를 시작할 때, 읽은 것은 중요하는데 맞은 레벨의 책을 발견하는 걸 굉장히 어려워요. 자주 한국 사람을 물어볼 때 초급이나 중급에서 한국어로 읽는게 쉽지 안다고 대답하는데 그 웹사이트를 통해서 책의 레벨을 발견할 수 있어요.
Natively의 사용자가 책을 읽으면 다른 책과 그 책의 난이도를 차례차례 비교할수 있어요. 그래서 이거로 책마다 레벨이 있어서 무슨 책을 읽은 것이 줄 모르겠으면 Natively에서 예를 들며 TOPIK 4 책이 찾다가 서평을 읽어서 책을 선택할 수 있어요. 예를 들면 저는 '소리를 보는 소년’이 '‘이상한 과자 가게 전천당 1’보다 더 어렵다고 했어요.
Natively에 bookclub도 있으니까 다른 한국어 배우는 사람이랑 같이 읽을 수 있어요. 지금은 '소리를 보는 소년’와 ‘이상한 과자 가게 전천당 1’ Natively에 읽어서 문법 질문이 있거나 뭔가 잘 못 이해하면 bookclub에서 물어보다가 같이 풀어요.

2 Likes

I don’t think so, I think the way you have it with 의 is better.

I will say that i’m not sure about those uses for 맞은 & 발견… 적절한 (?) & 찾다 might be better? But these are usage things… the way you use them is very understandable for language learners :laughing:

1 Like

I noticed I’m not able to do any extra grading on items - is this a bug or deliberate? For example, I just finished 구멍놀이 친구 | L23 and I was only able to do the normal 10 gradings.

Related: how long does it usually take for gradings to have an effect on the Natively level? I’m sure I’ve had some before where it was immediate, but others seem to take a while. :thinking: (the above-mentioned book is currently L23, I expected it to drop after grading since that’s way too high - it’s more like L15).

3 Likes

someone mentioned this in the main product thread, but I don’t think they made a bug report :thinking:

If it’s a temporary rating, the rating will change immediately. If it’s already fully graded, the rating will be updated on the hour, every hour.

Yeah, looking at that book’s gradings, it seems like it should be level 15.

I really need to get a ‘help the grading system’ thread going for Korean and start asking for benchmarks. It’d really improve the entire grading system if we recalculated it :thinking:

3 Likes

Ok, I went ahead and created the thread - Come help the grading system! Request for Benchmark Books, Movies & TV Shows

3 Likes

구멍놀이 친구 | L23 might be a good benchmark I think. Since 4 people have read it so far, they’ll be able to come to a consensus as to what the level is around, and then it’ll be compared with lots of other books.

I was also wondering, I’ve been getting a lot of auto-generated gradings for one book in particular, 춘향전 | L22??. At this point, as the only person to have finished the book, I’ve done 52 gradings for it (which seems a bit much considering I’ve read 83 books). Is that normal? It’s also getting compared to all types of books, I just read 천사 안젤라 | L7 that I think was at L5 when I initially read it, and that grading still got auto-generated. To make things clearer, I haven’t done any extra gradings, just the standard ones.
I think that what may be tripping up the algorithm is the fact that so far, I’ve always rated it as easier than everything else, but that’s just because it’s the first B2 book I read. So getting an upper limit for the level is going to take a while, probably until I finish one of the bookclubs, unless someone else reads 춘향전 first.

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. TOPIK2? TOPIK3?

You mean you’ve rated it harder than everything else. Yeah, the grading prompter will just keep asking you until you rate something as equitable / harder than it. As long as something is within +/- 5 levels it’ll prompt you to compare it.

TBH that’s the expected behavior and I think the ideal behavior.

2 Likes

Well I’ve done one now. :grin:

Benchmark Book Club :face_in_clouds:

Shouldn’t this (and the others in the series) already have a set level since it’s graded as B2? :thinking:

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Come help the grading system! Request for Benchmark Books, Movies & TV Shows

The “filter by provider” function isn’t working for me. I’ve added the Google Play and Ridibooks links to a few books myself, so I know they’re listed on the book pages. However, when I try to filter by provider (either Ridibooks or Google Play) in my library, it doesn’t work. The list of books stays the same.

3 Likes

I get the same. The filters seem to work on the browse page (the number of books decreases, anyway, I haven’t checked if they do actually include relevant links), but not in “my books”.

1 Like

3 Likes

@brandon , is there a way to add a book that’s on Ridibooks but not Yes24?

It is possible, just send me a DM with the appropriate information (book type & url)

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure this has been brought up already, but just in case it hasn’t, I just requested a book that’s in a series. Its Yes24 series is bogus, as usual, so I specified what the actual series books were, but the bogus series got added automatically anyways. I feel like it’d make more sense to have a manual verification before series gets populated for Natively Korean, to avoid that kind of thing since Yes24 has a lot of those series.

Plus, for series, the series blurb gets pulled from the added book’s page which generally doesn’t make much sense (and especially not in the case of the bogus series).

2 Likes

A few issues with “free” items:

• Some of the items with the tag don’t have any links to where it can be read for free (I feel like this should be a requirement for the tag to be added)
  • I’ve added a link for 우리 집 의자 | L0, but there’s no option to select that it’s available for free
  • Some series don’t have the tag on the browse page, but they do on the series/item page
3 Likes

I’ll add the links. I was going to do that, but then I couldn’t find a way to label a link as free, and after that I forgot.

1 Like