Krimi book club 🔎 đŸ”Ș

I think I have heard the name, but that’s about it. :rofl: I probably should read more Austrian literature. :see_no_evil:

Since they reference the humour, it’s probably that. (East-)Austrian humour differs quite a bit from German humour (very generalized speaking).

Isn’t Schifahren neue deutsche Rechtschreibung? :thinking: Curious that someone has an issue with that. Or did Germany not have the same spelling reform?

Edit: So, apparently they didn’t. Schi is Austria only
 (though, personally, I am still using Ski)
Edit2: Apparently in Germany you can also use Skilaufen
 which my brain REALLY doesn’t like
 :rofl:

3 Likes

Haha that confirms my suspicion :rofl: But if you like a train-of-thought-y writing style, maybe he’s your author then

:face_with_monocle:

Did Austria have the same reform? :thinking:

Ah ok good, I mean I’m not a pro when it comes to new German spelling (I was out of school already when it hit us) but I hadn’t heard of that
 (still grieving over Tunfisch and Portmonee :nauseated_face:)

I think for me this rather triggers the image of Langlauf rather than alpine
 which is more like running than driving, no? :melting_face:

I think it would be great fun to read a book by an Austrian author as well! I’m currently in Vienna and I’m enjoying those little differences in language immensely - like calling a huge wide staircase a “Stiege” :rofl: :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

WTF? NEVER! They will pry the old spelling out of my dead, cold hands. At least they deleted Ketschup as an option again.
(I had to learn both but could decide which one to use - just wasn’t allowed to switch between them.)

What do Germans say? Treppe? :thinking:

If you want to be disliked, order a Weißweinschorle sĂŒĂŸ. :rofl:

btw. if you want some Japanese books, my profile might interest you. :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

Wait what? I had never heard of that reform, being out of touch with the German language from since before it happened, so I had to look it up. I’m very late to the party, but why on earth?

And who thought that three identical consonants in a row are a good idea?

5 Likes

Well my favourite Austrian author is Hans Platzgumer but he doesn’t really write any krimis as far as I know.

I’ve read Haas in school with my class. You can read the Brenner books out of order. I remembered it being very heavy on the Viennese dialect, but when I read the sample for MĂŒll there was no dialect besides a few austrianisms, so maybe he toned it down or I misremember.

I am very surprised this apparently became popular outside of Austria? Haas, to me, reads very like
 written for an Austrian audience, going so far as to have a German “Piefke” antagonist in one of his books :sweat_smile: I think he also writes rather graphic, but to be honest, I don’t remember that much haha.

Also the films are probably not understandable to anyone who is not already very familiar with Viennese German.

Germans say that all the time about a lot of our writers and I don’t really know what they mean. :thinking:

3 Likes

Title: Todesfrist (Maarten S. Sneijder und Sabine Nemez 1) | L30??
Book type: Novel
Available formats: physical / ebook / audiobook

Summary - German

Ein Serienmörder treibt sein Unwesen – und ein altes Kinderbuch dient ihm als grausame Inspiration. »Wenn Sie innerhalb von 48 Stunden herausfinden, warum ich diese Frau entfĂŒhrt habe, bleibt sie am Leben. Falls nicht – stirbt sie.« Mit dieser Botschaft beginnt das perverse Spiel eines Serienmörders. Er lĂ€sst seine Opfer verhungern, ertrĂ€nkt sie in Tinte oder umhĂŒllt sie bei lebendigem Leib mit Beton. Verzweifelt sucht die MĂŒnchner Kommissarin Sabine Nemez nach einer ErklĂ€rung, einem Motiv. Erst als sie einen niederlĂ€ndischen Kollegen hinzuzieht, entdecken sie zumindest ein Muster: Ein altes Kinderbuch dient dem TĂ€ter als grausame Inspiration – und das birgt noch viele Ideen 
 Der Auftakt zur Erfolgsserie um die Ermittler Sneijder und Nemez.

Summary - English

A serial killer is up to mischief - and an old children’s book serves as his gruesome inspiration. “If you find out why I kidnapped this woman within 48 hours, she will live. If not - she dies.” The perverse game of a serial killer begins with this message. He starves his victims to death, drowns them in ink or encases them alive in concrete. Munich detective Sabine Nemez desperately searches for an explanation, a motive. Only when she calls in a Dutch colleague do they at least discover a pattern: an old children’s book serves as the perpetrator’s gruesome inspiration - and it still holds many ideas 
 The prelude to the successful series about investigators Sneijder and Nemez.

(Translator: DeepL)

Content Warnings

Detailed depiction of violence / drug use / death 
and maybe more.

Reason(s) for nominating:

Recently I wanted a change from the fantasy setting which I am generally reading/listening and decided to listen to some thriller/mystery books next. While looking through this category on audible I came across the books by Andreas Gruber. I first heard another series (the Walter Pulaski-Series) by him, and I loved all of the books!
Then I read that his Sneijder and Nemez-Series is even more popular, so I immediately started with this one as well. Currently I am already nearly finished with the second book in the series. “Todesfrist” ist the first one in the series, though.
I wasn’t sure which one of the series I should nominate, because I liked every book I read by him for now, but I went with this one, just because I felt is was generally more popular and there is even a TV movie for this book (even though I haven’t seen it yet and can’t say whether it is any good).
By the way, Andreas Gruber is also an austrian author. And part of the story plays in Austria, but I think it is written for the german market (germany), because no words were unfamiliar for me as far as I remember :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I never expected someone else to nominate an Austrian author, I never would’ve nominated an Austrian one myself if I knew there would be so many potentially :rofl: I thought I’d give an exotic option :laughing:

4 Likes

From the discussion here it looks like most people joining the bookclub are native speakers. Am I the only one who isn’t ? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’m not a native speaker either.

3 Likes

I’m also not. :raising_hand_woman:t2:

3 Likes

I sometimes feel like I am not a native speaker. :disguised_face:

5 Likes

Might be a more interesting question to see who here doesn’t consider themselves fluent. I was under the impression that @omk3 and @bungakushoujo at least probably weren’t much of learners at this point.

4 Likes

I don’t consider myself a learner, it’s true, but my German is so rusty at this point that I might as well. Reading will definitely help me wake it up again.
I learned German as a child, and part of my school years were almost exclusively in German. So yes, I was fluent back then. But this was a looooong time ago, and I haven’t really used German since. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Riiight? :sweat_smile:

Yes, if it’s a regular one. The word „Stiege“ evokes images of a very narrow wooden one, covered in dust, leading to the attic or something :laughing:
Don’t you say „Treppe“ at all?

Sort of the same as me :sweat_smile:

(For context, it happened in 1993, so it’s just us boomers having a conversation here :laughing:)

Well, they mainly aimed for regularity and consistency, and I think it worked out pretty well in that case. (The other change I really like is about ss vs. ß - this is now fully regular and much easier than before imho)

Ooohhh, thanks for the offer! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: It didn’t work out this time (I was in Vienna for work and I didn’t have the headspace to meet people except one dear friend) :sweat_smile: but I‘m sure I‘ll be back sooner or later :crossed_fingers:

Wowww! :exploding_head: I need to ask you about that at some point in time!

5 Likes

they are sort of interchangeable
 Treppe evokes images of wood
 Stiege evokes images of stone
 but that could be potentially just me
 I would not call steps to a second floor within a family home “Stiege” that’s a Treppe. :thinking:
Edit: " In SĂŒddeutschland und Österreich wird im Allgemeinen der Ausdruck „Stiege “ fĂŒr die Treppe verwendet. Als Treppe wird zumeist nur ein schmaler Holzaufstieg, aber auch eine Wendeltreppe bezeichnet."

4 Likes

I could still be learning
I just don’t feel like it :rofl: passt schon :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

I guess if that’s the question, I would also consider myself “fluent but rusty” :sweat_smile: I had next to no use for German since childhood, but I kept reading now and then so I still understand with little issue. Speaking however
 :no_mouth:
Anyway, reading more regularly will reactivate my vocab a bit hopefully?

7 Likes

Spoken like a true Austrian. :rofl:

4 Likes

No, that would be basst scho! :joy:

4 Likes

I guess the next step could be to share your thoughts in German about each week’s reading :thinking:

3 Likes