ライトノベル読書会 📚 Light Novel Book Club | Next book Sep 30

Home thread for NHK is up, everyone! Please let me know if you have a copy of the book and can help with scheduling -

2 Likes

Hi guys; I wanted to take a vote and check and see how we feel about the current book elimination policy, that of removing the five books with the lowest votes per voting poll. We’re a few months shy of having had the policy for a year, and it’s probably the the least lenient policy among all of Natively’s current book clubs.

How do you feel about our current nomination elimination policy?
  • I still like it and think no changes should be made
  • I think it’s too harsh and should be scaled back
  • I think it’s not harsh enough
0 voters
1 Like

It’s a good policy in general, tho I think with only 11 nominations currently, removing the lowest 2-3 this round would be more sensible. (There’s like 4 things tied for 3rd lowest tho… So lowest 2 would make that easier to figure out)

It’s probly fine either way tho… There’s more than enough LNs for people to nominate.

2 Likes

I think that’s what I did last time, too. Will definitely do the same thing again for the next voting round, I think.

3 Likes

We’re also a few weeks away from finishing our current read, so please be sure to get in any remaining nominations! We currently have 9 slots open!

Our final week for NHKにようこそ! is June 10. The poll for the next book will open on June 15 if I can remember and close on June 24, and we will likely start reading that book on July 8th to allow any physical copies that need ordering time to arrive.

Please vote on your thoughts on our current nomination cutting policy, and we’ll implement the results of that after our next vote.

7 Likes

Just a reminder and head’s up to everyone that the poll for our next pick will open this Saturday, June 15! Get in any final nominations!

4 Likes

Voting begins tomorrow as long as I don’t forget; last call for nominations.

2 Likes

Book:

Is there an ebook available?: yes
Is there an audiobook available?: yes
Is there an all-furigana version available?: no
(Optional) Is this book available in another Natively language?: don’t know

Summary - Japanese

何という事もない人生を送っていた三上悟は、通り魔に刺され37年の人生に幕を閉じた…はずだった。
ふと気がつくと、目も見えなければ、耳も聞こえない…。
そんな状況の中、自分があの“スライム”に転生してしまった事に気づく。
最弱と名高いモンスターである事に不満を感じつつも、お気楽スライムライフを満喫する三上悟だったが、
天災級のモンスター“暴風竜ヴェルドラ”と出会ったことで運命は大きく動き出す―。

ヴェルドラに“リムル”と名付けてもらい、スライムとして新たな異世界生活をスタートさせた矢先、
ゴブリンと牙狼族との争いに巻き込まれ、いつしかモンスターたちの主として君臨することに…。

相手の能力を奪う『捕食者』と世界の理を知る『大賢者』、
二つのユニークスキルを武器に最強のスライム伝説が今始まる!

Summary - English

Satoru Mikami, who had lived an uneventful life, was stabbed by a random attacker and his 37-year life came to an end… or so it should have.

When he suddenly realized, he couldn’t see or hear… In that situation, he realized that he had been reincarnated as a “slime”.

Although he felt dissatisfied with being a monster renowned for being the weakest, Satoru Mikami was enjoying his carefree slime life. However, his fate took a major turn when he encountered the catastrophic monster “Storm Dragon Veldora”.

Named “Rimuru” by Veldora, he started a new life in another world as a slime. Soon after, he got caught up in a conflict between goblins and the fang wolf tribe, and before he knew it, he became the ruler of the monsters…

With the unique skills “Predator”, which allows him to absorb others’ abilities, and “Great Sage”, which allows him to understand the world’s logic, the legend of the strongest slime begins now!

5 Likes

Book:

Is there an audiobook available?: no

Summary - Japanese

2013年の未来都市《NO.6》。人類の理想を実現した街で、2歳の時から最高ランクのエリートとして育てられた紫苑は、12歳の誕生日の夜、「ネズミ」と名乗る少年に出会ってから運命が急転回。どうしてあの夜、ぼくは窓を開けてしまったんだろう? 飢えることも、嘆くことも、戦いも知らずに済んだのに……。「わたしはNO.6という物語の中で、生きる希望とやらを掴んでいけるのだろうか」――あさのあつこ

Summary - English

The futuristic city of “NO. 6” in the year 2013. In this city that has realized humanity’s ideal, Shion, who has been raised as a top-ranking elite since he was two years old, has his fate take a sudden turn after meeting a boy who calls himself “Nezumi” on the night of his 12th birthday.

Why did I open the window that night? I could have lived without knowing hunger, sorrow, or conflict…

“Will I be able to grasp something like hope within the story of NO. 6?”

— Atsuko Asano

Content warnings if known

it’s set in a dystopian world and afaik it’s definitely adult in themes

5 Likes

Book:

Is there an all-furigana version available?: yes [but seems to be only physical]

Summary - Japanese

そうだ、本気になれよ。関係ないこと全部すてて、おれの球だけを見ろよ。

中学入学を目前に控えた春休み、父の転勤で岡山の県境の街に引っ越してきた巧。ピッチャーとしての自分の才能を信じ、ストイックなまでにセルフトレーニングに励む巧の前に同級生の豪が現れ、バッテリーを組むが…。

Summary - English

During the spring break just before entering junior high school, Takumi moves to a town on the Okayama prefectural border due to his father’s job transfer. Believing in his talent as a pitcher, Takumi dedicates himself to self-training with a stoic intensity. Then, his classmate Gou appears and they form a battery (pitcher-catcher duo), but…

Feel free to ignore any and all nominations. Just thought I’d bring a bit of fresh blood to the mix. :smiling_face: (I also have more, if need be. :sweat_smile:)

4 Likes

No, these are great! We’ve had very few fresh nomination lately anyway, so these are more than welcome. I’d give it it a bit, and if no one else posts noms then you’re more than welcome to post however many more you want, given we’re so close to the deadline for this round of voting.

3 Likes

I’ll just keep the rest for next time, I think… we have a good variety right now and too much choice makes it harder (for me to decide… :melting_face:)

2 Likes

Anyone know if this series is complete at 23 volumes?

I don’t see any posts referencing the end, and they see to come out once a year around October/November (based on the last 3)… so if I had to guess, it’s probly still ongoing.

2 Likes

Book:

(Optional) Is this book available in another Natively language?: no

Summary - Japanese

京都の寺町三条商店街に、ポツリとたたずむ骨董品店『蔵』。女子高生の真城葵は、ひょんなことから、そこの店主の息子の家頭清貴と知り合い、アルバイトを始めることになる。清貴は物腰や柔らかいが恐ろしく感が鋭く、『寺町のホームズ』と呼ばれていた。葵は清貴とともに、様々な客から持ち込まれる奇妙な依頼を受けるが――エブリスタ発、人気No.1キャラミス!

Summary - English

Half a year after moving to Kyoto, high school girl Aoi Mashiro brings her late grandfather’s old scrolls to Kura, an antique store nestled in Kyoto’s Teramachi-Sanjo shopping arcade, for an appraisal. One thing leads to another, and she winds up working there part-time. The manager’s son, Kiyotaka Yagashira—nicknamed the “Holmes of Kyoto”—is uncannily perceptive, and together, they solve strange cases relating to the antiques brought to them by clients.

Content warnings if known

None that I know of

Why are you nominating this book: The setting sounds interesting and there is an audiobook available.

10 Likes

Having read the early part of this book, I can tell that it beautifully captures the essence of Kyoto. The author’s detailed and affectionate portrayal of the city’s landmarks, culture, and atmosphere is something only someone who has lived in and loved Kyoto could achieve. I’ve visited Kyoto, and reading her work makes me want to visit the city again!

6 Likes

View the Nominations List here or here; be sure to scroll to the right; there’s a lot of information there! You’ve got 5 votes, so vote wisely!

This poll should close automatically on June 24, 17:00 UTC.

5 Likes

You should probly link to the poll in the OP btw

3 Likes

I need more votes. :sob: so hard… :melting_face:

7 Likes

I am surprised how popular 京都寺町三条のホームズ is. I would have nominated that next time around but MintTea beat me to it and it seems to be winning. :eyes: Clearly, MintTea knows what the people want. :rofl:

5 Likes