ライトノベル読書会 📚 Light Novel Book Club | Next Book Apr 1

Book:

Is there an ebook available?: yes
Is there an audiobook available?: no
Is there an all-furigana version available?: no

Summary - Japanese

「あなたには、どうしても殺したい人がいます。どうやって殺しますか?」 福岡は一見平和な町だが、裏では犯罪が蔓延っている。今や殺し屋業の激戦区で、殺し屋専門の殺し屋がいるという都市伝説まであった。 福岡市長のお抱え殺し屋、崖っぷちの新人社員、博多を愛する私立探偵、天才ハッカーの情報屋、美しすぎる復讐屋、闇組織に囚われた殺し屋。そんなアクの強い彼らが巻き込まれ、縺れ合い紡がれていく市長選。その背後に潜む政治的な対立と黒い陰謀が蠢く事件の真相とは──。 そして悪行が過ぎた時、『殺し屋殺し』は現れる──。

Summary - English

In Fukuoka, crime reaches new heights in the seedy underworld. In the Hakata ward of the city, there are various individuals with special talent who are professional killers, detectives, informants, and professional revenge seekers. Among those, a so-called “killer of professional killers” is becoming more than just an urban legend. [source: Anilist]

Why are you nominating this book: Bought the 1st volume on a recent trip to Japan and want to know if I want to continue with the series. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Are they actual sequels, or just “this is set in the same universe”? Anilist says that this first volume is complete, which makes me think the books are standalones.

Are you talking about the 青春ブタ野郎はバニーガール先輩の夢を見ない | L30 series? It’s just one series but the author chose to not number the books and instead go with a different title every time. He mentioned regretting it in the comments at the end of every volumes I read.
That being said, volume 1 works well as a standalone (also I really didn’t like volumes 2, 4, and gave up on volume 5)

3 Likes

AniList made a change a few years ago where they started making LN sequels their own entries when they aren’t in parts. This makes sense for things like 本好き, which has five entries, one for each part. But for series like this that don’t have multi-part entries it’s a bit weird if you ask me.

You gave volume 2 a 3/5, so it couldn’t have been that bad!

I get what you mean though. I gave the anime a 7.5/10, which is slightly below my average rating, because I didn’t enjoy the later parts as much. It’s possible that’s because those volumes are actually worse, though squeezing 5 LN volumes into a 13 episode anime adaption probably didn’t help either.

3 Likes

I did like the concept used in that volume but the fan service was waaaayyy too much. I gave it the benefit of the doubt at the time, but I would probably go with 2/5 these days… The attitude of the main character and the fan service are literally why I gave up on the series too.

1 Like

Seeing as Oregairu got nominated already, I’ll just post my other one.

Book: https://learnnatively.com/book/7ade364e54/
Is there an ebook available?: Amazon JP
Is there an audiobook available?: Amazon JP

Summary - Japanese

5年片想いした相手にバッサリ振られたサラリーマンの吉田。ヤケ酒の帰り道、路上に蹲る女子高生を見つけて――「ヤらせてあげるから泊めて」「そういうことを冗談でも言うんじゃねえ」「じゃあ、タダで泊めて」なし崩し的に始まった、少女・沙優との同居生活。『おはよう』『味噌汁美味しい?』『遅ぉいぃぃぃぃぃ』『元気出た?』『一緒に寝よ』『……早く帰って来て』家出JKと26歳サラリーマン。微妙な距離の二人が紡ぐ、日常ラブコメディ。【沙優と吉田の朝を描く、限定書き下ろしショートストーリーを収録した電子限定版】

Summary - English

Office worker Yoshida has been crushing on his coworker, Airi Gotou, for five years. Despite finally scoring a date with her, his confession is promptly rejected. Drunk and disappointed, he stumbles home, only to find a high school girl sitting on the side of the road. The girl, needing a place to stay the night, attempts to seduce Yoshida. Despite rejecting her advances, he nevertheless invites her into his apartment.

The next morning, the girl, introducing herself as Sayu Ogiwara, reveals that she has run away from Hokkaido all the way to Tokyo. During her six-month spree, she continually traded sexual favors for a roof over her head. Yoshida, however, remains unswayed by her seduction. Instead, he has her do a different kind of work—one that entails washing dishes and doing laundry. And so, a touching relationship between a heartbroken adult and a runaway high school girl begins.

Content warnings if known

None that I know of.

Why are you nominating this book: I’ve read a few volumes of this a while back and would like to read it again to reinforce the new words I learned. It’s a very forgiving read and good practice for more advanced material in other novels. Also, it’s just chill and a fun read.

5 Likes

I just noticed a small mistake in the table. コップクラフト has an audiobook, but the list says N

1 Like

I’ll fix it; thanks!

1 Like

Two more days until nominations close, everyone! We have eight more slots open!

There were slots to begin with? :sweat_smile:

Up to 20! I don’t think I ever stated it specifically (other than a vague goal of 15-20 nominations), but it wasn’t really a concern, tbh. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

Discourse polls only allow 20 options, so that’s why.

5 Likes

Alrighty, it’s poll time! I’m allowing up to four choices for no reason but arbitrary ones; if the club continues and we get more nominations I can easily bump it up to five. Nomination List is here; as mentioned in the top post (I might need to make it more visible…), books with no votes will get cut :hocho: until we do another couple rounds of voting. The poll will automatically close next week June 16th, 00:00 UTC.

Anywho, the contenders:

Which should be our first book?
  • 本好きの下剋上~司書になるためには手段を選んでいられません~第一部
  • やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。
  • 異世界のんびり農家
  • この素晴らしい世界に祝福を!
  • ソードアート・オンライン プログレッシブ
  • コップクラフト
  • 幻獣調査員
  • 旅行鞄をしまえる日
  • 青春ブタ野郎はバニーガール先輩の夢を見ない
  • 妖怪アパートの幽雅な日常
  • 博多豚骨ラーメンズ
  • ひげを剃る。そして女子高生を拾う。

0 voters

Since this is our first book, let’s set another poll for starting date:

When do you want to start our first book?
  • June 26
  • July 3
  • July 10

0 voters

2 Likes

Has this been shouted out on the WK forums btw (someone may have already and I just missed it)? I suspect there’s people in the BBC, IBC, and ABC who would be interested in this given the difficulty range here is fairly wide.

1 Like

Ah, no, not too my knowledge. What would be the best place(s) there to advertise? The individual clubs?

Idk if the BBC would be interested, would they? I haven’t taken part in their book selection before, granted, but I would’ve thought that IBC would be the earliest users would want to tackle LNs.

1 Like

For those voting, remember to check samples!

All of them are available in AmazonJP as far as I know, but might be also available on other ebook marketplaces.

2 Likes

Tbh I’m not sure how beginner the beginner book club is, I kind of assumed they were somewhere in the 20s as there is also a ABBC (absolute beginner book club). But yeah - in the past I’ve done quick announcements in the IBC and the ABC when the Mystery Book Club is voting and no one has minded so far as I know and we’ve had quite a few people join this way.

3 Likes

The 多読 thread is a good place too!

5 Likes

Alrighty, club advertised~ It would be nice to pull in a couple of new faces.

4 Likes

After looking into the top voted ones, while ひげを剃る。そして女子高生を拾う is finished, the “Another Stories” are ongoing, with Vol. 9 Scheduled for May 2024.

The last two volumes seem to involve the main character, and are considered as a sort of a continuation to vol. 5.

Just though I’d share.

2 Likes