Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

so, i’m having a hard time accessing those links… I enabled csv upload here on the forum, mind giving that a go?

1 Like

Missing activity I noticed for 커피프린스:

Dashboard

Series page

After setting the series to watching, I couldn’t update on the dashboard (clicking + did nothing), so I had to use the pop-up to set episode 1 as watched. After watching episode 2, the + did work, but the activity didn’t appear on the series page.

When viewing a user’s profile, it would be nice if we could use the flags next to the username to view their books/videos in different languages without your own language setting being changed.

eta: oops, should have posted in korean thread :melting_face:

3 Likes

Weird, they download fine for me. Here they are:
pm215-for-natively.csv (11.6 KB)
pm215-for-natively-with-header.csv (11.6 KB)

1 Like

Firefox e.g. blocks download because of some alleged security risk.

2 Likes

Strange – works for me on Firefox on Linux and Android. Is it just that file or the whole host it dislikes?

Edit: ah, managed to trigger it. It’s just complaining because I used the http:// URL by mistake instead of the https:// one. I’ve edited the original post now to use https.

2 Likes

A small note - I fixed the past polling data from that bug a few weeks ago… as you can see the the original problem poll has been fixed. I also checked more recent polls and they seem to be unaffected… although from the code I was supplied from discourse, it seemed pretty impossible that it would remove data… it could only add extra data (possibly).

Anyway, it’s fixed now :slight_smile:

5 Likes

All I did was open the Basic Info edit view and set the book to finished (with the current date set), and I got this. :sweat_smile:

Also, this is different from what I normally do. Normally I go to the book page itself and just set it to “finished”, which I believe doesn’t create the “read pages …” activity. I would certainly prefer not to generate that activity since I don’t track pages. Does that mean I just have to stick with the other approach?

1 Like

Yeah it shouldn’t do that… that’s just a bug.

In other news - posted on r/Korean about the Korean portion. So to any new users who pop by, welcome! :slight_smile:

Edit: I am in the process of writing a blog post too, but I realized I wanted to catch the East Coast before they went to bed

6 Likes

I synced a series so it loads the next upcoming season, it was added but it inherited the Finished label which gives the wrong idea for something that didn’t even start airing:

1 Like

yeah… I need to improve that handling :sweat_smile:

I think the behavior should be:

• If I see upcoming episodes that haven’t aired yet => ongoing
  • If I see no episodes or all the episodes are ‘unaired’ episodes => not started
  • If all the episodes are finished:
    • By default, we wait a month to autoclose the season
    • Surface a toggle that allows users to set the status

Does that makes sense?

2 Likes

Just wanted to post two minor milestones I recently passed:

I’m not usually one for streaks, but I actually managed to read every day this past June in Japanese~ I’ve already broken it, haha, but I’m glad to say I’ve done it at least once.

And the big one. :partying_face: I’ve crossed 500 submitted books to Natively. :tada: I don’t think this counts books in a series, just the first one; correct me if I’m wrong @brandon. Otherwise I might be closer to 1000, haha.

13 Likes

Um, yeah. With series you’re at 1854, I just calculated it… so a bit more :laughing:

However, I think only counting the actual requests makes sense as that’s the work you’re putting in. Super impressive @eefara ! I know you said you’re taking it a little slower these days, but you deserve a little break. You’ve done amazing work here! :smiling_face:

8 Likes

:eyes: Huh. Didn’t realize I was that far over. So close to 2000

Agreed, haha. And thank you! I’m glad to have contributed some good books to Natively; I’m really glad to have found the site, and I’d love to see it grow into a de facto resource. Hopefully while I’m taking things slow I can go bit by bit and contribute some reviews/gradings for some of the series I’ve contributed.

8 Likes

If I search on Natively for 御宿かわせみ it brings up just one result, for 御宿かわせみ 6 狐の嫁入り | L35?? (which is book 6 in the series). But if you click through you can find the series link 御宿かわせみ (series) | L35?? which shows that Natively does have all the books in the series. is it intentional that they don’t show up in the search? I assumed this meant they were missing from the system…

Side note, something odd seems to have happened with the series – book 30 is missing and 31-34 have ended up with their numbering off-by-one as a result.

1 Like

Yeah, sounds about right.

1 Like

Also, 100+ books read! That’s big too!

I’ve seen similar stuff happen before. The problem is that Natively just pulls the data from the Amazon list. If the Amazon list is incorrect, it ends up wrong here too. You can use the feedback form at the bottom of the page to get it manually fixed (by @brandon, I assume).

Edit: I just checked the list on Amazon and, as expected:

That being said, Amazon does number them correctly.

4 Likes

@brandon So scratch that, I’m now getting “time read” (watched) kind of activity just from marking a show completed (from watching) on the season page. It’s only one activity this time, but it’s still confusing and misleading. I most certainly did not watch 13 episodes all today, but since I don’t track episodes as I’m going (just like I don’t track pages in a book as I’m going) I get weird activity. Is this a bug? I feel it should only show episode/time information if I explicitly mark episodes watched, not from the auto-episode watched stuff that happens when you complete a show. Am I wrong?

1 Like

I don’t know if that’s the intended behavior of the code, but I agree that’s what it should be :slight_smile:

I do think though that if you use the ‘update progress’ dialogue, I’ll probably generate that activity, but for every other update (‘basic info’, simple toggle), I agree I should just say ‘finished’.

1 Like

That makes sense! Do you want a formal write up for this one?

1 Like

That’d be lovely, thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like