Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

I do not, thank you very much. ^o^ Actually had to turn on the Chrome page translate to navigate semi-well on yes24. :rofl:

Noted on the product requests! I’ll keep them in the back of my mind~

Ah, and this probably isn’t a bug per se, but I did want to mention it. If I’m on a JP book page and try to switch to Korean, it just stays on the JP book page and doesn’t flip the flag to Korean. I feel like there should be some sort of interaction with Natively at that point; either switching to Korean kicks you to the Korean book search page, or a little pop-up or something tells you you need to go to XX page to switch to Korean mode. I’m not sure if I like that second suggestion, honestly; it makes more sense to me to do the first. That’s what my brain expects, anyway.

Perhaps in the future, once book editions are out, different language editions could be linked, and swapping languages on that book’s page redirects you to the other language’s version. If there is no other version, you’re kicked to that language’s book search page your dashboard in the new language.

5 Likes

Is there a bulk data import option somewhere? I currently keep my list of read books on booklog.jp, which has an “export as CSV”, so if there’s an import option here I could potentially script up a format conversion and have my books I’ve read on Natively too. But for 275 books I don’t really want to add them all by hand :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not to my knowledge, no. I actually don’t think we have a product request for it, either. Nothing comes to mind, at least.

2 Likes

There was some discussion about that, but I don’t think it materialized yet?

Edit: can’t find it, but I remember talking about something similar, and @brandon mentioned using csv on the back-end?

Edit2: ah, found it! (well, that’s the reply to my question about adding new books through csv files, but that would be also adding books to one’s library in that specific use case)

2 Likes

There isn’t yet no. I have built an import process for goodreads & bookmeter accounts, but to add all the new books is quite labor intensive.

I could certainly leverage my goodreads import and add all the books that exist on Natively already for you if you’d like - all i’d need is a csv with:

• ISBN
  • ISBN13
  • Exclusive Shelf [‘currently-reading’, ‘to-read’, ‘read’] (this is the status field)
  • Date Read [YYYY/MM/DD]
  • My Rating [int, out of 5]
  • My Review [text]
3 Likes

I will say too that by the end of the year this may all be easier… but no promises. As a part of Korean, I’m moving more towards auto import & book creation, similar to movies. The major complication with that is handling editions well, which hopefully we can do by the end of the year. We’ll see :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks, I will take you up on that at some point. Where would you like the csv sent to?

Some format questions:

• do you need both isbn and isbn13, or is it just “whichever of the two is available, other field can be blank”?
  • what should the rating field be for “no rating given”?
2 Likes

either / or but I need at least one. Blank for the other one

blank. However, I need a rating for every written review… so if you have a written review with no rating you need to make something up :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sorry, I know I’ve seen a button/link for this before, but I can’t find how to get it to appear.

How does Natively treat pages read if you only enter the books and not your activity? Also how do you enter pages in the past?

1 Like

Yeah, I need to add a button which quick links you to the data manager.

Basically you need to pop your ‘additional options’ and either edit your date started / date finished / current page there or, if you’d like to add / edit past reading sessions, toggle ‘basic info’ tab to ‘data manager’.

Open ‘additional options’

‘Basic Info’ tab

‘Data manager’ tab

3 Likes

Editing because I can’t read. Thanks! I guess it’s the reading sessions?

edit 2: yep, the reading sessions. I’m a little surprised that section isn’t accessible via “additional options”

1 Like

@brandon : you can find the csv in the format you asked for here. Or if you prefer a csv where line 1 is a header line defining the field names and the actual data starts on line 2 I made that too. Hopefully I didn’t mess up the formatting :slight_smile: Thanks!

(This was a fun opportunity to look at ways of mangling csv files on the command line – I ended up using Miller which lets you do “like awk, but on csv”., among other things.)

3 Likes

so, i’m having a hard time accessing those links… I enabled csv upload here on the forum, mind giving that a go?

1 Like

Missing activity I noticed for 커피프린스:

Dashboard

Series page

After setting the series to watching, I couldn’t update on the dashboard (clicking + did nothing), so I had to use the pop-up to set episode 1 as watched. After watching episode 2, the + did work, but the activity didn’t appear on the series page.

When viewing a user’s profile, it would be nice if we could use the flags next to the username to view their books/videos in different languages without your own language setting being changed.

eta: oops, should have posted in korean thread :melting_face:

3 Likes

Weird, they download fine for me. Here they are:
pm215-for-natively.csv (11.6 KB)
pm215-for-natively-with-header.csv (11.6 KB)

1 Like

Firefox e.g. blocks download because of some alleged security risk.

2 Likes

Strange – works for me on Firefox on Linux and Android. Is it just that file or the whole host it dislikes?

Edit: ah, managed to trigger it. It’s just complaining because I used the http:// URL by mistake instead of the https:// one. I’ve edited the original post now to use https.

2 Likes

A small note - I fixed the past polling data from that bug a few weeks ago… as you can see the the original problem poll has been fixed. I also checked more recent polls and they seem to be unaffected… although from the code I was supplied from discourse, it seemed pretty impossible that it would remove data… it could only add extra data (possibly).

Anyway, it’s fixed now :slight_smile:

5 Likes

All I did was open the Basic Info edit view and set the book to finished (with the current date set), and I got this. :sweat_smile:

Also, this is different from what I normally do. Normally I go to the book page itself and just set it to “finished”, which I believe doesn’t create the “read pages …” activity. I would certainly prefer not to generate that activity since I don’t track pages. Does that mean I just have to stick with the other approach?

1 Like

Yeah it shouldn’t do that… that’s just a bug.

In other news - posted on r/Korean about the Korean portion. So to any new users who pop by, welcome! :slight_smile:

Edit: I am in the process of writing a blog post too, but I realized I wanted to catch the East Coast before they went to bed

6 Likes