Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

I synced a series so it loads the next upcoming season, it was added but it inherited the Finished label which gives the wrong idea for something that didn’t even start airing:

1 Like

yeah… I need to improve that handling :sweat_smile:

I think the behavior should be:

• If I see upcoming episodes that haven’t aired yet => ongoing
  • If I see no episodes or all the episodes are ‘unaired’ episodes => not started
  • If all the episodes are finished:
    • By default, we wait a month to autoclose the season
    • Surface a toggle that allows users to set the status

Does that makes sense?

2 Likes

Just wanted to post two minor milestones I recently passed:

I’m not usually one for streaks, but I actually managed to read every day this past June in Japanese~ I’ve already broken it, haha, but I’m glad to say I’ve done it at least once.

And the big one. :partying_face: I’ve crossed 500 submitted books to Natively. :tada: I don’t think this counts books in a series, just the first one; correct me if I’m wrong @brandon. Otherwise I might be closer to 1000, haha.

13 Likes

Um, yeah. With series you’re at 1854, I just calculated it… so a bit more :laughing:

However, I think only counting the actual requests makes sense as that’s the work you’re putting in. Super impressive @eefara ! I know you said you’re taking it a little slower these days, but you deserve a little break. You’ve done amazing work here! :smiling_face:

8 Likes

:eyes: Huh. Didn’t realize I was that far over. So close to 2000

Agreed, haha. And thank you! I’m glad to have contributed some good books to Natively; I’m really glad to have found the site, and I’d love to see it grow into a de facto resource. Hopefully while I’m taking things slow I can go bit by bit and contribute some reviews/gradings for some of the series I’ve contributed.

8 Likes

If I search on Natively for 御宿かわせみ it brings up just one result, for 御宿かわせみ 6 狐の嫁入り | L35?? (which is book 6 in the series). But if you click through you can find the series link 御宿かわせみ (series) | L35?? which shows that Natively does have all the books in the series. is it intentional that they don’t show up in the search? I assumed this meant they were missing from the system…

Side note, something odd seems to have happened with the series – book 30 is missing and 31-34 have ended up with their numbering off-by-one as a result.

1 Like

Yeah, sounds about right.

1 Like

Also, 100+ books read! That’s big too!

I’ve seen similar stuff happen before. The problem is that Natively just pulls the data from the Amazon list. If the Amazon list is incorrect, it ends up wrong here too. You can use the feedback form at the bottom of the page to get it manually fixed (by @brandon, I assume).

Edit: I just checked the list on Amazon and, as expected:

That being said, Amazon does number them correctly.

4 Likes

@brandon So scratch that, I’m now getting “time read” (watched) kind of activity just from marking a show completed (from watching) on the season page. It’s only one activity this time, but it’s still confusing and misleading. I most certainly did not watch 13 episodes all today, but since I don’t track episodes as I’m going (just like I don’t track pages in a book as I’m going) I get weird activity. Is this a bug? I feel it should only show episode/time information if I explicitly mark episodes watched, not from the auto-episode watched stuff that happens when you complete a show. Am I wrong?

1 Like

I don’t know if that’s the intended behavior of the code, but I agree that’s what it should be :slight_smile:

I do think though that if you use the ‘update progress’ dialogue, I’ll probably generate that activity, but for every other update (‘basic info’, simple toggle), I agree I should just say ‘finished’.

1 Like

That makes sense! Do you want a formal write up for this one?

1 Like

That’d be lovely, thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Done!

2 Likes

I must say, I’m a bit surprised this ticket only has 3 votes :sweat_smile:

I was planning to do this as a quick win and to help outreach with Korean. I already had to build out the infrastructure for checking if a site had a book or not for Korean, so would be easy.

Would it not impact how you use Natively much?

2 Likes

I think most people probably buy from just one or two book providers. In my case, I only buy ebooks from Amazon, which is obviously already linked to. And I buy physical books from CD Japan, but I tend to still keep my wish list on Amazon anyway. So it wouldn’t impact how I personally use Natively. But if it’s easy maybe it’s still worth it?

2 Likes

I just gave it a 4th :slight_smile:

I’ve never come across it before. Maybe similar for others.

Relatedly, it would be convenient to auto-populate Audible links. Not sure if it strictly fits with the original request, but it seems close with

4 Likes

Right, that would be in the mix too :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I don’t think that the more popular audiobook.jp has public facing pages I can see, so they probably aren’t an option.

3 Likes

No? I came across a book that was not available on the ebook platform I use (booklive) only once, and that was before using Natively, so I never even thought about it.

Edit: I can’t read
Ah, that’s too bad. That is something I would care about.

Edit: Well, at least you can use the search link. I don’t know if they have a limit on requests per second?

E.g. https://www.audible.co.jp/search?keywords=コップクラフト
and then parse the page?

2 Likes

that’s audible, not audiobook.jp? Audible I already have access to via the amazon api.

3 Likes

Oops, I can’t read. Somehow my brain went for audible.
So if you implement the functionality, I will be able to search for stuff that are on audible?

Edit: audiobook.jp has a search too, though.
https://audiobook.jp/search?q=パノラマ島奇譚

It seems to return stuff even when not related, though :confused:

3 Likes