Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

Yep! I actually pull the audible link from the amazon product page (ex: コップクラフト).

However, it looks like we only have 1060 books with audible in our database right now… with 521 being unique series. So not that many. I think audiobook.jp has a ton more. Still, easy to add as it’s already in our db! :slight_smile:

Edit: Wait, i did not find that audiobook.jp search page, whoa. That may be doable then!

3 Likes

Sadly I think Audible’s library is larger, although a great deal is region locked

4 Likes

That’s the links from the Natively book page to the Amazon/whatever book page, right? I buy physical books, so I end up keeping a wishlist of books separately and then buying them from Amazon/cdjapan/Kinokuniya in bulk. I guess in theory if I kept my wishlist on Natively it might be convenient, but at the moment it’s too common that Natively doesn’t have the book listed for me to want to do that.

2 Likes

Yes, I found that last night. I put in an “add volumes” request for the missing book (which is on Amazon, just not in the series data there).

I wonder what the right thing to do is if Amazon’s series data has a gap in the numbering like it does here…

I think that only triggers an automatic check of the list, so I don’t think it would work here :thinking:

I don’t know if there’s a way to fix the amazon list, but otherwise, to fix it on the natively side, just use the feedback button on the series page (just below the add volumes one)

3 Likes

The ‘add volumes’ form has a free-text Notes box, so if it’s purely automatic and nobody reads the Notes field that would be rather misleading UI…

3 Likes

We do read them, don’t worry. There’s a part time contractor, Tarek, who looks through all the requests and does our mostly automated process of uploading. By year’s end I hope to have this ironed out so it’s completely automated :slight_smile:

Yeah, this comment along with the others make sense. Natively isn’t really a great book discovery platform yet for people with a lot of books and aren’t hamstrung by text difficulty. Maybe someday we’ll get there… but it will be challenging as our user base will always be a bit smaller and our database most likely will be too.

Right now the discovery is really only good who’s primary issue is with text difficulty and aren’t reading a ton of books yet. At least, I think that’s the case.

We could become a good discovery platform for big readers too, but we’ll have to leverage our potential future advantages:

• book source agnostic
  • better tagging
  • better potential recommender algorithm / recommendation interface

It’s possible as a lot of these giants are pretty antiquated, but we’ll see!

4 Likes

It would be useful for when the time comes to drop Amazon.

As long as I can keep buying without extreme workarounds and I can load the books on my read application of choice, I’ll probably keep with AmazonJP. But there might be a time where it comes useful as I have to browse somewhere else.

I think really having tags well in place before diving into discovery will help a lot.

3 Likes

PRODUCT UPDATE

Alright - i’ve written a new blog article! I don’t think it will surprise anyone here, but wanted to link :slight_smile:

The only new thing of note is that there is a new account preference for hiding the top language toggle heh.

Agreed. I keep battling whether I should do that or favorites next, after book provider search. Tagging will just be so awesome :laughing: We’ll see. However, I’m going to fix some bugs tomorrow, like the start date and potentially look at a new cookie manager.

As a separate issue, an infrastructure initiative will also be upcoming… i’ve decided to start a slow migration to Next.js. Won’t really impact any of you, except perhaps be a bit speedier eventually, but something also that’s in the works. I’ve played around with it quite a bit and I’ve become convinced it’ll help me develop way faster and get better performance in google. And, frankly, while i’m not a trendy developer, it truly seems everyone is moving that direction.

7 Likes

Assuming you don’t implement just a type of tag, favourites could be a user-level tag.

2 Likes

You just keep offering new ways for me to hack in favorites, don’t you :joy:

I’m pretty set on just making a full fledged favorites feature like we described in the other ticket, it’s not that large. Content tags will have a ton of special functionality eventually, like voting and what not. Not that related unfortunately.

3 Likes

I’m just trying to thin the number of tickets from the outside :rofl:

In any case I think tag-types are worth considering/discussing.

1 Like

I notice that when I do a search the page briefly displays “Error: issues with our servers” in red, before deleting it and replacing it with the search results. Is that intentional? The flash of red text is a little distracting…

1 Like

The hrs required logic is still there and also maybe put a warning that if you click close on the button down the data not saved will be lost? I clicked it out of intuition because in my brain I don’t expect to see the buttons on top of the form I’m submitting.

1 Like

I’ve always thought it to be a big plus not having to block cookies on each log-in since some time ago.

1 Like

Thank you! Individually my numbers need some work, but we’ll get there. :muscle:

8 Likes

book search will show few results for the next 30 minutes, then will repopulate fully over the next few hours.

3 Likes

I think what i’m doing now has fixed this, but let me know :slight_smile:

Yeah, I think there will definitely be different types of tags (genre tags, content tags, dialect tags, pacing (?) tags… etc) but I guess I didn’t think user tags would be one of them. We’ll see. Will certainly have an open discussion when I start planning it out :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Didn’t want to hijack the Sale and Promotion hunting thread.

Since amazon is a potential revenue generator for you: Have you thought about making some sort of “on sale” section on the website? Maybe something people could also “search” for or filter for in the browsing overview?
Maybe the activity feed could be shorter and then there is a scrollable & clickable banner and people could potentially even say they only want to see sales for manga or for light novels, etc. :thinking:
Afaik, that information is provided by the amazon api but I have no idea how much work something like this would be to implement.

4 Likes

So, I certainly could do things like what you’re describing, but I think just creating better discovery tools in general is the way to go :slight_smile:

While it’d be lovely to have a profitable site, these sorts of initiatives don’t make a ton of sense until we have much higher volume. And even then, I think that I could create sensible ‘premium’ features that’d make more revenue than the small affiliate fees we make (examples could be… more configurable recommendations, more recommendations, push notifications of sales, better stats, kinda like storygraph’s plus). But, all of this won’t generate much revenue until we have higher traffic.

I may need to do a top-banner fundraising campaign later in the year, largely for visa reasons. While Natively still has a long runway, South Korea didn’t love how little revenue I was producing. We’ll see. Of course, I’ve dedicated a lot to the site so far, so I wouldn’t feel too awkward asking for a little support. It would help the site :slight_smile:

11 Likes