ライトノベル読書会 📚 Light Novel Book Club | Next Book Apr 1

I’ll fix it; thanks!

1 Like

Two more days until nominations close, everyone! We have eight more slots open!

There were slots to begin with? :sweat_smile:

Up to 20! I don’t think I ever stated it specifically (other than a vague goal of 15-20 nominations), but it wasn’t really a concern, tbh. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

Discourse polls only allow 20 options, so that’s why.

5 Likes

Alrighty, it’s poll time! I’m allowing up to four choices for no reason but arbitrary ones; if the club continues and we get more nominations I can easily bump it up to five. Nomination List is here; as mentioned in the top post (I might need to make it more visible…), books with no votes will get cut :hocho: until we do another couple rounds of voting. The poll will automatically close next week June 16th, 00:00 UTC.

Anywho, the contenders:

Which should be our first book?
  • 本好きの下剋上~司書になるためには手段を選んでいられません~第一部
  • やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。
  • 異世界のんびり農家
  • この素晴らしい世界に祝福を!
  • ソードアート・オンライン プログレッシブ
  • コップクラフト
  • 幻獣調査員
  • 旅行鞄をしまえる日
  • 青春ブタ野郎はバニーガール先輩の夢を見ない
  • 妖怪アパートの幽雅な日常
  • 博多豚骨ラーメンズ
  • ひげを剃る。そして女子高生を拾う。

0 voters

Since this is our first book, let’s set another poll for starting date:

When do you want to start our first book?
  • June 26
  • July 3
  • July 10

0 voters

2 Likes

Has this been shouted out on the WK forums btw (someone may have already and I just missed it)? I suspect there’s people in the BBC, IBC, and ABC who would be interested in this given the difficulty range here is fairly wide.

1 Like

Ah, no, not too my knowledge. What would be the best place(s) there to advertise? The individual clubs?

Idk if the BBC would be interested, would they? I haven’t taken part in their book selection before, granted, but I would’ve thought that IBC would be the earliest users would want to tackle LNs.

1 Like

For those voting, remember to check samples!

All of them are available in AmazonJP as far as I know, but might be also available on other ebook marketplaces.

2 Likes

Tbh I’m not sure how beginner the beginner book club is, I kind of assumed they were somewhere in the 20s as there is also a ABBC (absolute beginner book club). But yeah - in the past I’ve done quick announcements in the IBC and the ABC when the Mystery Book Club is voting and no one has minded so far as I know and we’ve had quite a few people join this way.

3 Likes

The 多読 thread is a good place too!

5 Likes

Alrighty, club advertised~ It would be nice to pull in a couple of new faces.

4 Likes

After looking into the top voted ones, while ひげを剃る。そして女子高生を拾う is finished, the “Another Stories” are ongoing, with Vol. 9 Scheduled for May 2024.

The last two volumes seem to involve the main character, and are considered as a sort of a continuation to vol. 5.

Just though I’d share.

2 Likes

Nice idea to advertise in the WK forums as well. I’m really torn as both the IBC and IBC primer are starting soon (and I’ll participate in those), but I’d also like to join the light novel book club… I might as well give it a try, or keep an eye for future editions.

1 Like

Man, it’s been a really close battle between コップクラフト and 本好き for a while now; I’ve been keeping an eye on them and they’ve basically been flip-flopping daily. I’m glad to see we’ll likely end up with no cuts as well; we’ve gotten a lot of voters!

1 Like

While most of the list is fine to me even the ones I didn’t vote, コップクラフト is a big maybe to me so I’ve been following closely :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It looks like there’s enough votes for each of the top two choices (without much overlap) that they could each be a book club, would it be an option to have two going at once if someone volunteered to lead the additional one? Definitely understand if that’s too much going on at once!

1 Like

The usual M.O. is “good luck in the next voting round” to the second-place winner (unless one of the top two is a really short manga or something), but I don’t see any harm in a poll to hear people’s thoughts for the idea!

Would you be interested in having two novels run concurrently?
  • Yes
  • No
  • No opinion

0 voters

I think the usual reasoning is that a) it’s a lot of work, and b) you might unintentionally split your reader base, leading to lower numbers of participants all around. I’d like to hear people’s thoughts, though; if there’s demand, it could be an interesting experiment to try.

5 Likes

That makes sense! I can definitely see how it would be a lot of work and potentially discouraging if participation is lower… might be too much for anyone who was interested in reading both also!

4 Likes

It’s hard to go for an option, as if there’s a split, then コップクラフト would be a sure no for me.

So I don’t think it’s fair for me to vote, and more fair for people who voted for both コップクラフト and one of the other leading candidates.

Also this would be potentially my first book club, so I’d say I’m not the best to lead one of the clubs if there’s a split.

5 Likes