Looking to start a book club

I was part of a multilingual book club at one point where everyone was reading the same book but in the language of their choice. We were able to ask questions but it made it difficult if you were the only one reading in that language. Context helped to figure out where you were but it was easier to explain nuance if they were all reading in the same language.

I’m happy to try to go with what everyone else is wanting to read though. I just would need to buy it if I don’t have it yet.

Would being able to choose whether to read or use the audio book version (if there is one) be a possible option?

2 Likes

Oregairu has good audiobooks. It’s like listening to anime, but, while I think 34 is a bit high, it’s definitely not the easiest, despite being SoL.

1 Like

I would think that would be a reasonable thing for sure. If you’re doing audiobook only you might need to exert some extra effort to identify where your question is if people need to check in the book itself, but otherwise it’s still the book, right? I know I’ve listened to one of the mystery book club picks as I read along, and there were no issues there.

2 Likes

Just since I’m curious about people’s thoughts, and @Dexter might be busy (my apologies if you already had stuff planned!), I thought I’d toss together a couple of polls to better gauge interest.

Would you be interested in participating in an LN book club?
  • Yes
  • Maybe
  • No

0 voters

What level of LN are you comfortable reading?
  • L20-26
  • L27-33
  • L34-40
  • L40+

0 voters

has been on my radar, and if it has audiobooks even better.

And you can buy them in the USA webpage with credits on premium, so if doing that by any chance, count me in.

4 Likes

LN series I have on my radar (and thus will likely join a BC for):

LN Series I have already started (and likely will join the discussion):

LN series I have DNFed (but might join the discussion):

(sorry for the long post, but if I hide it under the “details” tag, all the info gets lost :pensive:)

7 Likes

If nothing else we’ll never run out of easy nominations, at the very least.

3 Likes

Thanks! Yea ive got other things atm I need to prioritize. Appreciate the polls

2 Likes

I’ve just started this one, I wouldn’t mind going into club mode as I’m not very far in.
The audiobooks didn’t seem very good though

Aside from the manga, and anime, this one has also a game.

I’m not sure if I’d be totally in reading that though. Depends a lot of how it’s written.

This one has a WK book club, not sure if it would be convenient to start a new one, although I’d definitely join one that started from the beginning. Jumping into one that has been going for ages is hard.

2 Likes

Looking at the polls, we have 7 maybes, 2 yes’es, and 1 no, which sounds pretty decent to me. I’d say it’d be worth putting together an official thread and seeing how it goes for a book or two, at least. Do you want to do so @Dexter? Or I or someone else can.

Would you be able to put together a thread please? I had no idea 俺ガイル had audio versions on Audible. My vote is for that series, having an audio book helps fix my main issue which is researching readings for unfamiliar words/expressions.

This one has a WK book club, not sure if it would be convenient to start a new one

I think it’d totally be worth starting a new book club since it’s a different group of people, who will most likely have different questions and different perspectives. That being said, I am slightly biased towards 本好き since reading it has been a major goal of mine for a while.

2 Likes

I’m also in favor of 俺ガイル given the existence of the audio. Reading along to audio is a great way to learn.

Sure, I can set something up, then. Might be a few hours before I can get to a computer, though.

1 Like

Okay-dokey, the new LN book club has been opened! Head over this way to see the home post.

3 Likes

Thanks for the layout. Did 3 nominations I’m interested in joining that were mentioned in this post. I’ve seen the other one I was interested in was already posted by @暁のルナ so I’ll see to that during the voting phase.

3 Likes

It looks like you wrote yours as replies to the main thread, rather than the nomination reply (ライトノベル読書会 📚 Light Novel Book Club | Currently looking for nominations! - #2 by eefara) btw. Probly doesn’t matter for the first round, but I think the idea is that it’s easier for @eefara to keep track if they’re replies to that subthread.

2 Likes

No worries what you reply to for the nominations; I can scroll through pretty easily to find them. As long as people follow the template I can just do a ctrl + f even if need be.

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out.

I hacked a fix :rofl:

2 Likes

:rofl:

I always wondered if retroactively tagging someone in a post would notify them. Now I know!

2 Likes