Lotería Challenge

Dang; I was thinking I’d have my first square marked off after starting to read D.Gray-Man 1 | L24??; the whole premise of the enemy is making living weapons from the corpses and souls of the dead, so I thought for sure “el muerte” would show up in at least chapter 1, but no luck so far. :thinking: We’ve talked about matar and tragedia and such, but the actual word “muerte” hasn’t been said afaik. I’ve got 6 more chapters left in the book, so it’s gotta pop up sooner or later. :eyes:

3 Likes

Ah-ha! Got it!

I don’t know if it matters if it’s just the regular “la muerte” vs. the fancy “el muerte”, but I’ll count it!

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s only la muerte and not el muerte. El muerto, sure, but that’s a whole other meaning. Even the bingo card has la muerte. I couldn’t find el muerte on the RAE dictionary at least, so if it does exist it’s not a standard or accepted use of it.

2 Likes

Looking back at my card, this is just a case of me misreading the gender. :person_facepalming: Carry on, nothing to see here.

3 Likes

Well I cheated a bit with tambor and venado in the past, but after both came up in the first two pages of Ciudad de las bestias I can officially cross them off now!

Haven’t crossed off anything else in a while though. Not sure why pera and paraguas have been so tricky!

3 Likes

Saw this today and thought of this thread. Zoom in on the back of the box to see some of the cards.

4 Likes

La Student Debt :skull_and_crossbones:

I hope whoever had to write that back of the box copy got a well-deserved day off after. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

It even has paper Bitcoin, I can’t :joy:

3 Likes

My first hit for a while on my lotería board. I have a Libby account but there are few Spanish books for my library service, and virtual all of them are very simple children’s books.

However when I checked it today a new book has been added - Argylle: A Novel | L34?? by Elly Conway.

In the first paragraph I finally found pino! Here’s the sentence:

Los agujas de los bosques de pinos de la taiga tapizan la tierra como un lecho de uñas verdes.

Agujas are pine needles (and also refers to needles for sewing and injections). Taiga is the same in English, a new word for me which refers to the biome in Northern America and Eurasia which consists of coniferous forests.

3 Likes