Lotería Challenge

I was thinking about the 2024 Natively Bingo Reading Challenge, and it occurred to me that it might be kind of fun to do a sort of Lotería-themed variant. Lotería is traditionally played with a 54 card deck, and each player has a tabla with a different assortment of card images, which look like this:

I’m open to other folks’ suggestions for how we could adapt the concept, but here are a few of my ideas:

1. Hard: If you encounter the word in your Spanish reading/listening, you can mark off the card on your tabla.
  2. Easier: Even if you don’t encounter the exact word, if you encounter something that you feel represents the concept close enough, you can mark it off (like counting “hueso” for “La calavera”).
  3. Alternatively: Using a single lotería square to represent an entire book/movie that you feel is representative of the card (like marking off “La araña” after you finish reading El beso de la mujer araña).

For an extra challenge, you could give yourself a specific timeframe to complete the tabla, or just see how many wins you can get during a given timeframe (in lotería, the traditional ways to get a bingo apply, as well as getting all four corners, or four in a square (a pozo)). Or you can just play until you’ve completed your tabla!

I’m working on putting together a lotería bingo card on bingobaker so that anyone who wants to play can generate a tabla, but it won’t let me upload more than 30 images in one day, so I’m going to try to get it finished tomorrow.

If you want to look at the individual cards, all of the traditional ones are here (6 La sirena is only in the pdf). For the purposes of this challenge, we’d probably leave out the, uh, racist ones (38 El Apache and 26 El negrito).

Any thoughts or ideas?

8 Likes

I got bingobaker to let me add more images! Here’s my tabla:

(link)

Feel free to generate your own using mine!

I also found an article with meanings for each of the cards (though judging by the emoji reactions to it, some people are not so keen on the article, haha), if anyone wants to do a more metaphorical interpretation of the cards.

I’m currently leaning toward doing one book per space because I think I’d have more fun if I draw it out a little more, and I think it could be entertaining to try to match books to the various symbols.

4 Likes

That seems like a fun challenge! Here’s my lotería card:

2 Likes

So far, with what I’ve read since the beginning of the year, I’m already almost finished! I might just find some more words after to continue this, it was pretty fun figuring out where each word came from. Rana in particular I was expecting to struggle to find, but I actually didn’t! And surprisingly, it’s more common words like rosa that I couldn’t find.

Below are the quotes from where I found those words, who knows, it may make you want to read those books next. I made sure not to include any spoilers.

El sol

“Mañanas sin fin, bajo los rayos del sol, a veces entre el zumbar de los insectos, la vaca y los niños esperaban la proximidad del mediodía para volver a casa.”
Adios, Cordera

La muerte

“Era canción de lágrimas, de abandono, de soledad, de muerte.”
Adios, Cordera

El mundo

“Aquello era el mundo, lo desconocido, que se lo llevaba todo.”
Adios, Cordera

La estrella

“Empezaban a brillar algunas estrellas en lo más oscuro del cielo azul, y Pinín y Rosa, los niños gemelos, los hijos de Antón de Chinta, teñida el alma de la dulce serenidad soñadora de la solemne y seria naturaleza, callaban horas y horas, después de sus juegos, nunca muy estrepitosos, sentados cerca de la Cordera, que acompañaba el augusto silencio de tarde en tarde con un blanco son de perezosa esquila.”
Adios, Cordera

La luna

“En las pocas noches que pasamos a bordo, la luna unió su magia a toda la magia que nos circundaba.”
Amnesia

La escalera

" Bajaba los escalones de la marmórea escalera, Luisa Núñez, la que diez meses después era mi esposa en el templo de la Concepción de la calle de Goya."
Amnesia

El músico

“Pero al cabo de algunos días, la memoria del músico reaparece y, en cambio, el grupo de recuerdos matemáticos se ha borrado.”
Amnesia

La corona

“Para entender el origen de este curioso lecho, tenemos que remontarnos al imperio romano, al tiempo en el que emperadores, generales, atletas y poetas lucían coronas de laurel como reconocimiento de sus logros o como símbolo de victoria.”
Las 101 cagadas del español

El soldado

“Salario a precio de oro: durante el imperio romano, la sal era un bien muy preciado y muy cotizado, por lo que a los soldados se los compensaba por su labor militar con saquitos de esta sustancia cristalina.”

El pájaro

“Las alas solo para los pájaros, y las haches para nuestras interjecciones más emocionadas.”

El paraguas

“Tampoco se puede escribir bajo ningún punto de vista, porque, incluso haciéndolo bajo el paraguas de una opinión prestada, se hace siempre desde algún punto focal.”

La campana

“El reloj dio las campanadas de las cinco, y todos se sobresaltaron.”
Diez negritos

El corazón

“Levemente, iluminan otras luces que son corazones de plata, frascos de cristal, vidrios enmarcados, y solo detrás de este brillo intermitente veras, al fondo, la cama y el signo de una mano que parece atraer-te con su movimiento pausado.”
Aura

La rana

“¿Dónde había visto esta cara de rana con ese cuello de tortuga, esa espalda y esos ojos maliciosos?”
Diez negritos

El valiente

“Una brillante hoja de servicios… conducta ejemplar y valiente durante la Gran Guerra.”
Diez negritos

3 Likes

Wow, this is a fun idea @fallynleaf! I want to participate as well~ (Though I’m going to be extremely slow at it. :sweat_smile:) Thank you for putting this together!

card

I probably won’t do anything fancy with mine; if I see the word, I mark it off, even if there are multiple per book.

3 Likes

I’m on the board!

I watched Coco! I don’t think I heard the word “violoncello” at any point, but I’m pretty sure I saw at least one in the movie, and it seemed thematically appropriate, especially when I looked at the verse associated with it:

Creciendo se fue hasta el cielo, y como no fue violín, tuvo que ser violoncello.

Growing it reached the heavens, and since it wasn’t a violin, it had to be a cello.

4 Likes

I just finished reading Agua roja | L28??, and managed to find borracho, barril y pescado. Still no rosa or bandera in sight. I’m starting to wonder wether I should just continue reading random books or actually seek ones that would fit those missing words.

El borracho

“Y tienes trabajo porque yo le supliqué a mi padre que te contratara, porque nadie más emplearía a un borracho.”
Agua roja

El barril

Nos acercamos a la zona en la que estan los barriles y las botellas.
Agua roja

El pescado

Detuve mi pie antes de aplastar un montoncillo de pan, carne y pescado que descansaba sobre el papel en el suelo.
Agua roja

3 Likes

Err, I’m kinda unclear as to why I am quoted here :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Oups, my bad. I’d started writing this and then went on to read the other thread and then this happened

2 Likes

Thanks for creating the challenge! Here is my card. I’m feeling hopeful for luna and mano, but less confident about chalupa and cantarito!

EDIT:

And after my first reading session

3 Likes

Nearly there but not quite! I allowed myself the quote below for tambor - I quite like that phrase for “drumming of hooves”. I didn’t hold out much hope for coming across “venado” - I accepted a simple “ciervo”!

3 Likes

I just saw tambor in the book I’m reading as well, haha! Though I’m not counting it since I’m doing one book per square.

Looks like we all have chalupa on our cards. Maybe we’ll have to do a book club to find a book with chalupa so that we can all mark it off :joy_cat:

3 Likes

That’d be a cool idea. I really feel like eventually we’ll have to target books if we want to find every single word.

I already have an idea for camarón, if I don’t end up finding it in a book. I know it’s somewhere in the first (I think?) episode of Soy Luna, because that’s where I learned the word.

3 Likes

I found this but it’s in English unfortunately!

3 Likes

There’s a pretty good chance it could be in Eso no estaba en mi libro de Historia de la piratería | L30??. We’d have to read it to find out though :joy:

4 Likes

Were chalupas ever used in piracy, I wonder?

2 Likes

Who knows, maybe? I just need an excuse to buy yet another book and I’ll be good

2 Likes

I finally found “bandera”! I started reading No pasó nada | L30?? and really, what better than a book about exile from Chile to talk about flags. The quote is also the longuest sentence ever, so that’s fun. It’s litteraly over half the page in my physical book :laughing:! I’d been blaming Korean for having so many long sentences, but turns out, Spanish is just as bad, I’m just more used to it.

Edit: Another one as well, “gallo”. No one ever said that it had to be used in the more traditional sense of the term, so I’m counting it.

Bandera

“Les hurgueteaba sus discos, libros y revistas, alababa sus afiches deportivos y cinematográficos en la pared, permitía que sus compañeras del liceo corrigieran mi chirriante pronunciación del alemán, y no perdí ocasión de provocarlos para que me hablaran sobre sus conflictos con los «viejos», sus dilemas con la calle y la escuela y el color de su cabello y el tinte de su piel, y sobre todo acerca de cómo arreglaban cuentas con su país natal, que cada día se alejaba más y que parecía aglutinarse sólo en cuatro o cinco iconos: el palacio presidencial en llamas bombardeado por los golpistas, una foto de Allende, los discos de Quilapayún, la bandera tricolor con la estrella «solitaria», el compañero llegado del «interior» a quien había que prestarle la cama por algunos días.”
No pasó nada

Gallo

“Yo le pregunté al papi que cómo un gallo como el Osorio podía estar en la clandestinidad, que con sólo verlo uno se daba cuenta que era el Osorio.”
No pasó nada

Three bingos so far, going strong!
Edit: And now 5 bingos!

5 Likes

I just found “camarón” en No pasó nada. It’s weird that I’m finding so many words in this one, when I found none in my previous one.

Camarón

Un pedazo de queso, después una galleta, después un chocolate, un vasito de vino, un camarón cocido.
No pasó nada

Edit: Putting this here, since I did too many replies in a row

I just found the weirdly elusive “rosa” in El Bachiller | L36??. This was yet another strange short story by Amado Nervo. 7 bingos so far, only three more words to find!

Rosa

Desde la abeja que labra el panal, después de besar a la rosa, hasta el planeta que, tendiendo eternamente a acercarse al centro de su sistema, se perfecciona a través de los siglos.
El Bachiller

4 Likes

Look what I spotted on the first page of the upcoming book club pick. It might be a good one for lotería words…

3 Likes