🌷 美しい彼 🐤 My Beautiful Man 📸 Home Thread

If we do the book club will you be reading the Korean editions? I don’t know Korean but that would be cool!

1 Like

Probably! :smile:

1 Like

美しい彼, both LN and manga, have finally been officially licensed for English:

https://x.com/TheOASG/status/1727507351232512216?s=20

5 Likes

Crazy that it took so long!

4 Likes

English BL LNs haven’t really broken through in the market afaik. The successful TV series and short length of the main novel series are probably the only reasons it got licensed at all.

3 Likes

All that great stuff people are missing out on :face_holding_back_tears:

3 Likes

Seven Seas has been printing money with the danmei they’ve licensed, so hopefully that’ll spur publishers on to dipping more into the BL market. Yen Press has taken a chance with 背中を預けるには (series) | L30??, at least; I’m not sure of any other recently-licensed BL LNs off the top of my head.

Edit: ah, 異世界の沙汰は社畜次第 (series) | L32 was also licensed by Yen Press. Looking forward to that one.

4 Likes

There is money to be printed! :blush:

Btw @bibliothecary are we gonna book club this since @Kalamari was also interested in reading? I’m down to read the Korean version with peeps. :raising_hand_woman:t2: Maybe we can set up something informal since the BL book club will start soon (and everyone on here is constantly overloaded with book clubs at all times haha :laughing:)? Happy with whatever!

4 Likes

Yeah, this is why becoming a translator is like a dream job for me – it’s definitely neglected even in the fan translation space! People are missing out and there’s lots of potential.

Chinese danmei seems to be getting a suprising amount of support these days (officially and unofficially), but Japanese BL novels definitely seem weirdly ignored, especially with how popular Japanese stuff is in general.

(Though, to be fair, if you have the skill, translating manga or shows/movies seems like a better bang for your buck time-wise, so that’s probably part of it too. I wonder if Chinese benefits because there are many more bilingual people out there.)

Japan put BL on the map years ago but I’ve noticed that fans nowadays tend to be more into stuff from China, Thailand and Korea in general. I’m hoping Japan will catch up again!

3 Likes

I’m happy with an informal reading where we can just talk about the plot or ask questions about language choices and such! Not sure how it should be handled though since I’ve never joined a bookclub before, but I’m ready to start whenever!

I’m also interested in how the Korean translation compares even though I don’t know much about the language. :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Happy to start the informal book club! :grin:

• Is everyone okay with reading at their own pace, or do we want to have more structure?
  • Should we have one thread per volume, or per chapter?

This thread can serve as the home thread for everything (LNs, and the other media if people want those too).

3 Likes

At least for the first book, the main storyline only has 3 major chapters, so maybe a thread for each and then a 4th thread for 月齢14, Chestnut and the あとがき combined?

I’m fine with structured or unstructured if that’s the case!

As a slight aside, the title is hard to translate but I’ve never liked the official choice of “My Beautiful Man” since even though Hira was pretty creepy, he never would have seen Kiyoi as “his”, y’know?

3 Likes

I think I would prefer some kind of loose structure or schedule, just because I don’t read Korean super fast or anything so I won’t be blasting through it independently. Having something to follow would keep me motivated!

I’m fine keeping it all in one thread! :slightly_smiling_face: Whatever works out best is ok for me.

2 Likes

I didn’t realise there were only 3 chapters, it doesn’t really seem worth splitting them. :thinking:

I think to keep things simple we’ll have one thread per volume including a schedule which people can follow, or you can read at your own pace. As long as we’re careful to mention where we are and use spoilers, I think we should be okay. :slightly_smiling_face:

Since it’s an informal book club and we have Japanese and Korean readers, we could pick a comfortable number of pages/week without worrying too much about page numbers and matching up the volumes (Japanese 317p, Korean 343p). For example, for 20 pages a week: Week 1 - read to page 20; Week 2 - read to page 40; and so on. How does that sound?

4 Likes

I guess the way I saw it is that because there are only 3 chapters, they’re also fairly long, and each chapter has a very different tone. But if we’re doing a more structured timeline, it doesn’t matter to me, I’ll adjust to whatever everyone else prefers!

2 Likes

One thread per volume makes sense to me, given how few people we’ll likely have participate.

A loose schedule sounds good to me. :+1: And if someone feels they need to adjust faster or slower, it would be super easy with a small, informal group.

Same here, just because “My Beautiful Man” sounds unnatural to me. Who in what context would ever say that?

Sounds good to me; we’ll just be careful to mark spoilers as needed. It’ll be a good test to see if that works for the next book(s).

2 Likes

Yeah, it sounds so terribly cheesy lol I was hoping they would change it if it got picked up but it’s already stuck because of the show/movies, it seems :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll make a thread for the first book, then. :smiling_face:

How many pages per week are people comfortable with? We’ll probably go with a lowish number for the schedule, and those who want to read more can read ahead/go at their own pace.

If you’re happy following the schedule, when would you like to start?

2 Likes

That all sounds great to me! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m good with at least 15-20 and starting even as soon as now! :melting_face:

2 Likes