📚 bibliothecary's bibliophilia 📚

Daaaang. That is so cool! :open_mouth: I hadn’t even heard of 24年組 before; definitely going to have to look that up! Thank you for all the info!

1 Like

I’ve mostly been reading manga lately, but I’m going to try to get through some more Tadoku graded readers. I’ve read 92/109 of Tadoku - Free (series) | L0-19??, so I want to finish the series, and I’ve got 5 volumes of Taishukan Japanese Readers (series) | L7-22 and Tadoku - Japanese Graded Readers (series) | L5-22 sitting on my bookshelf.

If one of my picks for the ライトノベル読書会 📚 Light Novel Book Club | Reading 本好き | Next 後宮の烏 wins, I’ll join that (though it will be a stretch considering my current level); if not, I’ll to start a book+audiobook (possibly Magic Tree House Book Club? 🏡). I want to build my Japanese reading habit and improve so I can start reading all my BL LNs (new book club idea!) :laughing:

4 Likes

:eyes:

Don’t tempt me. :rofl:

4 Likes

Never fear. I shall join the club instead to save @eefara from temptation. It is a hard sacrifice, but a noble cause :triumph:

8 Likes

I am saved from temptation, because I own very few BL books. :face_holding_back_tears: however, webnovels exist. :face_in_clouds:

5 Likes

I managed to read Japanese every day this week! :tada:

Here’s what I finished:

I picked up 絵本 おじさまと猫 ふくまるとしあわせの宇宙船 書籍 | L17 because I was hoping it would be a heartwarming story about ふくまる and パパ (just look at that adorable chibi おじさま on the cover); instead, it was a story about ふくまる meeting a couple of 宇宙猫… :confused:

Anyway, I’ve started https://learnnatively.com/book/599111c352/ (already read it in English) and I am ready to feel some feelings. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

It doesn’t look like one of my picks is gonna win the ライトノベル読書会 📚 Light Novel Book Club | Reading 本好き | Next 後宮の烏 (what a tense battle :sweat_drops:) so I guess I’m gonna be reading Magic Treehouse along with the audiobook. I’ll wait till the poll’s officially over just in case :laughing:

8 Likes

So August wasn’t a great month for my Japanese… :melting_face:

I haven’t really focused on a single book, instead dipping into a chapters here and there of various manga and children’s books, along with stories from https://yomujp.com, http://hukumusume.com/, and https://www.satorireader.com/.

I’m happy I read some Japanese most days, even if they were short sessions. I’m gonna try to remember to mark off my days read calendar, because I haven’t been doing that recently. :sweat_smile:

I’m thinking of starting early on next week’s reading for 🇰🇷 🇯🇵 Home Thread for 本好きの下剋上 / 책벌레의 하극상 📚 🪱. It’s my first book club and I’m attempting to read both the Japanese and Korean versions, so I want to give myself a bit of a headstart, just to be safe. :laughing:

:jp: ebook + physical book + audiobook
:kr: ebook

My plan is:

• read the :kr: chapters (ebook) straight through, no lookups
  • read the :jp: chapters (physical + audiobook) straight through, no lookups
  • intensive reading of :kr: and :jp: side by side (ebooks)
  • (maybe) relistening to :jp: audiobook

Since I foresee this being a challenge, I’m not gonna aim for any more than this. If I can keep up with the book club pace, I’ll be happy! :blush:

Current stats

download

5 Likes

Finished this week

:memo: includes a written review
:headphones: read along with audiobook
:ear: audiobook only
:underage: adult content; not currently on Natively
:x: format not currently supported on Natively

Graded Reader

TV Show

Podcast

• Nihongo con Teppei 1-130 :x:

Review

I think the book club has got me back in the groove with Japanese - I actually have things to include in a weekly summary! :triumph:

I finished my first non-anime TV series, and no surprises, it was a BL! If you don’t mind a bit of angst, 4月の東京は… S1 | L30 is a great watch. :two_hearts:

I was underwhelmed by 初級日本語よみもの げんき多読ブックス [Box 1] GENKI Japanese Readers Box 1 | L6, although I’ll probably continue the series just for some extensive reading.

For some easy listening practice, I started Nihongo con Teppei. Each episode is only a few minutes long, but still, I was a bit surprised to realise how many I was able to get through!

As for 本好きの下剋上, I’ve found myself thinking this seems like the type of book I would have loved as a kid; I would have fallen into the world head-first like Alice in Wonderland. Alas, I don’t foresee myself reincarnating as a 5-year-old Japanese girl in order to truly fulfil this dream. :face_holding_back_tears:

There’s a lot of unknown vocab and grammar, but having the Korean copy to reference has been a big help (although I often find myself ‘reading’ kanji in Korean… ㅠ_ㅠ). I think I’ll have to be more discerning about what I choose to look up, though - intensive reading is slow-going, and there’s too many pages to read per week to look up every little thing.

Plans

Much the same as last week:

8 Likes

Finished this week

Graded Reader

TV Show

Podcast

Review

In an attempt to speed up my 本好きの下剋上 reading, I’ve been reading a page at a time this week: first in Korean, then Japanese (ttsu + yomichan), followed by rereading the Japanese along with the audiobook. I can’t read it as closely as I originally planned, but I can get through the weekly reading and still have plenty of time for other books and TV shows. :grin:

I ended up falling head over heels for 美しい彼 | L34 and binging all the episodes… And then immediately bought the first volume of the light novel, a couple of manga volumes, the photo books for the drama series and the movie (just released; will be watching that as soon as I can!), the drama/movie script books… and Yusei Yagi’s photobook. I’m a fan now! :laughing: :heart:

Plans

I seem to have settled into a nice little routine, so I’ll just continue with it. :smiling_face:

7 Likes

Enjoy! All of them are really fun reads and even better than the drama (although it comes close :face_holding_back_tears:)

2 Likes

it was our monthly pick a while back in a club I am in and you are definitely not alone in becoming a fan. :rofl: Though, personally, overall it’s not quite my thing, I enjoyed the LN more than the drama. I was cringing so hard while watching the drama and only made it through because I had a group to vent with how cringe it was. :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

Please be sure to take pictures when it all arrives in! I want to see all the goodies! :smiley:

Ah, and I was doing some research; 美しい彼’s publisher Chara regularly publishes bonus stories and such for their series throughout the year. They’re mostly just fluffy additions afaik, not anything containing important plot or anything, but if/when you wanted to see what’s available for 美しい彼, just let me know I and I can take pictures/scans of any stories I have!

(Oh, I just realized the above may sound kind of sketchy. The bonus stories are printed in “not for sale” booklets and pamphlets the publisher distributes every year, not in paid books. Well, they may be reprinted in paid books, but if they are I wouldn’t provide a copy, of course.)

6 Likes

:eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

3 Likes

I will! It’ll probably be next week sometime… I’m anticipating it like a kid waiting for Christmas! :rofl:

Oh you wonderful person! :face_holding_back_tears: :heart:

3 Likes

Just a quick note for @bibliothecary and other 美しい彼 fans: looks like a special 12-page booklet’s going to be included with preorders for the third manga volume over at animate:
https://twitter.com/chara_tokuma/status/1704322145000821173

4 Likes

Finished this week

TV Show

Podcast

• Nihongo con Teppei 301-350 :x:

Drama CD

• 嫌いでいさせて :x:

Review

I’ve struggled to really concentrate on anything this week, so I’ve mostly been watching TV and doing a bit of listening. I’m blaming my lethargy on the changing seasons… :yawning_face:

I watched ジャックフロスト S1 | L23, which I really loved. I don’t know whether I’ve just been lucky or Japan just produces amazing BL series, but all the ones I’ve watched so far have been amazing (美しい彼 | L34 and 4月の東京は… | L30 being the others). :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’ve also started グッド・プレイス S1 | L30?? which I’ve watched half a dozen times in English. It’s so weird seeing the characters speak Japanese! :rofl:

I happened to listen to the BLCD of 嫌いでいさせて | L22, and was shocked to realise I could actually follow it! I’ve read the series a few times in English, so I know the story pretty well, but understanding the audio and being able to picture the scenes was a nice little confidence boost. :face_holding_back_tears:

I have a modest collection of drama CDs, but I assumed it would be a long time before I’d be able to understand them, so I hadn’t even tried listening to them until now. The combination of a familiar story and pure dialogue made for a relatively easy listen, so I’ll be on the lookout for BLCDs of manga I’ve read on Mandarake (buying new is… expensive :flushed:).

My plan for listening so far has been to work my way through Nihongo con Teppei’s beginner and intermediate podcasts (~1.5k episodes), followed by more beginner/easy podcasts. It’ll be nice to have some easyish native material to add into the mix.

Plans

Catch up with book club reading! I’ve given myself some slack this week since I was so tired, but I don’t want to fall behind too much. :persevere:

5 Likes

Any recommendations you have on BLCDs would be awesome; I really need to work on my listening, but I don’t have much as motivation atm.

1 Like

September Review

This was a month full of listening practice, apparently! :smile:

2 books
6 TV seasons
8 ratings
5 reviews
35 gradings
48 books contributed
116 videos contributed

742 pages read
22 hours watched

Notable

more stats

download

download (1)

download (2)

4 Likes

Finished this week

TV Show

Podcast :x:

Drama CD :x:

Review

I listened to 凛! ~RIN~, another manga (凛-RIN-! (series) | L24??) I’ve read (several times) in English, and I really enjoyed it! It’s a sweet and pure 初恋 story set around a school archery club (there’s something therapeutic about the thuds of the arrows hitting the targets… and I kept imagining Cupid hitting his marks, the MCs :laughing: ). I particularly liked Katsura’s voice, which was very cute. Only the first volume has been adapted, which is a shame, but like the manga, it can stand on its own as a complete story.

I’ve been using Anki regularly again for the past couple of weeks - I used it for a couple of weeks when I first started learning Japanese several months ago, just to pick up some basic vocabulary so I could dive into extensive reading. I feel like I’m at a place where I’d like to do a little bit of studying, so I’ve started a vocab deck and a DoJG sentences deck. I can get carried away with anki, so I’m gonna try to limit it to <15 minutes a day for now. :nerd_face:

The vocab deck is based on 美しい彼 | L30, ranked by frequency. Whether it’s picked as the next read for the 👨‍❤️‍👨 BL Book Club | Reading: 今日からマ王! or not, I’m planning to start reading it before the end of the year, so I want to prep a little first. :smiling_face:

4 Likes

October Goals

Experimenting with goal tracking! :notebook:

Type Goal Progress
Read 20 manga volumes ▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰
Watch 40 TV episodes1 ▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰
Listen 400 Teppei eps2 ▰▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱

1. Includes 6 eps rewatched.
2. Starting at episode 387.

Daily Checklist

Week 3
:bar_chart: anki
:orange_book: manga
:desktop_computer: drama
:radio: teppei
Week 2 (9th-15th Oct)
Week 2
Week 1 (2nd-8th Oct)
Week 1

Days Listened

Anything audio-only: podcasts, radio dramas, etc.

4 Likes