🕵️‍♀️ 推理小説読書会 📚 Mystery Novel Book Club 👮‍♂️ Preparing to read 赤ずきん、旅の途中で死体と出会う!

I knew I had read that explicitly somewhere!

Shouldn’t any copy of the book, digital or not, count towards his sales? :thinking:
In any case, if he was after a nice round number, maybe now he’ll change his mind about ebooks?

4 Likes

Nope, that number doesn’t include ebooks :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

He might not earn as much from ebook sales as well; at least in America iirc authors don’t make as much off of ebooks as they do from hard copies.

2 Likes

Got curious and googled. This link has mildly NSFW images just as a warning: [寄稿] 電子と紙のどちらで買うのが作家さんのためになりますか?問題|此ノ木よしる|pixivFANBOX

結論から言ってしまうと、読者の方がそういったことを気にする必要はまったくないので「どちらでも好きなほうでOK!」

It goes onto say paper books are usually 10% royalty, which is to say a 500円 book would give the author 50円. Ebooks vary a bit, from “15% royalty on the selling price” to “25% of the amount the publisher gets” (which uh…suggests there’s another cut in the middle somewhere to me). They say basically just assume 15% cause it’s complicated.

Then it says that printed pays royalties on number of copies printed, whereas ebooks royalties are paid on how many are sold. So I guess an author can get more money from the publisher guessing wrong on how popular a book is gonna be.

I stopped reading around that point, but seems to be the gist.

7 Likes

Yep, Amazon (or whoever is operating the ebook storefront) takes their cut before giving the rest to the publisher…

5 Likes

Final week of 告白! image

2 Likes

Are we taking a summer break or are we continuing the club as usual? :thinking: I am happy to continue, but I know a lot of people travel during summer or have kids to keep occupied or have time consuming outdoor hobbies, etc. :smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’d be fine either way. A break would be nice, but if people want to continue I’m good with that as well.

2 Likes

I am happy to continue! Dodging the sun with a nice book suits me :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Since I skipped 告白 I’m ready to dive back in

2 Likes

On mobile so replying is a bit messier, but I posted this a bit back. No intention of a summer break for the club, but no hard feelings if some people skip the summer season due to life busy-ness. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I was planning to open this my late evening (so morning for the eastern part of the world) but I’m going to be busy so opening it now.

It is time to vote!

Read Sesame Street GIF by PBS KIDS
As a reminder, :arrow_right: NOMINATIONS ARE HERE :arrow_left:

ebooks typically have previews (立ち読み) so if the book is unrated and you’re unsure, or you just want to scope out the writing style, please make use of it! Keep in mind that a good deal of books are entered at 30 by default and some of the books with only one or two ratings can have pretty unstable ratings.

As with last time, you will have 5 votes in this poll, and any books to receive no votes will go in the Nomination Graveyard :headstone: They can be renominated, but please wait at least two voting cycles before reintroducing them.

As a quick reminder, the schedule is as follows:

• June 26th - voting opens
  • July 2nd - voting closes and winner announced
  • July 17th - first weekly thread for the chosen book is opened!

Without further ado - the vote!

• 黒い森の記憶 | L30
  • 赤ずきん、旅の途中で死体と出会う。 | L30??
  • アンデッドガール・マーダーファルス 1 | L30??
  • ノッキンオン・ロックドドア | L32
  • 砂の家 | L30??
  • 変な家 | L28
  • 木洩れ日に泳ぐ魚 | L32
  • 白光 | L30??
  • 名探偵は嘘をつかない | L38
  • 透明人間は密室に潜む | L30??
  • 私が大好きな小説家を殺すまで | L24??
  • 時空旅行者の砂時計 | L30??
  • そして五人がいなくなる<名探偵夢水清志郎事件ノート> | L25
  • 眼球堂の殺人 ~The Book~ | L30??
  • 『クロック城』殺人事件 | L30??
  • 黒蜥蜴 | L35
  • medium 霊媒探偵城塚翡翠 | L33
  • 眠りの森 | L30??

0 voters

5 Likes

So far, we are really spread out this time. :eyes:

(っ•ᴗ•c)ワクワク

3 Likes

I am excited for this one! There were so many good options. I am also relieved I’m not the only one voting for my nominations :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Let’s keep a close eye on the poll (and possibly screenshots). The problem that happened with the light novel poll a few days ago, with only one vote per voter being retained, is now happening on wanikani. We have no guarantee it won’t happen again.

3 Likes

You say this like I don’t hover this poll the entire week it’s open :joy:

5 Likes

For what it’s worth, i’m thinking this was a one time issue and I opened a bug on meta discourse. We’ll see what others think.

It would mean the data was completely wiped however.

5 Likes

As always, it’s so difficult to narrow down my choices… First I’ll go through and check all the ones I’m interested in, regardless of number, then go back to see what the damage was. I had 10 on my short list this time; it’s gonna be tough. :\

1 Like

I have exactly 5 on my TBR, so that was easy, since I promised myself I only participate in a BC if I already own the book. :rofl:

3 Likes

I’ve been trying to do that, but everyone keeps voting for such interesting-looking books. :< It’s all you guys’ fault. :sob: (告白 was really good; I’m glad I read that one.)

3 Likes