🕵️‍♀️ 推理小説読書会 📚 Mystery Novel Book Club 👮‍♂️ Preparing to read 点と線!

I can’t see myself making those lists, but if anyone in the club wanted to make and maintain those they could and I would not object. But I think for finding books in the genre the Natively tagging system would work better.

2 Likes

It can be searched something like this

https://learnnatively.com/search/jpn/books/?ntags=mystery&tags=book-club

Maybe I overestimated the usefulness of the list, but here it is Mystery BC current and past nominations | Japanese list by polv | Natively

2 Likes

One of our nominations, 変な家, is going to be read as part of a book club on the WK forums in case anyone is interested:

You do need a (free) WK site membership to post on the forums, but you don’t need to actually be using WK to participate in discussions there.

6 Likes

Just a quick reminder that we will vote for the next book a week after the current club closes, which means the next poll will open on August 5th. We currently have 15 nominations and we accept up to 20, so if there is a mystery book you’d like to nominate please use the template in the top post.

7 Likes

One of our nominations, 点と線 has an audiobook version slated to be out at the end of August:

Too late for the next round of voting, but figured I would throw the information out there!

8 Likes

Just a reminder that voting for the next round opens August 5th. Please get your nominations (template in top post) in before then if you have something you’d like to throw in the ring!

Also, it came to my attention reading a thread over on the WK forums that the 2 weeks given for purchasing physical books may not be enough. So, a poll:

If you read physical books for the club, how much time do you need to get a copy?

• 2 weeks or less
  • 3 weeks
  • 4 weeks
  • Over 4 weeks
  • I don’t order physical books for book club reading
0 voters

I gave the option of 2 choices as I figure it may vary a bit.

4 Likes

I opted for three weeks, but my actual situation is that I only order physical books when I’m going to order at least five at once to keep the delivery costs down. So at least some of the time I hope to get multiple different book club picks at once, so early notice of what the pick is increases the chances of having a window when I know the outcome for both clubs but neither has started yet and so I can order for both.

The actual delivery time for cdjapan is pretty good, so the order-and-delivery part fits within two weeks generally. So if I’m not trying to juggle multiple book clubs and am just filling the rest of an order from my wishlist it matters less.

6 Likes

As an example, my last cdjapan order in January included a book for the mystery book club here, one for the LN book club (where I started slightly late but caught up), and one for the WK Intermediate club. But that was quite lucky sequencing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It is time to vote!

maude garrett wow GIF by Alpha

The nomination list is here. You can vote for up to 5 choices. The poll will close in a week.

Based on the results of the last poll, and considering that it’s only a minor change, there will now be 3 week break between the poll closing and the next club starting. This means the next club will open on September 2nd

• アンデッドガール・マーダーファルス 1
  • 砂の家
  • 変な家
  • 名探偵は嘘をつかない
  • 私が大好きな小説家を殺すまで
  • 時空旅行者の砂時計
  • 眼球堂の殺人 ~The Book~
  • 『クロック城』殺人事件
  • 黒蜥蜴
  • 悲嘆の門 (上)
  • 湖底の光芒
  • 点と線
  • 満願
  • 推しの殺人
  • 妃は船を沈める
0 voters

edit: huh, I used the same poll format as always but it’s not acknowledging the time to close…? I guess I’ll close it manually

5 Likes

I think I voted for the exact same books last time :sweat_smile: curious to see how the vote turns out! :eyes:

5 Likes

It’s part of some new update; the automatic close time is still there and active, it just doesn’t show on the poll itself anymore. :\

4 Likes

The poll being a tease. Will I close? Won’t I? It’s gonna be a surprise! :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

It’s been stuck in a tie for over a day :face_with_peeking_eye:

5 Likes

I’m helping :smiley:

I’ve already read all 3 of those books so I don’t have a horse in this race

7 Likes

We landed on a tie! :scream: I’m creating a run-off poll that will go for 3 days (autoclosing).

Which book will we read next?
  • 眼球堂の殺人 ~The Book~
  • 点と線
0 voters
3 Likes

For once it’s an easy poll since my votes are always based on what I own. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I own both so for me it was hard :rofl: But I voted for the shorter one…

6 Likes

I only own one :grin:

And if I remember correctly I think I’ve read the other one in translation, and I had found the details a bit tedious? But it’s very possible I’m misremembering.

6 Likes

I also only own one. Apparently, the other one. :grin:

3 Likes

I own neither :laughing:
But I know where to quickly find a copy of 点と線, so…

2 Likes