Physical Books or E-Reader?

I can do the pen thing with the old Surface Go I have with ttsu and Yomichan in Firefox (and it’s a 2018 device).

So you don’t need to go all the way to buy a Pro, which is quite expensive if only used to read books.

Is it published in the App Store? Sadly I don’t have a developer environment setup to send stuff to my iPhone, and if I recall correctly you needed also an account that costs money?

Seeing the promo on Apple’s website and people’s reviews online, I’m convinced it’s not the same experience. The original apple pencil also offered a degree of smoothness and accuracy that other tablets and even wacoms don’t offer.

Not yet, I’m still making it and it will have to go through the Apple review process (a few weeks ~ months). I already paid Apple the developer subscription fee to publish the app though.

1 Like

It might not be as smooth as that, but for me is good enough. The iPad pro is a high entry price after all.

If you get a testflight running let me know!

There is a testflight! Dm me your email and I can let you in.

1 Like

I keep switching accounts in the iPhone between appstore regions, you don’t have by any chance a way to join with a link?

If not I’ll try figure which account I use the most.

Unfortunately you have to login with your apple account to the testflight app to access the app, so I will need your email to send you an invite.

The Bunpro testflight was with a public link, but I’ll figure out the email I’m using in testflight, I don’t know if it’s the main one or one of the alternative ones.

1 Like

It’s available on the app store now! Fingers crossed it works for you.

1 Like

I’m having trouble with the ttsu.app in the Reader tab.

I can load an epub just fine, but it won’t allow me to go in. I noticed the Settings button also doesn’t do anything there.

Do you want me to open a ticket in github?

Try to restart the app. The reader takes quite some memory so you might need to close other apps.

That seems to have worked. Might be the first load of the reader.
Does ttsu load initially from the web or it’s embedded within the app?

First load? Hm. I tried reinstalling it today on my iPhone SE 2 and can’t reproduce, but I do remember having issues in earlier testflight versions when reinstalling that were solved by restarting the app.

It’s local and don’t rely on the internet.

1 Like

It’s hard to tell what was going on behind scenes, but it looked like it was missing loading some javascript.

Some links in the ttsu reader worked, while settings or entering the book didn’t. Anyway seems to be working now, so I’ll give it a go for when I don’t have my tablet in hand.

I can now see why you wanted to try it with a pen though, it feels a bit clunky with the finger, and makes me wish the iphone worked with the pen too.

Thanks for the hard work!

1 Like

I was under the impression that touch was better on the android reader because of the bigger screen and font. I’ll install it on my iPad tonight and test it out.

Hm I don’t recall it needing any CDN. I’ll check later.

1 Like

Except my tablet is not an Android. It’s a Windows device with a wacom digitizer (Surface Go 3).

Still, this app will surely be useful when I’m not carrying my tablet around and I have some downtime!

Is it possible to give a setting to disable the dictionary animation?
I find it a bit clunky.

Also this might be harder, but I’d like the ability to jump from word to word instead of closing and opening.

(Also maybe the app needs it’s own thread)

It’s possible.

Even if was possible, it would make it hard to close the dialog. You would always have to look for empty space on the screen, the only consistent one being the top space, but then you would be invoking the top settings bar. I know this is the default behavior on jidoujisho, but I don’t think it has a solution to this problem.

Regarding a new thread, I’ll leave that up to @brandon
I shared this initially as an appropriate response here, but starting a new thread here might fall under self-promotion.

1 Like

Maybe the disabling the animation will smooth it enough. The thing is if you use the finger to select, sometimes the wrong thing gets selected. That means open animation - wrong word - close animation - open animation - new word, it’s not very smooth operation wise.

For closing you could do a slide down gesture, but I’m guessing that might not be very intuitive, so I understand the mechanic of not having to look for a white space.

Here is a quick demo without the animation

I suppose this is fast enough for most purposes. Also, if you happen to hit a character in the same line, you can use the tabs on top to switch to another character.

1 Like

If you want to open a self-promotion thread / thread on your product @Yui you have my approval, it’s a great site :slight_smile:

3 Likes