Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

I’m not sure I follow. You can still see the latest topics in all categories on the homepage? What topics aren’t you able to see?

You used to get (if I remember correctly) 3 recent topics in ‘Natively’, 3 in ‘Language Learning’, 3 in ‘Reading’ and 3 in ‘Watching’. Now you only get 3 in ‘Natively’ and 3 in ‘Japanese’, so half as many as before and 3 of the 4 subcategories have got merged into one so all their threads are mixed together and competing for those 3 slots. This forum moves slowly enough that in the old view the top level page was enough for me to see all the changed threads since my last visit, but in the new view it’s not.

This isn’t a big deal, though, and I can see why the impending addition of Korean means things need to move around.

Edit: to clarify, this is the mobile UI.

2 Likes

It’s as @pm215 said on mobile in particular. Previously there’d always be three Reading and three Watching topics, but now just three of anything in the Japanese category. I usually just go to New and Unread anyway, so not a huge deal for me, but it was nice being able to see things at a glance. I’m not sure there’s anything you can do about it, it’s just a bit unfortunate.

3 Likes

Ah I see now, yeah the mobile UI has changed quite a bit, that is unfortunate.

The only possible solution I can do is perhaps tweaking the main site’s dashboard feed to give you a similar “3 per category” view. But not much more I can do about the forum.

2 Likes

Found the setting… now the categories should be fixed.

4 Likes

I’ve now moved Video out of beta, per the feedback we’ve received… so you’ll now see things fully graded :slight_smile:

There’s still a lot of work to do, but i think it’s ok to showcase grades we have a lot of comparisons on.

4 Likes

Something weird is going on after changing the category structure. Previously you could go to the bottom of a topic and see recommendations for other topics. This would show new and unread topics first. Now I don’t see any of those and only one (already read) topic instead of the usual ~5. :cry:

1 Like

Interesting. I changed a setting to limit suggestions to the current category (as I didn’t want Korean infiltrating)… however, it seems to be struggling to recommend anything.

I’ve turned it off. We’ll see if it’s an issue when Korean comes around.

2 Likes

Users always have the option to mute the entire Korean category (which I intend to do), so it’s probably not a big deal. If you allow the user to specify their desired languages in Natively settings (not just a cookie-based UI choice), you could also sync that with the forums to auto-mute the category or something.

5 Likes

So, happy news on incorporating Korean into discourse:

• I should be able to mute any language categories you don’t follow by default

• Apparently, muted categories are hidden from the forum homepage and collapsed as below:

• People who have both Korean & Japanese can be subscribed to both by default. Basically, updates should wrk :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I’m glad I can still see them and indulge my nosiness :joy: I wanna see what other learners are talking about, even if we’re not learning the same thing

5 Likes

To be clear, if you mark the category ‘normal’ or ‘watching’ it will override my group default :joy:

4 Likes

Is there a way to auto-hide certain activity? I’m considering tracking my owned books on Natively instead of Bookmeter (since Natively has filter by type options), but I don’t want to inundate everyone with 100 entries of owned books. :sweat_smile:

Second, is there a way to hide my own activity from myself? I really don’t want to see my hidden activity when I go to a book page.

Third, I think it would be nicer to look at the activity on a book page by type of activity. Since this is already on the book page, it doesn’t even need to list the book name in the area, which would save a lot of space. Something like what bookmeter does would be nice.

@brandon Let me know if you want official requests for any of these.

3 Likes

So no… you can only mark individual activities hidden. Maybe one day. Would be a reasonable product request.

If you hide an activity and then have the ‘don’t show hidden activities’ does hide your hidden activities:

Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 11.01.51 AM

Interesting. Another good product request yeah.

3 Likes

Ah… would be easier to find if it was in the preferences page instead of hidden in that menu.

I’ll make a product request tomorrow for the other two.

1 Like

Agreed. As I’m playing in the preferences right now, perhaps i’ll add with Korean. We did briefly talk about this before with Audiovisual release.

As for spamming the activity feed, I really wouldn’t worry about it, it’ll be gone in a day haha. You could set your profile to private briefly if you were very concerned.

2 Likes

I’m still doing this, but the only thing stopping this from being perfect is the lack of edition support on Natively. I have no way of indicating that I own ご注文はうさぎですか? Complete Blend, which is a masterpiece edition that bundles two volumes in one (with larger pages and dozens of color pages). Perhaps one day!

3 Likes

I know, eesh. Edition support is pretty critical, planning to get it done next quarter… but we’ll see!

When we do have it it’ll make adding books soo much easier for me - just allow people to add whatever edition they want (automated) and then figure out how to map the edition connections after they’re added (manual, but could be crowdsourced) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I ran out of votes for Product Requests :rofl:

2 Likes

@brandon I used to be able to edit my activities, I had a small pen thing where I could fix wrongly inputted data, now it’s gone and I can not even delete entries? Just hide them.

1 Like