9 Likes

한국( かんこく )

amaama-to-inazuma-anime

12 Likes

frollo-disney

9 Likes

Thank you for the laugh.ありがとう

:rofl:

Edit: because Korean has very similar grammar, having a book written in Hangul with Furigana on top would actually probably work. :face_with_peeking_eye:

5 Likes

This may have been mentioned before, but are there plans to distinguish whether a book is read in physical/digital form or listened to as an audiobook (or both), similar to how subs are handled with videos?

I don’t know if it would be overcomplicating things, but there could be a big difference in the way a book is graded depending on if it was read or listened to… :thinking:

5 Likes

I think it’s been briefly chatted about before, but no formal request. We only have the full blown Audible search / support request, which is now partially done :slight_smile:

Audiobooks are a bit strange in that they are very closely tied to the books and many people do them together. I don’t think we’d have a required field like subs, but perhaps a simple checkbox saying you read the audiobook / did both might be nice.

4 Likes

Would it be possible for the same number pages to be counted differently? Like for example, there’s a book about days of the year that I’m reading. It typically has 1 page per day. However, if I try to enter only that page, I get an error message saying that the start page can’t be higher than the end page. Could the end page have something like .001 added onto it invisibly to get around that? Or something similar?

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure what you mean. Are you saying that you read a specific page, like page 300, and you only want to mark that page read none of the others?

1 Like

Yep, that’s exactly it. But Natively doesn’t let me put 1 page, it always makes me do 2 or more which gets really confusing and also inaccurate

1 Like

I see. Yeah, I’ve imagined that potential use case before, but wasn’t sure how common it was. I know it’d be nice to be able to specify exactly which pages you’ve read, but my initial gut reaction is that it probably would add more complication than its worth…

For the time being, i’d probably recommend just recording the pages read as if you were reading them sequentially from the beginning. You can use the private notes field to keep track exactly which ones you’ve read.

Regardless, certainly worth a product request!

1 Like

Would it cause that much trouble? Or even just making decimal points possible would make it work. Would doing them European style (with a comma) keep it from breaking the code?

1 Like

heh, the issue isn’t the decimal points. The issue is that if you say you’re on page 300 of a book, I assume that you’ve read all the pages prior in your stats.

Edit: The current ‘end page has to be higher than the starting page’ restriction makes sense if you’re sequentially reading the book. If that weren’t true, then there’d be no update.

I feel like that’s a more reasonable expectation for books in your native language, but less given for learners. We’re more likely to read short story collections, textbooks, etc- works that can and are often read out of order.

Since the JoJo Parts are sometimes split within a volume, I’ve noticed this restriction, but it only bothers me in this case since it’s not possible to put single pages for this page a day type book. As of right now too, how does natively sort pages read when there’s not the reading session entries? It looked like in my records for a while before I added that data that it was putting all the book’s pages in the end month and not equally spreading them over the time period.

1 Like

I encourage you to make a product request so we can continue the discussion there :slight_smile:

I do agree that learners need things to be more flexible and granular, it’s partly why i’ve put a lot of time into already.

That’s correct. Again, open to discussion, but probably another feature request!

1 Like

This is probably too niche to be worth a formal product request, so I wanted to see what kind of feedback others had on this idea first. I was thinking it’d be nice to be able to have audio wish lists. Like, there’s stuff I’d like to listen to to practice my listening, but wouldn’t be as interested in just plain reading it, and it feels wrong to add it to my normal wish list. I suppose I could add it to my wish list, then add it to a custom audio wishlist list, but then it’s sitting in my normal wish list. :thinking:

Maybe this could be a consideration if some sort of dedicated audio checkbox is added for a book? Yes? No? Am I thinking too hard about this?

3 Likes

I think more broadly “custom wishlists” that don’t contribute to the default one would cover more use cases? I’m sure people have other use cases for it, I think some shopping sites have multiple custom lists.

6 Likes

Ah, that would be nice too!

2 Likes

I’m imagining an Audio/Listening section in the future for podcasts, radio dramas, etc. I think it would be useful to include audiobooks too, for those that don’t read the (e)book.

I think there might be a trello card for linking related media (for example, if a LN series has manga and anime adaptions), which would work to bridge between the books and audiobooks.

I think a separate listening section would be useful for tracking, to get a more complete picture of the media being consumed. Maybe it’s already been suggested, I haven’t looked.

2 Likes

Yeah @seanblue has been trying to push this too:

It’s a good callout.

I agree. I’m not entirely sure how we’ll figure it all out, but it’s definitely something we’ll want to tackle, maybe mid / late next year.

Update on providers

Providers is nearly done! Book Providers & Watch Providers are now filters in your library, along with the ability to favorite.

I think the only things that remain are:

• cleaning up the location filter for watch providers (allow multiple locations? type dropdown rather than select?)
  • adding in watch provider descriptions to movie / season pages.
  • figure out how to clean up all the noise in the TMDB watch providers… way too many? Just a display & ordering issue I think.

This has taken me way longer than I anticipated, but the scope creeped significantly of course… and hopefully it will just be solved going forward.

6 Likes

I’ve graded quite a few books that I only listened to the audio of, I’m personally not super fussed on implementation but whether or not (and how) to pluck out those entries is something to keep in mind I suppose.

Also is Discourse updating? The links in your comment keep flashing between formatted and unformatted while I look at them :sweat_smile:

2 Likes