Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

As far as I know, neither does audible :thinking:
Also, I came across editions (on audible) that do not match any printed version (like 化物語 being split into 3 instead of 2). The covers of the first and last part match the printed version (and obviously so does their titles), but the content doesn’t.

Well, hopefully, those issues would be few and far between.

3 Likes

Yeah our audible linking has been included in our book upload process, so it’s not really reproducible for audiobook.jp. Basically, our upload process usually looks at the kindle series page and / or the individual book page, which shows if there’s an audible edition.

Right, i’m sure there will still be issues, but I do think it’ll be much better than text matching. The issues we can solve by hand :slight_smile:

Edit:

Yeah, from my basic understanding, image matching (really image classification) is kinda the bread & butter for machine learning and where the hype for neural nets all got started… so I gotta think there’s an easy, out of the box solution here, but who knows.

4 Likes

@brandon – Is grading broken this morning? If I go to “grade items” in the menu, it shows me a pair of books to grade, but clicking one of the “harder” buttons just shows me the same pair of books again. Looking at “view gradings” shows that the grading did get recorded, and reloading the “grade items” page gives a new pair of books, so it looks like it just doesn’t correctly advance to a new grading pair? (The “skip this” button does advance to a different grading pair.)

2 Likes

Noted! Will investigate tomorrow morning :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Has anyone ever made a request to have a catchall kind of item for books that don’t have an isbn/aren’t available on Amazon (monthly magazines or doujin for example)? I’m not sure what to look up to see if a similar request has already been made.

2 Likes

Your request probably fits here:

6 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

@pm215 you should be good to go! Thanks for the note, it was affecting two other users too (it was in my alerts).

Looks like you have some grading to catch up on… :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Minor bug @brandon: looking at the Pirates of the Caribbean movies on the search page, the series reflects the wrong number of movies:

2 Likes

The reason is I just saw part 1 and 5 and did not bother to add the in-between ones.

1 Like

Natively should be filling in that number correctly, though, regardless of which one(s) you submitted.

2 Likes

Ah, I see somebody else meanwhile added the in-between ones, then the number should of course be correct, yes.

1 Like

Fixed

Actually, @eefara is correct. @mic if you only upload one pirates movie and we see it’s part of the series, we’ll auto fill out the rest of the movie series… although it might be an hour later.

3 Likes

What about a website to convert ASIN to ISBN:

It looks like their free tier includes unlimited searches/conversions.

Edit: instructions for finding Audible ASIN

1 Like

This https://learnnatively.com/book/b59e01bcf3/ does not parse but this 少女マンガじゃない! 1 下駄箱からラブレター...じゃなくて果たし状!? | L24 does and the only difference is a / at the end, which makes no difference for other book links. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

A minor issue: the number of gradings doesn’t match. I guess it’s due to the limited number of gradings that are taken into account by the algorithm, but it’s a bit confushing when there are pages of comparisons just under where it says “11 gradings”.

eta: Further to this, I’ve noticed the number of gradings that appears above ‘Aggregate’ isn’t always the same, which I would have expected it to be if the algorithm only considers a specific number of ratings.

These have only been graded by me, but the number of 'algorithm' gradings vary quite a bit.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, that’s not the issue. The issue is going to audiobooks from a physical book / ebook… as they don’t have ISBNs. You’re right that they can have ASINs, but those will be distinct from anything I can look at in my database.

That’s good to know… but unfortunately I have no theories on why that would happen :joy:

Are all these additional gradings ‘extra’ gradings? I don’t currently count extra gradings in the grading count as I want people to be able to use the grading count as an indicator for how confident we are in a grading.

3 Likes

I assume so. I think it might be helpful to have a tooltip next to the ‘algorithm’ gradings to clarify this, as I think it could be confusing for (new) users who may not have read the page about gradings. It might look a bit odd to the casual user to have ‘11 gradings’ above a list of 100+ comparisons that are also labeled as gradings.

2 Likes

A question about this - Should this also have autopopulated all of the Audible links for books that were already in the database?
Some books have an Audible version listed on the book page on Amazon, but the audiobook is not listed on Natively (and therefore can’t be found via the audible search filter)
Examples: x, x, x, x, x
Any idea why? :thinking:

4 Likes

Ah, that’s disappointing! Unfortunately, there are two reasons why this happens

• It was added early in Natively’s history (like before August of 2021). Applies to your first 3 links.
  • The audiobook was added to the amazon page after the book was uploaded to Natively. Applies to your last 2 links.

Audible coverage will be spotty unfortunately. I’d encourage people to add these links if they don’t see them on the page!

3 Likes