Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

It’s only happening here…

1 Like

:confused: well i’m not sure. It’s not happening to me and I don’t think it’s a server issue.

Mind changing browsers? Checking out your dev console? Your browser specs?

1 Like

I’ll clear the cache and see if that does something.

It’s Firefox last version. Hadn’t any issues until now, and it’s working fine in other discourse instances.

1 Like

@brandon On Patreon, can you create an official tier for what will eventually become the premium account donation tier? Or do you not want to do that until you’re ready for premium? I’m just asking because I was thinking about donating and thought it might be convenient to set it up in a future-proof way instead of having to change it down the line when the premium feature was officially added.

(I guess from your timeline in the other topic in might only be a few months away anyway, but figured I’d ask.)

4 Likes

well, it certainly won’t exceed $5 a month, so if you start a monthly donation at that rate, I’ll roll you over straight into premium.

I don’t really want to make official tiers until I’m ready for it I don’t think, but yes $5 a month will do it :slight_smile:

I may grandfather some supporters that are at a slightly lower rate into into premium too, but haven’t figured it all out yet.

Edit: And, as always, just want to mention that all donations are really appreciated!! While I know that I’m not the best / most active Patreon wrt to messaging, your support does really help. Hopefully I’ll be more communicative after premium!

8 Likes

Discourse won’t let me post in Korean Beta - Feedback from Korean Users because I’ve posted 3 times in a row… :rofl:

Finished the 두루책방 - Free (series) | L0-20 series, and high teens seems about right for the most difficult books. A handful are at L20, but I’m pretty sure they don’t have any TOPIK 4 grammar, and they don’t include idioms or other things that might make the language difficult. Not a big deal, I’ll leave it up to you whether to bump them down a level. :slightly_smiling_face:

Submitted feedback on this a while ago, but book 1, 달의 그림자 그림자의 바다 - 예스24, is missing from 십이국기 (series) | L35??. The current book 1, 마성의 아이 | L35?? should be book 0, as it’s a prequel.

download

And just gonna leave this here… :innocent:

3 Likes

Where exactly is this Patreon people keep mentioning?

3 Likes

Here ya go: https://www.patreon.com/learnnatively

5 Likes

Thx! I look forward to becoming a patron on Friday then :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There’s also ko-fi if you’d prefer to make a one-off donation rather than a recurring subscription. The “buy me a coffee” button is on the learnnatively front page next to the “become a patron” button.

6 Likes

Patreon allows you to close off a tier to not allow future supporters onto it, but maintains the current supporters on it. So as long as those people don’t cancel their support, they can stay at that level. And you can create a new public tier for 5$ (or whatever price).

2 Likes

Does anyone else find it impossible to grade manga against prose (and vice versa)? They’re just too different in format for me to compare them and feel like I’m doing anything near justice to either. On top of that, seeing the manga I have that’s in the 27-29 range and comparing against my novels ranked similarly…I’d consider the “equally” ranked novel easier every time. I’ve been thinking about why that is, but the difference in format is a factor. Prose just flows better. (I’m fully aware this could be a “me/my brain” thing going on here and not representative of the norm.)

I went looking at my gradings this morning and the sheer quantity of skips that were due to manga<->prose comparisons was kind of depressing. Obviously the answer is that I need to read more prose books!

9 Likes

I do have trouble comparing them, and I’m not even sure I’m doing justice when grading them.

4 Likes

Yes, I always skip comparisons between manga and prose, they’re nothing alike in my mind. I also sometimes skip comparisons between modern novels and out of copyright short stories. An older text will be more difficult generally, but when I’m asked to compare 10 difficult pages with 300 easier ones, my mind just goes blank. They’re not the same thing at all.

5 Likes

If people feel strongly about it, perhaps a product request would be a good idea - a setting to block manga/prose comparisons for those that don’t like them, for example. :thinking:

2 Likes

I feel this so strongly. I love Aozora short stories and if I read a novel length of some of them they’d easily be 40+, but at just a handful of pages my sense of effort and difficulty is different.

Likewise, there is a modern short story (コンビニアンスストア様 I think?) that is around 25 but if full length would easily be 30ish.

5 Likes

I would definitely vote for that. An option to block manga vs. prose would be awesome. Honestly, a setting where you can only grade a format against another of that same format (whether “normal” gradings or extra gradings) would be even better; the “Other” category might end up being a little weird, so that would take some thought, granted.

3 Likes

Depends which ones. Sometimes yes… But it looks like almost all my skips/blocks are bc one of the items I didn’t actually finish.

I’m surprised you find the novels easier than the manga. For me it’s usually the opposite (though I’ve only completed one novel in that range, and only 11 novels total… so that could be related)

5 Likes

I always found novels easier than manga - even when I had read exactly one manga and one novel, so it’s not a matter of experience necessarily, just preference. The text in a novel flows better, and you have so much context to draw conclusions from. In manga you usually only have dialogue, which I still have more trouble understanding than complicated descriptions for some reason. Similarly, say I can read a novel more or less fluently (minus the necessary lookups) and understand everything without much effort. Now show me one sentence out of that novel without context, and it suddenly takes me way more effort to understand it. Not sure exactly how to explain it, but that’s how it is.

6 Likes

You may have noticed I went through all the bug tickets today. Even if I didn’t respond to you, if your thread has the ‘request approved’ tag, do know that it was approved :slight_smile:

Totally open to that! :slight_smile:

Yeah it’s pretty impossible :sweat_smile:

If it helps, I’d say you could also think of your difficulty assessment in terms of recommending to someone else. But honestly, that probably doesn’t change the dilemma much…

7 Likes