Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

Heh, it tells me “Grading Book … 0 / ~2585” :sweat_smile:

The grading experience is not great if you have a lot of books. In particular I find it is not very good at selecting books to grade against that are an easy harder/easier choice to make – often it picks a book I read a decade ago and have only a very vague memory of, for instance.

5 Likes

I feel bad because there’ll be ones that I’ve read just within the past month and while I still have an impression of the story, I don’t still have an impression of what the language was like, so it’s only sometimes that I can definitively say that they were harder or easier than the more recent one that it wants me to grade against. Sometimes I’ll check a book’s current level and go “hmm…” and then 99% of the time still click “skip,” 'cause I don’t know! My skips number almost 6x my completed gradings, and I’m sure it’s only going to go up.

For some reason, I feel like the difficulty of novels sticks with me longer than that of manga, even when we’re talking series that are at least a handful of volumes long. And I still mostly read manga.

3 Likes

So in preparation for the 2024 Reading Bingo, in case “read a book with a one-character title” gets picked as a prompt, I’ve been browsing the catalog. I got to pg 166 and then…

It’s the same with every page after that, too. It loads, shows that I’m on a new page, but nothing’s different from pg 166 except for the error message. Pg 166 and earlier all work fine still.

I know it’s not actually the last page and is just showing more after that by mistake, because if I switch to “sort by difficulty level (asc.),” it takes most of 5 pages to get to the start of the L20s with those settings.

Heck, I tried going back to “level (desc.)” and jumping straight to the last page and:

1 Like

@pm215 that is quite a tally haha. You must have a lot of temporary - to - temporary comparisons, eesh. I know, having a lot of book comparisons can be annoying, but you can do two things to manage it:

• You can block items you don’t remember
  • You can grade only one item via the item page ‘grade’ button, rather than do them all at once.

Yeah I know, once you go above 10,000, the pagination breaks. Eventually i’ll fix, but for the time being, just switch the sort to the opposite :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Do you plan to do both community and personal tags or just one?

2 Likes

Just community to start off. Planning just book tags to start off, that will be more than enough as a first iteration. The main goals here is to get a basic implementation of tag input & management:

• tag creation (users can create community tags, but need approval)
  • tag types (genre / content tags to start)
  • tag voting (allow users to vote up/down on tags… like anilist)
  • series tags / book volume tags (default to series tags, but needs a mechanism to allow tagging a book)
  • spoiler tags (allows initial user to specify if it’s a spoiler, other users to flag as spoiler)

This may sound like a lot, but it’s really just one widget on the book page (similar UI to AniList). The actual book search filtering, video tags, other tag types (accent, pacing) and other features will come in a followup branch, the week after.

Personal tags, while they may have some shared ui & data aspects will be handled pretty differently than community tags.

10 Likes

That sounds really nice!

Is there a chance that we could import the tags that are already there on anilist as a one-time import for new books (and once for everything that exists at the moment)? I understand that it would be non-trivial, but it would be a shame to not use such a well-curated wealth of data from a much bigger community.

2 Likes

It’s definitely something to think about, I agree it’d be really nice. There are a few different sources we could pull from. However, I’m focusing just on the input implementation for now :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@brandon
I wrote a review about a book I just finished, then changed my star rating after the fact. To my surprise, this caused the review to disappear. I found it and reposted it, but then I checked another book I reviewed but then changed my star rating (what can I say, I’m indecisive), and that review is gone too (and I have no way of retrieving it). Is that expected behaviour? If so, shouldn’t there be a warning when you try to change the star rating?

4 Likes

Oh my! I did not realize that was a bug… a really bad one too. I hope we didn’t lose too many written reviews that way :weary:

It’s now fixed… ugh! Really appreciate the note and shocked that we haven’t discovered it before now.

To be clear, the new functionality simply updates your ‘overall rating’ and will not change anything else.

5 Likes

Thank you. I suppose there’s no way to retrieve lost reviews, right?

No, not really. I could try to scour through past database saves for reviews with comments, but there’s no way to tell if they were legitimate deletions or not.

If someone thinks they’ve lost reviews let me know and I may be able to find them for you… but going through in a general way would be really hard and time intensive.

You could certainly make a case for logging all changes to reviews, but I haven’t done that.

4 Likes

There may be more, but two reviews I’m positive I’ve lost are of these two books:

家庭用安心坑夫 | L38 (learnnatively.com)

硝子の塔の殺人 | L34 (learnnatively.com)

4 Likes

I got this today on ダイヤのA 2 | L25

It shows the gradings on vol 1, but not 2 onward (or at least 2-7; I didn’t check beyond that). I checked later volumes of a handful of other series, but they all worked fine.

Update 10/31: It’s doing it on 夏目友人帳 2 | L27 and onward now too. Don’t remember if that was one of the ones I checked yesterday or not, though.

2 Likes

I know that people already complained about the choices of stuff being compared, but that one is a bit wild :rofl:

Level 52 novel versus level 25 manga…

4 Likes

Ah, I didn’t think about this use case :joy: :sweat_smile:.

Basically, I’m prompting all comparisons between items where we have ‘no clue’ (i.e. no range on it). However, that set of ‘no clue’ does include items where we only have a ‘bottom’ range.

Also, I would assume that i’d prompt you to grade that level 25 item against things around level 25 first which you should have many of… so there’s a prioritization issue there as well, hmm.

7 Likes

When data export finally happens this, it will be easier to recover, because you could always have a backup of your library backup in an csv/xml/xls file, so maybe throwing in a reviews export would be handy too.

Granted a vast majority won’t be exporting the data, but I like to keep a copy of some services at hand, just in case.

4 Likes

Tags are here! At least, only for books. As I said, this is only a v1 to quickly get things into your hands, i’ll continue working on this for the next week.

Things to note

• This is essentially a copy of Anilist and the prepopulated options for genres & content tags are from there
  • Search filters has not yet been implemented. Movie & TV has not yet been implemented
  • By default, when you add a genre or content tag it opts in to adding it as a series tag (if a series exists), but you can uncheck this option
  • Any tag you can click and vote on, indicating if you think it’s a main / major / minor / not relevant element to the story. The percentage is simply a weighted average score… where ‘main’ = 100%, not relevant = 0%, major = 75, minor = 25
  • Spoiler tag options exist when creating, but do not have any report if you think an existing tag should be marked spoiler
  • AniList has a lot of NSFW tags. NSFW handling probably needs to be handle within this bucket of work

In general, since these are AniList tags, there’s no focus on language learning. I think i’ll probaby quickly add an ‘Accents’ and / or ‘Language’ tags section pretty quick. Pacing / mood tags similar to Story Graph will require different handling, but also on the agenda.

All in all, exciting times! Come join the discussion in the newly created Tags, Tags, Tags [Official Management] thread!

21 Likes

I noticed today that despite the page acting like there’s something to scroll horizontally on mobile, the one thing you’d expect to be able to scroll doesn’t actually:

Especially with tags now, I think you should actually be able to scroll the headings list so you can jump straight to the bottom sections too.

Actually, “Tags” should be between “Gradings” and “Activity,” but it’s not there at all. Still stands, though.

1 Like

Hmm… I can scroll horizontally on mobile. What’s your browser & OS?

Agreed. I do intend to do that :slight_smile:

1 Like