Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

Other people, like me, might by now have added Natively as exception and do therefore no longer get these warnings.

4 Likes

@brandon Apparently https://learnnatively.com/user/seanblue/library is now https://learnnatively.com/user/seanblue/jpn/books? The former is what I had bookmarked and it no longer works. :sweat_smile: Just want to make sure this was intentional.

2 Likes

The rating algorithm (I hope I did not mix it up with grading) seems to compare a given book constantly with other books that have its original level.

I think it should instead compare dynamically in the sense: if the book (that starts, say, at level 25, but actually is at level 30) is considered more difficult than some other one (of say level 28) it should next compare it to some still more difficult one (> 28) and not continue to compare it with further books around level 25. Of course, if the upper limit is surpassed (> 30) the algorithm should again compare it with less difficult ones, and of course there are some problems to be solved if there are not as much books to compare with at the start of somebody’s reading career. But this way the algorithm will more easily zoom into the actual level of the book. If not, the level 25 book will end up to get compared with 6 easier books and never find an upper limit.

4 Likes

/library/ now seems to redirect to /books/ and /jpn/ got added once /kor/ was released, so it seems to be right?

The only thing is that the website seems to be struggling to do the two redirects it has to do in this case at the same time to load “/jpn/” and then change “/library” to “/books”, because these two work:

https://learnnatively.com/user/seanblue/books

https://learnnatively.com/user/seanblue/jpn/library

Not sure how much you want to rely on those legacy URLs though.

I don’t mind changing my bookmark. I was just mentioning it in case it was a bug and not intentional.

2 Likes

Ah, that’s a good callout. Like @Megumin said I do have a variety of redirects, but I guess somehow I missed that one. Should update.

Ok! Well let me know if you’re able to log a false positive, would really help. I’m not entirely sure why I’ve gotten a batch of false positives recently… I haven’t received any feedback that i’m doing anything incorrectly. The only valid issue I’ve found is with regards to email links, which @cat noted, but that should be fixed.

That is intentional, so not a bug.

That’s a very valid opinion and I think ideally it’d work similar to that… essentially I think we should generate personal difficulty rankings and combine each users rankings together to form the community’s. However, in the current system, your proposal would give one user too much power to adjust the rating if they have an outlier opinion. This is pretty similar to the discussions we’ve had before, such as Drag & drop difficulty grading - #2 by GrumpyPanda and the linked comments there from this thread.

You’re of course welcome to add a product request and we could discuss more there :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Trying to mark a partial update with https://learnnatively.com/season/caa5fa4cf6/ and it’s saying “Issues with our servers”. Have tried from both my dashboard, and the series page.

Also the series title only displays as ワタモテ (its nickname), instead of the full 私がモテないのはどう考えてもお前らが悪い. It also doesn’t show up under search, using the non-abbreviated title.

Happy to send that via the Leave Feedback button, that’s better

2 Likes

I think I’ve run into a similar issue and the cause was that the “total pages” field was not filled in under “Basic Info”.

3 Likes

It’s a TV season… But maybe it needs more time to sync with the database first or something? Guess I’ll try again later Nm, the show’s already been on the site for a while.

Tangentially the manga happens to be missing the Total Pages too (looks like it’s missing on Amazon in the first place)

:person_facepalming: totally missed it was a show!

2 Likes

With the upcoming Spanish update, I’ve been thinking about what books I would be able to mark as read. However, I just realized, most of those books I’ve read 3-6 years ago, so grading them would be difficult. Like, I can distincly remember two novels being much harder than the others, but for the rest I wouldn’t know where to even start.

I haven’t had that problem with Korean, because I started reading more recently, so does anyone have tips on how to deal with that? Or should I just not grade those books to avoid inaccurate gradings?

4 Likes

If you have the time, you could flip through those books again. Not necessarily on the kennel of a full re-read, but just enough to jot down notes or see if anything reminds you of the general difficulty.

If you don’t have the books/don’t have time/are having a hard time telling what was more difficult, I personally would just skip grading them.

6 Likes

I have my whole decade plus history of Japanese books on Natively, so there are a lot of older books on it I don’t really remember well. My approach is that if the comparison is really easy I do it (eg I can confidently say an Akagawa Jirou is easier than some essays by Tanizaki even if I barely remember either). Otherwise I make liberal use of the “don’t ask me to grade against this book” option hidden under the gearwheel config icon in the grading dialog.

I do think Natively should try to prioritize asking you about books you’ve read recently rather than ones with a completion date many years in the past. That would make me more likely to put in gradings, I think.

12 Likes

Hmm… what do you mean by a ‘partial update’? Is that a 'partial episode update"?

If so, be sure to have your current episode # equal to 1 or above. I think it’s easy to leave it to zero. If that’s not the issue, mind giving me a bit more info?

I agree with the approach @pm215 recommends! And duly noted @pm215, the prompting could be improved… but ultimately I think it’s a pretty small issue as you have the tools (skip, block) to handle it pretty well.

5 Likes

Ahhh, that’s exactly it. I was thinking of the Ep box as “episode finished”, but I see now that when you click “mark partial episode”, it changes to “Current Episode”. So it was on 0, just like you’re suggesting.

Maybe it should be set so it just turns into 1, if the user tries to submit it as 0?

1 Like

yeah i think that’d make sense!

3 Likes

FWIW i’ve filed a false positive report which they approved… so shouldn’t be seeing anymore. Another person on reddit encountered it which prompted me to take action.

6 Likes

I noticed that 檸檬 was missing from Natively (it’s a story for the Aozora Advent) and I requested it, but thought it was odd because I remembered already requesting it. Turns out I did:

It looks like the short story collection is what ended up on my wishlist though (I removed it). Is there a bug relating to same title/author?

1 Like

I didn’t think Natively made that distinction? For example 陰翳礼讃 | L44 is an essay collection but has the Aozora link to the title essay.

2 Likes

That’s terribly inconvenient if so, as the story is 10 pages and the collection is 276. I’d much prefer to have both on the site as they are not the same thing at all in my mind.

5 Likes